lily51
Greener Thumb

what's that noise?

My husband and I thought we were the only ones hearing tthese loud Booms from time to time. They are like a sonic boom, can be heard far away or so close to be felt in the house. tonight all our children and their families we're over, and one o f them brought it up, to which everyone agreed to hearing them. The noise can go on for hours or a short time.
Lots of conjectures.

Then someone asked if we've heard the drone planes in the area...high pitched whining sound. Said they actually saw them twice, once the drone flying very fast, once very low and slow.

What's going on????

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

Is there a military base nearby your location? I'm kinda in the mood to watch the original Red Dawn now. In my area I get those booming sounds too, but that's Disney shooting off their fireworks.

lorax
Greener Thumb

I'd go with air force base. When I lived up north there was constant noise like that from the CFB's various aircraft.

Down here, when we hear the low-bass booming sounds it's the volcano, but that's definitely not what's going on in Ohio.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

It may be you have drone trainnig area near you.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

This close to new year's eve I'd go with left over fireworks. My AF pilot friends tell me that breaking the sound barrier at an altitude low enough to hear is rare. We heard sonic booms the Saturday after 9/11. A nuclear plant nearby had a mock assault from airborne units from Fort Bragg. We came to find out that these were pretty routine. In any event, Bragg had forgotten to notify the necessary powers and Shaw AFB scrambled a flight of fighter jets to investigate.. Fortunately, someone at Bragg talked to the proper authority and the AF didn't blow anything up. The planes were flying at about 2000 feet when they went supersonic right over our heads. It was noisey. A few locals reported broken windows. That's why the military flyers rarely go super sonic anymore.

lily51
Greener Thumb

There is a guard base about 15 miles from here. The sounds don't come from that direction, and can go on sporadically for an afternoon, too much for it to be sonic booms. And I really don't like the drone sighting.
I remember when planes started breaking the sound barrier, the public was notified so we would know what was going on.....sitting in a classroom and hearing it was quite exciting.
if it is related to the mmilitary, couldn't they say they were doing some tests?

prettygurl

They might also be from shale drilling.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”