Susan W
Greener Thumb

No tree, again

For about the 3rd year I have no tree in the living room, and I do have lots of pretty handcrafted decorations.
To put this in perspective, when I worked garden centers, I would usually come home with a small one or 'runt', gifted by manager. That situation gone, and no excuse for not buying a small one. The last couple of years I've had the (young) Kitty who re-arranges everything, getting a bit more settled now. Also the toddler g-son who now can handle things better (3 1/2).

This year? Living room is not real big, and houses more important things year 'round. Not one, but 2 looms, a small play area for the g-son with toys, books and rug. Note to self to use the looms more! (I usually use a different one in dining/ all purpose room.) There is a fireplace on one side, so obviously can't push toys, looms, or tree near it. This yr Houston kids coming, and have the 4 1/2 yr old g-daughter. Need play area!!

Meanwhile I am still doing the farmers market, selling more woven and knit items than fresh cut herbs (it is December!). Have things staged for tomorrows market, then take a couple weeks off. Between market, well when I get home about 3 and Tuesday have a massive amount of scrubbing, re-arranging and cooking. (The cooking another segment, but do need things for 3 days, not full meals).

Thanks for listening. Yes, I did put the shiny garland over all the doorways as a token and fluff!

Have a Merry!

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Too funny, or not Charlie. That is a pic of Kitty! I kid you not.

Thanks for the smiles! (Kitty right here wondering why I am laughing, as if to say...Something I did?!)

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Can you perhaps decorate a nice wreath?

And, very OT: ooohh, what kind of looms? 4H, 6T? 8H, 10T? Jack, counter-balance, counter-marche? What maker(s)? I have a Cricket (15" wide) and a Kromski Harp (24" wide). Rented a Purrington 4H, 6T but when I lost Wilson in early November, somehow I forgot how to warp it, either B2F or F2B. I have a warping mill, so forgetting how to warp was just...demoralizing. :(

But tell me more! :D

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9
Gardener, quilter, fiber fanatic, dog and cat rescue....but--somewhere along the line--I have to earn a living!

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Hectic hectic so I did not get a fresh tree. I have a small 3 ft artificial tree in the attic. I moved the love seat from in front of the window, put a table there and set the tree on it. I headed back up into the attic to get my boxes of decorations. Before I was half way up the ladder my 9 month old kitty - Daisy Faye had the tree knocked down.. It is back in the attic. Put some lights around the window and door and a wreath on the door.

Ho ho ho :!: Merry Christmas :lol:

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Well I'm not organized, but we are going out tree hunting this weekend.

Kids and grandkids said they would decorate it.

We're still in the middle of such an organization mess, but for some reason,

a REAL tree, is very "Important" to me, this year.

MERRY CHRISTMAS everybody. :D

LA47
Green Thumb

No room for a Christmas tree? :shock: :lol: I was thinking the same thing. My small, many doored livingroom just didn't have the wall space. I kept looking and finally found a spot. On the stairway landing! My stairway has 2 steps, then a landing making a 90 degree turn. The stairs go to a single room I use for a craft room that I've been too busy to use anyway. I can get around it to get up the stairs even since I have a skinny tree.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Love the stair landing idea, LA! :)

We have a big picture window in the living room, facing out to the street. The rest of the fall, winter, early spring, it is home to a jungle of indoor plants and trees. For Christmas, all those get dragged to other locations in the house (my office is currently home to two trees, both taller than I am, between the entry door and the desk, so you have to get around them to get to the desk). So now the Christmas tree has pride of place, sitting in the window, the first thing you see when you drive/walk up to the house.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

My wife decided she wanted a Noble Fir, so I to pay for a tree this year. I got one from a local tree farmer for $8. I bet it would cost more in LA or NYC. I cut it myself so I know it is fresh. Yes; the cat thinks it is for her, we had to move some of the decoration higher in the tree.

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

Got my tree the day after Thanksgiving. It is massive and wide (11 feet tall and 7 foot wide) and was a huge pain in the you know what setting it up. Plus it has already fallen over while fully decorated with 60+ year old ornaments that were destroyed. I didn't feel like putting the LED lights all the way to the top of the tree again. The tree actually bent the 1/2" wide screws holding it in place. So I got an all metal stand and used rope to keep it from falling over again. My fingers are crossed that it won't.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

All I can say is WOW :!:

Merry Christmas one and all

prettygurl

That is beautiful, Francis.

No decorations for me this year. I am recovering from surgery. Next year though... :D

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

We are in a heavy renovation as some of you know. So, no tree in the house this year. But....

I created this as a part of our outside decoration several years back. It's 18 feet tall.

[img][img]https://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd5/ ... ed9779.jpg[/img]

I apologize for the blur. A friend asked for a picture of it. I scampered outside in my drawers at one in the morning. I was cold.

The decorations are toned way down this year due to the project. I'll be back to my normal Clark Griswold self next Thanksgiving day.[/img]

LA47
Green Thumb

That is a beautiful huge tree, Frances B. Hope it keeps standing for you.
Charlie, I really like your outdoor decorations. At hubby's and my age we decided it would be safer to keep our decorations low enough that no ladders are required. In our location it is almost assured we will have snow and ice and we don't need any broken bones. We do have lighted candy canes lining the sidewalk and some yard decorations. Nothing to brag about but it does look Christmasy. :D

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Francis Barnswallow wrote:Got my tree the day after Thanksgiving. It is massive and wide (11 feet tall and 7 foot wide) and was a huge pain in the you know what setting it up. Plus it has already fallen over while fully decorated with 60+ year old ornaments that were destroyed. I didn't feel like putting the LED lights all the way to the top of the tree again. The tree actually bent the 1/2" wide screws holding it in place. So I got an all metal stand and used rope to keep it from falling over again. My fingers are crossed that it won't.

Love the tree. It reminds me of a tree a guy put up near us. He placed it in front of a picture window so you can see the upper middle of the tree. Out on the roof, he put a small tree with lights and lay broken boards and shingles around . It looks like he poked the top of the tree right through the roof lights and all. Very funny.

Sorry about your ornaments.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

LA, the day I stop doing that tree draw's nigh. I did buy a 24 foot ladder so I could hang it without going up to the top step. It has a thick zip tie at the top. I laid it out on the driveway to assemble it solely from string lights the first time. I gather the bottom into a cardboard box and then climb up, unhook it and lower it into the box. I reverse the process when I hang it up. The hook is a half inch bike hanger. It just stays in the house year round.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”