jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

The very best!

This morning the skies cleared after 2 days of snowing. It's 15° F and the 12 inches of new snow is glistening and sparkling. What a beautiful day.

Wishing each of you the very best on this Christmas Day!

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

It's in the mid 70's, breezy and going to rain later today and into the night, but overall a good day.

Heading out to the in-laws house in a bit for a mid afternoon meal of fried turkey, baked ham, lots of sides and I'm bringing a few loaves of herb bread and salad from the greens of the garden.

Here's hoping all the folks on HG have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Sounds like Christmas wonderland, take a photo. Do you cross country ski or something? And a Merry Christmas to you.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Merry Christmas James.

Off to make Swedish meatballs. :)

Eric

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

My garden and orchard. The deer have been digging for fallen apples.

Sorry, no photographic equipment nor media has yet been developed that can show the brightness and intensity of the sparkles on the fresh snow with the sun shining on it. It has to be witnessed in person.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

OK, everybody pile into the bus for a road trip to Jame's house in Utah to witness the shimmering snow. :lol: :lol:

And here I am sitting trying to cool off with the A/C on to get some of the humidity out of the air. It was 80 degrees in my house a few minutes ago and it's getting ready to rain cats and dogs soon, so the humidity is up there.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Don't envy you that humidity. We don't have that problem here. As you know cold air doesn't hold much water, so when that cold air seeps into our houses and warms up, the relative humidity is very low. We are likely to run a humidifier to help keep our nasal passages from drying out and cuticles from cracking.

Interesting how the climate changes across our country and the different problems we have trying to cope with it. .

prettygurl

oooo pretty snow. Overcast, gloomy, and snow on the ground here. Typical Christmas weather!

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Merry Christmas one and all - the day started out stormy at 3 am then sunny and breezy 70 degrees at 10. Storms blew through then cleared and temps are dropping. We may even get into the 30s by morning.

Lovely holiday - family, friends and obscene amounts of food.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

That snow storm had 1.56 inches of water in it. That is a good drink for the area. Now if it will only melt slowly so it can go into the ground and not run off.

applestar
Mod

Beautiful! :D

Our "white Christmas" was a snow flurry already coating the geound as we came out of my parents house on Christmas eve, and blowing against the windshield/car windows in every color of Christmas lights as we came home.

Never got below 35°F so the snow didn't make it overnight and the double snow tube Santa brought the children will have to wait for another day, but it was lovely non-the-less. Happy holidays. O:)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

We were predicted to have a big snowstorm starting about midnight, so we left the family Christmas celebration early and drove home last night, so as not to get snowed in there or have to drive in a big mess coming home.

So far all we have gotten is freezing rain. Now the forecast for today is

Windy. Rain and snow mixed this morning becoming all snow with some heavy this afternoon.

High temps right around the freezing mark all through the ten day forecast. This is just a few degrees below average for us, but well within the normal range. Winter finally arrived! Much as I hate this weather, it is reassuring to see it, so I can believe we haven't totally screwed up the planet (yet!).

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I love skiing in Utah James.
We have 100" of snow on the ground at the ski area I go to, that is good for this early. I may be ridding my fat skis a lot this year. :lol:
I live at 1200' and snow comes and goes, mostly goes.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

jal_ut wrote:That snow storm had 1.56 inches of water in it. That is a good drink for the area. Now if it will only melt slowly so it can go into the ground and not run off.
So often, our snow goes with a Great Big Blow! The wind slowly picks up with steady warming - reaches near-hurricane force - and there goes all of our nice snow! I suppose that Montana & the Dakotas make some use of it once the moisture has a chance to slow down . . .

Well, we will get a bit more snow today and then things are fairly normal, we are promised, thru the 1st week of the New Year. That should mean that the snow will stay in place.

I just checked the nearest Snotel weather station and that higher elevation is at "103 % of average." A Snotel with a nearby ski resort (Schweitzer) is at "165 % of average" with observations running right at record levels! Grab your skies! Looking good.

Steve 8)

LA47
Green Thumb

Sounds like there's a few skiers here. :) We prefer to sit in the warm house and look out at the beautiful snow we have. :lol: We've been praying for a good snow cover this year. Hopefully we'll get enough to decrease the amount of forest and brush fires that we had last summer. There's not much that is sadder than seeing huge areas of blackened land. There were people here that had a lot of health problems with the amount of smoke that blanked our area for weeks. So far it looks like that won't be a problem this year but we're still hoping for a bunch more snow.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Well, I'm not one of the skier, LA!

I can almost imagine me careening down a slope . . . probably can't even ride a bicycle anymore.

No, I'm just a "booster" . . . that Schweitzer Ski Basin can be seen from my brother's deck :wink: .

Steve

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”