applestar
Mod

:shock: :lol: :roll:

webmaster
Site Admin

A crowsnest and a picaroon with a telescope should be mandatory on all battleships. :lol:

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

It's impossible to say how much I absolutely love our northern neighbors and their dry, understated sense of humor. "Your call," indeed! :lol:

Thank you, Canadians, for being your own wonderful selves. Would that I had moved to your country some decades past.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

I heard a version of this story in 1972 while in the navy. I love it every time I hear it.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I would think the ships would have maps and know where they were, is this a true story or a joke?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It's been posted a number of times/ places as a true story. I saw it on FaceBook awhile back.

Snopes urban legend debunking says NOT TRUE:

https://www.snopes.com/military/lighthouse.asp

they say this joke has been floating around since 1931 and has appeared in humor collections.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Marlingardener, I only met one real naval captain which is the equivalent to a bird colonel in the other services. Our captain was a Lt Commander. In the Vietnam days ships were assigned to one grade lower ranks than in previous years. I know during the Cuban missile crisis the skipper of my ship was a full Commander which is like a Lt Colonel in other branches. I thought our skipper was a genius. He could parallel park a 400 foot ship like a taxicab.

Skippers are pretty careful guys. Bumping your boat is a big no no. The first regulation in the marine regulation manual is "avoid collisions". They really mean it if you're a licensed master.

:lol:

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Authenticated or not, this story reveals deep truths about each country that I feel reflect accurately on each, at least as I have observed them (not actually being a military guy, but growing up in a military family, with traditions of service on both sides--on my father's, back in a straight line to mid-19th century Britain; my brother is definitely the fifth and perhaps the sixth generation to serve).

The American: going to get his way, dammit, come h*ll or high water. He is the biggest he has seen (thank you, Firesign Theater) *and* he has company with him--a flotilla, in fact.

The Canadian: understated, not as large or numerous, but steadfast. Also humorous to a fault. And--the most important aspect--he wins :D using a tactic very reminiscent of (take your pick) judo or, my pick, aikido.

Cynthia

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

always choose the lesser of two weevils

Eric

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”