tomf
Super Green Thumb

Rapid fire

I get these phone calls, I had one on the answering machine today. The woman starts talking in a nice even pace, easy to follow. When she gets to the phone number it is full auto rapid fire, like her voce hit warp speed. Pen in hand I get the first two numbers. Now it is time to see how many times I have to listen to the message to get the number. I know the people who do this do not even know they are doing it.

Jardin du Fort

.....and it's usually a long number, like 1-888-*%#-&%$# extension (^$@.

Uh, what was that number again?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Proper etiquet is to give the name and number first than the message than the name and number again at the end.

Jardin du Fort

gixxerific wrote:Proper etiquet is to give the name and number first than the message than the name and number again at the end.
Etiquette has gone out the window a long time ago. Except for us old fogies. I think these people are wanting you NOT to get the phone # so that they can sue you for lack of response....

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I don't know about the rest of you good folks but I registered my house and cell phone on the "Do Not Call" list but still get cold calls for credit card companies wanting to save me money even though I have no credit card debt.

Then there were the political calls from the left and right wondering how I was thinking about voting this past election.

Add to that the Arbitron survey on my TV watching habits and I've had it up to here with the intrusions.

I actually cancelled home phone service about a year ago since I have 2 cell phones active in my house most of the time. I mean, how much communicative devices does one house need. And how much intrusion on my privacy are they willing to take. The obvious answer is-----a lot of it.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I finally signed up for caller ID. It's about $5.00 per month. When the phone rings the number is displayed and added to a incoming call list. No more unwanted answered calls. :wink:

What bugs me is phone number message rhythm. It should be 3 numbers ~ 3 numbers ~ 2 then 2. XXX-XXX-XX,XX Often it's jumbled up

Eric

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Okay, here is some insight from a guy who is nearly deaf. And, I don't use a phone anymore but did . . .

Telephone numbers have no context. They are essentially random numbers.

If someone says, "One, two, three, %*)^, #%&^." You can probably ascertain that it is, "One, two, three, four, five." Understanding, or a good guess, doesn't require the precise hearing of the words after "One, two, three." Telephone numbers are NOT like this.

I could fake hearing for years and years. We all do it, subconsciously. If we hear, "Good morning, %*)^ #%&^ *%^%, today?" We respond, "Fine, thanks! How are you?"

A few years ago, it became just too much "#%&^" and with a rising inflection at the end of the sentence. It could be "Good morning, how are you, today?" Or, "What the hell are you doing here?" Could be anything. I don't remember when understanding telephone numbers went out the window. Earlier century . . .

Steve

prettygurl

I hate when people leave 5 min messages. Name and number are good enough. I have actually had people run out of room on my VM at work because they went on and on.

applestar
Mod

I heard that political calls are exempt from no-call because it's a "public service" :roll:

...I occasionally/rarely get junk calls on my cell phone. Had one yesterday --
cell phone rang and it was a same area code number - didn't recognize it but looked familiar so I answered it --
"hello, my name is blah blah. You recently participated in a survey"
"no I didn't"
"...in the survey, you indicated you are interested in a new job"
"no I'm not. You have a wrong number. Please don't call again." tap
...2 hrs later... A call from the same number. I didn't answer that time. :roll:

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Some time ago my wife was down in North Cal for a medical emergency in the family. I left the phone on in case she need to get a hold of me. I work nights so I sleep in the late afternoon. A call comes in so I get up and answer it. The woman starts her sales pitch at 100 miles per hour. I could just have hung up but being a bit of a smart azz I told her she woke me up, this did not even slow down the sales pitch. I told her that as I was asleep and could not follow what she was saying and that I work nights, and if she gave me her home phone number I would call her at 3:30 AM on my lunch break. She said she did not want me calling her at home. I said that "you do not want me to call you at home and wake you up to talk about your business?" She said"no", I then asked her "how do you think I feel about it?". She hung up.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”