Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Big solar storm with effect the earth this week!

I guess the sun is like a muhroom every 11 years it has a big storm. A mushroom grows in whats called a flush which occurs every 11 to 13 days! Your cell phones may be effected which may be a good thing for drivers!

webmaster
Site Admin

Well that's good news. Hopefully it will knock out GPS units, too. Nothing worse than getting stuck behind a driver who's driving slow because of his GPS unit, or worse, pecking on it.

Let me apologize ahead of time, I don't mean this to apply to everyone who uses a GPS. I'm just talking about a certain few people who use GPS units in an improper manner.

Some people, not all of them, but some of them, don't realize what a nuisance they are when incorrectly using those GPS units, because of the sudden stops and slow driving. I can't tell you how many times I've been behind a GPS Driver who comes to a sudden stop in the middle of a block, then just sits there, in the middle of the street, blocking traffic. Then they start up again at a crawl. :roll:

Beyond that, I believe it keeps drivers from actually "learning" their local roads and neighborhoods. I know a woman who has lived here for years who constantly gets lost on her way to local markets, lakes, etc. because her eyes and ears are focused on "Turn left, 300 feet" instead of the road she is on.

And that leads to another GPS Driver annoyance. I've been solicited for directions by so many people with a GPS. What is the deal with that? I never get stopped by someone with an actual map. The lost are always, always, always the ones with a GPS unit. It's near impossible to get lost with an actual map. I drove cross country with maps and never once got lost, not in any town, village, or back road. Not once. Let me repeat, I drove from the West Coast, to the East Coast and never got lost once. Maps are wonderful. They're the best.

I never get lost around here and I've only lived in my area for six months. So if the sun takes out every GPS unit, I'm all for it. :)
Last edited by webmaster on Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah right, and the world was going to end back in December, too! :)

Be afraid, be afraid, be very afraid! (that's the media message)

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Marlingardener wrote:If cell phones are affected, I have a neighbor who may just lay down in the middle of the road and let nature take its course. That man is NEVER off his (ahem) phone.
Please sun god, deliver us from constant talkers!
Sounds a bit like my wife. She works full time and is on the phone most of the day talking to clients that are buying houses and going to closings. She deals with banks, realtors, homeowners, home buyers, surveyors, etc. in her line of work. This time doesn't go on her cell phone, that's with her work phone.

However, she is still on the cell phone to the tune of close to 3,000 minutes a month when off work. I get the bill and can't believe she can talk that much after being on the phone all day long with work. My usage is usually around 300 or so minutes a month, mostly with her----------go figure.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Maybe they should make a cell phone disrupter called a Sun Blaster. I bet everyone would buy one if it disrupts cell phones at 10 foot around you!. I would then have a hat made saying I carry a cell phone disruptor so keep your distance. This would work great in restaurants when you get tired of listinging to someone talking on the phone during your whole meal!

tomf
Super Green Thumb

We have a hands free cellphone law in Oregon, but looking at the other drivers you would never know.
I have sun spots on my hands.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Relax Frank. It too will pass.

Eric

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

GPS failures will work about as well as the rapture for air and nautical traffic.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

I am both yes and no on the GPS thing. 4 years ago G had heart surgery in Grapevine, TX (read north Dallas). I stayed in a hotel about 3 miles from the hospital. Had I not had a GPS I would still be driving around Dallas lost as a goose. Of course the GPS sent me on some wild goose chases. Like one time I was trying to find a restaurant and ended up in a not so nice neighborhood and had to take a toll road to get out but had NO change. I ran the toll booth. :oops: When I worked for Lowe's as a Kitchen Designer I had customers in very rural areas. Asking for directions was a joke. "Take hwy 82 until you see a field with 3 black cows then take your next left. If you cross the bridge you gone too far." So I used my GPS and often ended up on dirt farm roads in the middle of cane fields. OK if it was dry but a real pain if it had been raining. Sigh.

G gets agrevated with me when we take road trips because I make him stop so I can get REAL maps. I love maps. Using a real map we take back roads instead of the interstate and see things that we would never see otherwise. I am glad I have a GPS for those trips to cities that I am not familiar with but honestly I could live without it.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

speaking of maps they are the best especially town map! When I went to the sport shows I made sure I went to the local book store and got a map of the area which was on a 10 mile radius of the town. You would be suprised how detailed they are.!

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I have an organic auto navigation system for my car, not only does it tell me where to go but also how to drive. :lol:

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

tomf wrote:I have an organic auto navigation system for my car, not only does it tell me where to go but also how to drive. :lol:
LMFAO

Eric

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Eric - ditto :!:

One of my most unusual experiences with a map was in 1993. I was in the USNR and had the opportunity to do my annual training in London. I was there for 3 weeks. On my first weekend I wanted to tour the country side. Stonehenge, Salsbury, Brighton. I arranged for a rental car. A woman I met there wanted to tour as well so we agreed to split the cost. I found a very good map that showed extreme detail even which streets were one way. Now there are no street signs like we are used to in the US. Street names are posted on the sides of buildings. Anyway - I mapped out a route to get out of the city. Highlighted it on the map. Gave my friend the map. Get the car. Of course it is backwards. Stearing wheel on the right. Stick shift. I know how to drive a stick but with my left hand? Ok My friend has the map. She is the navigator. It is 5 pm on a Friday. I ease into the the most horendous traffic and try not to hit any thing. We get to the first round-about and I tell my freiend to let me know where to get off. We circle the round- about once then twice. I am so focused on the traffic that I did not realize that Connie had no idea how to read a map! She had it upside down!

I was tempted to toss her out of the car. Oh well. We eventually managed to get out of the city and had a lovely trip. It was a much needed break since the previous Wednesday I managed to start a riot in front of the American Embassy and had spent the rest of the week with legal services, JAG Officers and in court. Fun times in London.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

So I googled big solar storm 2013 and sure enough the story comes from Faux News, hysteria mongers.

So I looked a little further and found this:

https://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/ ... lar-flare/

Quotes physical scientists publishing in a science journal as saying there is about a 12% chance of the earth being in the path of a major solar flare/storm between now and 2020. IF that would happen, it MIGHT knock out electric power grids, radio transmissions, GPS, etc. Or then again it might not.

I'm not holding my breath! :)

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:So I googled big solar storm 2013 and sure enough the story comes from Faux News, hysteria mongers.
I like it. That's funny. :D

Eric

tomf
Super Green Thumb

But I read it on the internet so it must be true. :wink:

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

He seems to be completely unreceptive
The tests I gave him showed no sense at all
His eyes react to light, the dials detect it
He hears but cannot answer to your call

See me, feel me, touch me, heal me

There is no chance, no untried operation
All hope lies with him and none with me
Imagine through the shock of isolation
When he can suddenly hear and speak and see

His eyes can hear, his ears can see, his lips speak
All the time the needles flick and rock
No machine can give the kind of stimulation
Needed to remove his inner block

Go to the mirror boy
Go to the mirror boy

I often wonder what he is feeling
Has he ever heard a word I've said
Look at him in the mirror dreaming
What is happening in his head

Listening to you, I get the music
Gazing at you, I get the heat
Following you, I climb the mountain
I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you, I see the millions
On you, I see the glory
From you, I get opinions
From you, I get the story

What is happening in his head
Ooooh, I wish I knew
I wish I knew

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Who is that? :wink:

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Yes. Who, is that.

Eric

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

:)

Tommy, by The Who

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote::)
Tommy, by The Who
Go To The Mirror, by The Who. From the album Tommy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPzY30v9mtg

Eric

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I have not been called Tommy since I was a kid, I go by Tom now, but I looked in the mirror anyways. It's scared me.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Go Rainbow for spotting Eric's music. Eric as always you are spot on.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

It hought this post was about the sun storm not Riders on the storm! Ha ha!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Once I rose above the noise and confusion
Just to get a glimpse beyond this illusion
I was soaring ever higher, but I flew too high
Though my eyes could see I still was a blind man
Though my mind could think I still was a mad man
I hear the voices when I'm dreaming,
I can hear them say..................

Eric

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Maybe the solar stom I like a full moon it brings out all the deep thoughts & vampires!!

shadylane
Green Thumb

Thanks for sharing the article, that sun flare was incredible...
We're so fixed on our air wave device, our ways of life and their everyday uses.
I can't help but to think what else it will effect, being nature minded...sigh.
And while questions arrise, I have to ask myself...is there another "save the planet" group going to start making it in their favor to line their pockets?

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I feel your comment is an insulting attack upon people who only want a sustainable and clean environment. The vast majority of economic incentives influencing opinion are defiantly not on the environmental side of the equation.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

This is the 11 year of sunflares and will be the most intense all of 2013. this happens every 11 years! That is a fact with not politics thrown in!!

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Bobberman wrote:This is the 11 year of sunflares and will be the most intense all of 2013. this happens every 11 years! That is a fact with not politics thrown in!!
Exactly. This says the 11year solar peak storm will be the smallest in 100 years.

https://www.space.com/19131-sun-solar-sp ... -2013.html

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Maybe the sun is getting cold!

tomf
Super Green Thumb

It will run out of hydrogen in about 4.5 billion years but for now it is relitivly the same, with some natural variations. The light we see may have been started a very long time ago and been working its way to the surface of the sun. Light is made when electrons skip to the next ring of an atom, this is ionization. The electron jump creates a photon wave, this is what light is. Each ring has a different energy level and each element has a different number of rings. As each ring has different energy level the freqency of the light is different, meaning the color we see is different. We can tell what some thing that is glowing and giving off light is by the bands of colors of the light. This is how we know what distant stars are made of. Where I work we need to know the exact formulary for our metals is being followed, so we test samples with a spectrometer, it heats the metals up and shows what the atoms in it are by displaying them in a band of colors.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

There are probably more dangers on earth than from outer space!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Good thing I chekced this thread. Or else I might not have known I was arleady dead.

Thank you.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Maybe this is really judgement day and they are reviewing your life!

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Please don't feed the trolls.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”