tomf
Super Green Thumb

Dream about a clean brook.

I had a dream last night about the brook I grew up next to that ran through our yard. In my dream the brook was health and running clear and clean. When my parents moved in my older sister used to go swimming in it, until my folks were told the brook was polluted. People dumped crap and hell know what else in it, the worst part was that people ran their raw sewage into it. As a kid it was hard not to play in, I got very sick and almost died, I think the sewage may have been why.
Well it has been a long time and the trash has been cleaned out of it, no more sewerage is dumped into it. I have a friend that lived in Detroit and said he would see the Detroit River burn. The Charles River in Boston was so dead that the worms at the bottom were gone. There are so many good things that have been done to clean up the environment, more to do, we must always respect the Earth or we will pay a price beyond money.
“You don’t know what you lost until it’s goneâ€

LA47
Green Thumb

It's been 45 years ago but I remember the south fork of the Couer Da' Alene river that ran near the mines around Kellog, Id. Coming down the mountain it was this beautiful tumbling spring...until it got to the mining area. Then it turned into this nasty gray brown sluggish thing that absolutely nothing grew even 20 feet away. 20 years later we drove along it and it was in the process of being cleaned up. It was clear and plants were starting to grow near it. 10 years after that it was again a beautiful life sustaining river again. It takes a lot of years, work and money to repair what man has done. Somethings cannot be replaced and are lost forever.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Earth Day will be coming up soon - in mid-April, Tom.

LA, you prompt me to think back on celebrating the 1st Earth Day by attending the seminars and such at North Idaho College. I hadn't lived here long and was a little dismayed over, what seemed to me to be, a lack of interest in the environment. My wife and I sat right up close in one of these so that I could hear what the PR man from Bunker Hill Mining had to say about the river.

The guy had the most expensive suit that I had ever seen. It made me wonder what group of the public he was attempting to impress. He wanted to tell us about the $$ Bunker Hill had put into a scrubber on their smelter.

I had a question about the Coeur d'Alene River. The moderator called on me and I told him about the difference between the river upstream and how it left his industrial site. Mr. Bunker Hill told me about the scrubber. I asked why money wasn't being spent controlling runoff into the river. He said that the shareholders in the company wouldn't be likely to approve the cost. My followup was that the citizens of Idaho had a stake in that river.

Well folks, that was in 1970. By 1983 Bunker Hill wasn't paying anything for clean-up either. The taxpayers were and are in one of the largest Superfund sites in the US!

The State of Idaho? Oh, the state government has fought the superfund designation from the get-go! After all, it discourages folks from visiting and enjoying winter skiing and that sort of thing.

The state legislature did something to protect another industry. I had left off working for the bluegrass farmers several years before and was kind of dismayed that I'd been involved in the burning of hundreds of acres of cropland after each harvest. The EPA wanted that whole thing monitored and I thought, more power to them. The state kicked the props out from under the scheme by taking over the pollution monitoring and then refusing to fund it. That shut the program down. Weellll, a federal judge shut the industry down, too! If the law says so much pollution is allowed but there's no way to know when that is exceeded - industry curtailed!

Oh boy! Some very unhappy money guys who thought they'd end-run the feds by getting their boys & girls in the state legislature to "stand their ground" in support of state jawbz! It was a big mistake electing those idiots!

It takes people working together to preserve our environments. Generally, we call that "government." I hope we all have dreams of clean air and pure water.

Steve

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I am with you and I think highly of your involvement, I just hope you did not cross the line and put an end to this discussion, forum rules and all.
Portland put in a new pipe, it was expensive but it will keep the sewer overflow from going into the river, sometimes we have to look at the long run. If we need to make jobs I can think of few better jobs than creating a health environment.
My kid went to China and many of the photos are full of a brown smog, he said the air was very dirty. I hope China wakes up and decides to do something about this.
I was reading about how much oxygen trees make and how much carbon they pull from the air. It makes me feel good that by preserving my forest I am putting many tons of oxygen into the air and pulling many tons of carbon from the air, my land is like a big air purifier.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”