prettygurl

Happy Groundhog Day

Happy Groundhog Day

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

"This is pitiful. A thousand people freezing their butts off waiting to worship a rat. What a hype. Groundhog Day used to mean something in this town. They used to pull the hog out, and they used to eat it. You're hypocrites, all of you!" -Phil Connors

Sorry I couldn't resist. Happy Groundhog Day!!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Happy Imbolc - which is the original pagan holiday which became Ground Hog day. Imbolc marks the point half way between winter solstice and spring equinox, so we are half way to spring! :) Yay!

Imbolc, which occurs around February 2, celebrates the growth of the light and the first stirrings of life as the Earth begins to reawaken for Spring. The snowdrop is one of the first flowers to appear, sometimes fighting its way through a covering of snow. Part of the traditional celebration of Imbolc was lighting lots of candles.

prettygurl

Francis, I love it!

RG, Thank you for the info.

"Watch out for that first step, it's a doozy!"

"This is one time where television really fails to capture the true excitement of a large squirrel predicting the weather."

"I'd like to say a prayer and drink to world peace."

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

There are 90 days between December 21, 2012 and March 20, 2013.

The 45th day between the Winter Solstice and the Spring Equinox is today, February, 3rd!

By the time the Gregorian calendar came into existence in 1582, the Julian calendar had slid backwards until the Spring Equinox was on March 11th - 10 days too early! The new calendar-makers skipped 10 days so that March 21st was again the day the sun crossed the Earth's equator on its way north.

Even with adding .0075 days to the solar calendar each year, the Gregorian calendar is still on it's way backwards! This despite the fact that Ground Hog's day is a day too early in 2013!

So of course, the easiest way to deal with all of this is just to allow the Ground Hog to get a little more sleep!

Steve

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Winter, slumbering in the open air, wears on his smiling face a dream . . . of spring. Wait!

It seems that there was a mix up in the Roman calendar which preceeded the Julian calendar! Yes! Something about the Mensis Intercalaris which wasn't a leap century, year or day. No, the Mensis Intercalaris was a month of some 27 days. But, it should have been 28 days (or 26, I forget) during that last year before the calendar-makers working for Julius took over.

So, today is Ground Hog's Day!

Steve
Do you every have déjà vu?
Didn't you just ask me that?

prettygurl

:)

prettygurl

:)

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”