DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Customer's John Deere GX325 Saved $1000.00

about anyway. :D

A customer of mine has been adding transmission oil to his John Deere GX325 because of a leaking Transaxle. He was told by the dealer, they need to replace the upper case $498.00 and the lower case $254.00. :shock:

Separating the two halves and inspecting found no cracks. What I did find was missing sealant. The sealant that was left was very gummy. The hydraulic fluid must have dissolved the factory sealant.

I cleaned up the mated surfaces and applied a gear oil resistant gasket maker. I'll leave it to cure overnight. Tomorrow I will fill the transaxle with hydraulic oil and leave it on the bench. If it doesn't leak, back it goes into the lawn tractor.

Eric

LA47
Green Thumb

Good for you! DH works on various lawn equipment for friends and is re-building a J.D. 314 of his own.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Ah Rats! It does have a hairline crack.

I filled the transaxle this morning with hydraulic oil. Came back sometime later and notice a small spot of oil. :twisted: From this picture the leak is in this area.

Drained the oil back out. Flipped the transaxle over and thoroughly cleaned around the exterior problem area. Mixed up some J B Weld and filled the void and crack. I hope!! Test it again tomorrow.

Eric
Last edited by DoubleDogFarm on Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Good old JB weld, you can even machine it.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”