DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Eric

lorax
Greener Thumb

Of course the world is going to change. You can never stand in the same river twice - really, you can't stand in the same river for even a minute. And for some people, because it is their time, the world will end. It ends every day, and begins again for others.

As far as the whole "ancient predictions" thing goes, I've always been secretly suspicious that something that's missing from the translation of the Mayan calendar is the notation "end of cycle. calculate new calendar now."

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

yep, this will not be the first time we've come to the end of the long count. it's the 13th or 14th.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I think we should all have an I told you so party on the 22nd. :lol: ImageImage

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Remember about the guy who cried wolf. All it has to happen is once! Outer space is our enemy and we should have a space program that will deal with it! Even a object as big as a city block would destroy us all! This is no laughing matter!

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

LOVE the pics :!: Saw them early this AM and almost choked on my coffee with laughter.

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

seems most of the real science community does in fact agree it will happen again. in fact, in the spate of recent tv documentaries a number of real respected leading whatever guys are aghast that the "collective we" are not more actively working on solutions. when we spot a gigantic rock with our name on it, gonna' be too late to start testing theories....

which is my glitch with the 12/21 theory - if the rock is gonna' be here on 12/21 - it would have been spotted by now.

if the world is going to end from seismic activity, there'd be a lot more pre-rumblings around the world.

which leaves the unpredictable massive decimation by solar flare / gamma burst. although solar active runs on a demonstrated cycle, "our" predicting the size of things is not very reliable.

a gamma burst would indeed be a complete 'surprise' a star close enough, collapsing, creating a burst pointing in just the right direction, few seconds and it's over for half the globe in a trice - the other half will have quite a time surviving long term.

which raises the interesting question, iffin' you had yer druthers, which side you wanna' be on?

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I agree most or all are hoax. I think Jupiter protects our planet more that anyone realizes!

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I agree most or all are hoax. I think Jupiter protects our planet more that anyone realizes!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I know one thing for sure, your world will end in your life time. :roll:

Eric

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

If the world is ending in 13 days, I won't have to sort through my junk with this move. YAY!!! LMFAO

LA47
Green Thumb

Darn it! I've already spent my money on presents and the food to feed an extra 6 people for 5/6 days over the holidays. If I could add a couple thousand to what I've spent, we could have been in Hawaii, sitting on the beach with some neat drink in a coconut shell in our hands on the 21st. :shock: I also could forget my diabetes and eat whatever I want. Sadly there's probably some people that are doing that.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I think the planet X exist if the orbit around the sun is correct. Can a planet orbit around the sun ismy question! The problem is the time line which is 3000 years to complete the orbit!

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

tomf......After looking at that, I have to wonder "why" people are buying Gold and Silver like crazy. :?:

I would think that food and water would be more usefull. Plus the ability to grow things to eat.

Mind you seems like a lot of rich people have not only the gold/silver but big ranches way out in the middle of nowhere.

Since we aren't rich, guess we'll just have to make do. :(

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Can a planet orbit around the sun is my question!
WHAT!

Eric

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

>>"why" people are buying Gold and Silver like crazy.

who was it,,,, George Carlin? who said the health nutsos are gonna feel really silly lying in the hospital dying of absolutely nothing.

I can only imagine the giga-billionaires reaction when he realizes the tens-of-millions spend on his "prepper shelter" is utterly useless when he learns the problem is not going to be 30/60 days long but centuries long . . . .

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes of course the 8 planets we know of (Pluto is no longer considered a planet) do orbit around the sun, in regular and predictable orbits.

There is no planet X!

https://www.badastronomy.com/bad/misc/pl ... shell.html

you need to work on critical thinking skills a bit, Bobber. There is so much hokum out there, you will make yourself nuts if you keep buying in to it.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I guess I ment can a planet orbit aropund the sun in such a wide orbit which is 3000 years. Pluto takes a number of years but not anywhere near that many years!

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

lily51
Greener Thumb

I agree Charlie, it's all very Daffy! :lol:

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I think you are all ducking the situation! Anything is possible! Even a non meat eatter like me eats a little turkey once in awhile with those home grown tomatoes sandwich !

LA47
Green Thumb

Well, if we are wrong, then I guess you'll get the last laugh. :)

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

In this case he who has the last laugh may be the saddest! I don't want to be right so I can see another night!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

NASA scIentists took time on Wednesday to soothe 2012 doomsday fears, warning against the dark side of Maya apocalypse rumors — frightened children and suicidal teens who truly fear the world may come to an end Dec. 21.
These fears are based on misinterpretations of the Maya calendar. On the 21st, the date of the wInter solstice, a calendar cycle called the 13th b'ak'tun comes to an end. Although Maya scholars agree that the ancient Maya would not have seen this day as apocalyptic, rumors have spread that a cosmic event may end life on Earth on that day.
Thus NASA's Involvement. The space agency maintains a 2012 information page debunking popular Maya apocalypse rumors, such as the idea that a rogue planet will hit Earth on Dec. 21, killing everyone. (In fact, astronomers are quite good at detecting near-Earth objects, and any wandering planet scheduled to collide with Earth in three weeks would be the brightest object in the sky behind the sun and moon by now.)
"There is no true issue here," David Morrison, an astrobiologist at NASA Ames Research Center, said during a NASA Google+ Hangout event Wednesday. "This is just a manufactured fantasy." [End of the World? Top Doomsday Fears]
Real-world consequences
Unfortunately, MorrIson said, the fantasy has real-life consequences. As one of NASA's prominent speakers on 2012 doomsday myths, Morrison said, he receIves many emails and letters from worried citizens, partIcularly young people. Some say they can't eat, or are too worried to sleep, Morrison said. Others say they're suicidal.
"While this is a joke to some people and a mystery to others, there is a core of people who are truly concerned," he said.
Not every 2012 apocalypse believer thinks the world will end on Dec. 21. Some, inspired by New Age philosophies, expect a day of universal peace and spiritual transformation. But it's impressionable kids who have NASA officials worried.

"I think it's evil for people to propagate rumors on the Internet to frighten children," Morrison said.
Myths and misconceptions
NASA scientists took questions via social media in the hour-long video chat, debunking doomsday myths from the rogue planet Nibiru to the danger of killer solar flares.
In fact, said NASA heliophysicist Lika Guhathakurta, it's true that the sun is currently in an active phase of its cycle, meaning electromagnetic energy has picked up. Large solar flares can impact electronics and navigation systems on Earth, but satellites monitoring the sun give plenty of warning and allow officials to compensate for the extra electromagnetic actIvity when it hits our atmosphere. What's more, Guhathakurta said, this particular solar maximum is the "wimpiest" in some time — scientists have no reason to expect solar storms beyond what our planet has weathered in the past.
Space news from NBCNews.com

Nor are any near-Earth objects, planetary or otherwise, threatening to slam into our planet on Dec. 21, said Don Yeomans, a planetary scientist who tracks near-Earth objects at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory. The only close asteroid approach on the horizon is forecast to occur on Feb. 13, 2013, when an asteroid will pass within 4.5 Earth radii to our planet (for perspective, Earth's radius is 3,963 miles, or 6,378 kilometers). The asteroid is not going to hit Earth, Yeomans said.
Other rumors — that the Earth's magnetic field will suddenly reverse or that the planet will travel almost 30,000 light-years and fall into the black hole at the center of the Milky Way galaxy — were also dismissed. (A light-year is the distance light travels in one year, or about 6 trillion miles, or 10 trillion km.)
One popular rumor that the planet will undergo a complete blackout from Dec. 23 to 25 earned a "What?" and blank looks from the panel of scientists.
Ultimately, concerns about Earth's fate would be better focused on slow-acting problems such as climate change rather than some sort of cosmic catastrophe, said Andrew Fraknoi, an astronomer at Foothill College in California.
Mitzi Adams, a heliophysicist at NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center, agreed.
"The greatest threat to Earth in 2012, at the end of this year and in the future, is just from the human race itself," Adams said.

Sorry about the large cut and paste. Maybe this post will end before the 21st.

Eric

webmaster
Site Admin

8) -Y*Y- :)

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Norwegian: Skoll! ... "Cheers to you and cheers to me, the best of friends we'll always be. But just in case we disagree, to Hell with you and cheers to me" ... :lol:

Eric

lily51
Greener Thumb

DoubleDogFarm wrote:NASA scIentists took time on Wednesday to soothe 2012 doomsday fears, warning against the dark side of Maya apocalypse rumors — frightened children and suicidal teens who truly fear the world may come to an end Dec. 21.
These fears are based on misinterpretations of the Maya calendar. On the 21st, the date of the wInter solstice, a calendar cycle called the 13th b'ak'tun comes to an end. Although Maya scholars agree that the ancient Maya would not have seen this day as apocalyptic, rumors have spread that a cosmic event may end life on Earth on that day.
Thus NASA's Involvement. The space agency maintains a 2012 information page debunking popular Maya apocalypse rumors, such as the idea that a rogue planet will hit Earth on Dec. 21, killing everyone. (In fact, astronomers are quite good at detecting near-Earth objects, and any wandering planet scheduled to collide with Earth in three weeks would be the brightest object in the sky behind the sun and moon by now.)
"There is no true issue here," David Morrison, an astrobiologist at NASA Ames Research Center, said during a NASA Google+ Hangout event Wednesday. "This is just a manufactured fantasy." [End of the World? Top Doomsday Fears]
Real-world consequences
Unfortunately, MorrIson said, the fantasy has real-life consequences. As one of NASA's prominent speakers on 2012 doomsday myths, Morrison said, he receIves many emails and letters from worried citizens, partIcularly young people. Some say they can't eat, or are too worried to sleep, Morrison said. Others say they're suicidal.
"While this is a joke to some people and a mystery to others, there is a core of people who are truly concerned," he said.
Not every 2012 apocalypse believer thinks the world will end on Dec. 21. Some, inspired by New Age philosophies, expect a day of universal peace and spiritual transformation. But it's impressionable kids who have NASA officials worried.

"I think it's evil for people to propagate rumors on the Internet to frighten children," Morrison said.
Myths and misconceptions
NASA scientists took questions via social media in the hour-long video chat, debunking doomsday myths from the rogue planet Nibiru to the danger of killer solar flares.
In fact, said NASA heliophysicist Lika Guhathakurta, it's true that the sun is currently in an active phase of its cycle, meaning electromagnetic energy has picked up. Large solar flares can impact electronics and navigation systems on Earth, but satellites monitoring the sun give plenty of warning and allow officials to compensate for the extra electromagnetic actIvity when it hits our atmosphere. What's more, Guhathakurta said, this particular solar maximum is the "wimpiest" in some time — scientists have no reason to expect solar storms beyond what our planet has weathered in the past.
Space news from NBCNews.com

Nor are any near-Earth objects, planetary or otherwise, threatening to slam into our planet on Dec. 21, said Don Yeomans, a planetary scientist who tracks near-Earth objects at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory. The only close asteroid approach on the horizon is forecast to occur on Feb. 13, 2013, when an asteroid will pass within 4.5 Earth radii tNo our planet (for perspective, Earth's radius is 3,963 miles, or 6,378 kilometers). The asteroid is not going to hit Earth, Yeomans said.
Other rumors — that the Earth's magnetic field will suddenly reverse or that the planet will travel almost 30,000 light-years and fall into the black hole at the center of the Milky Way galaxy — were also dismissed. (A light-year is the distance light travels in one year, or about 6 trillion miles, or 10 trillion km.)
One popular rumor that the planet will undergo a complete blackout from Dec. 23 to 25 earned a "What?" and blank looks from the panel of scientists.
Ultimately, concerns about Earth's fate would be better focused on slow-acting problems such as climate change rather than some sort of cosmic catastrophe, said Andrew Fraknoi, an astronomer at Foothill College in California.
Mitzi Adams, a heliophysicist at NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center, agreed.
"The greatest threat to Earth in 2012, at the end of this year and in the future, is just from the human race itself," Adams said.

Sorry about the large cut and paste. Maybe this post will end before the 21st.

Eric
Thank you for posting this dd. this was my worry 5 years ago when I was still teaching high school. There were teens then having anxiety, ask me what I thought and I always tried to assure them, go to reliable sources to show them it was all hype. They get online and look for all the bad stuff and scare themselves. One young man in particular was frightened and obsessed. The whole class tried to help him.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

The world got scared when the movie the War of the Worlds was on I guess in the 60's. They thought it was real because of a news broadcast! Actually it was made in 1953 a HG Wells story. I was 10 at the time and most people listened to it on radio since tvs were not in most homes and were black and white no color. The remade the movie in 2005 with Tom Cruz I think!!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Nope, you have some things confused.

What you are thinking about is a War of the Worlds RADIO broadcast back in Oct 1938.

https://history1900s.about.com/od/1930s/ ... worlds.htm

It was depression era, radio and especially radio drama was still very new, people weren't used to it. Orson Welles did that whole show as if it were an actual news broadcast and lots of people got totally freaked out.

HG Wells wrote the book it was drawn from back in 1898.

The movies never scared anyone - I think somehow when you are looking at it, it is much more obvious that you are not looking at something real... and anyway you know you went to a theater to watch a movie, not a news broadcast.
Last edited by rainbowgardener on Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Flowerhead

Nothing is going to happen. What a hoax! I can't believe people are stupid enough to follow this! Just like Y2K....nothing will happen

and when the day has passed, this joke will finally be done with and I won't hear of it anymore

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Flowerhead wrote:Nothing is going to happen. What a hoax! I can't believe people are stupid enough to follow this! Just like Y2K....nothing will happen

and when the day has passed, this joke will finally be done with and I won't hear of it anymore
Until the next one comes along! :) They always do!

If you look back at the link Bobber started this thread with on p1, it says Planet X is "expected to pass between Earth and Mars around May 15, 2003." Then it has that date crossed out and just says "coming soon."

You would think having predicted it for 2003 would have destroyed their credibility already, but some people will believe anything, no matter how many times it is proved wrong. For some reason a certain segment of the population seems to always want to have something to be afraid of. Maybe it helps make their general anxiety make more sense if they can pin it to an external source.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

If there is such a planet it could come along at any time since math is hard to figure on something so far away!

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

ah, but ignored is:

every scientific, governmental, academic, pseudo-commerical entity with a telescope has signed onto a gigantic conspiracy to not tell the world:

"you're dead on 12/21/2011 - the big rock is on its way and it has our name on it."

because . . . . it could cause panic.

EDITED - PLEASE REPORT THIS POST'on guys, where's the sense of humor here? (gg)
nobody watched a sci-fi movie of late?

=========edit==========
interesting deleted..... perhaps I should revisit the conspiracy theories....

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Bobberman wrote:If there is such a planet it could come along at any time since math is hard to figure on something so far away!
Math is math. The numbers work just the same whether they are big or little. We can track the path of galaxies many thousands of light years away.

And this hypothetical planet can't do any damage unless it gets close, which doesn't happen in an instant. At some point it has to be gradually getting closer and become very obvious.

Try to stop and think a little Bobberman, or maybe you are just pulling our legs, trying to keep a discussion going?

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

No I just don't trust the government to tell us the truth about anything! Also math is effected by so many things that when it comes to 3000 year orbit oe of two years off orbit could happen in a instant with those solar flares! I really don't believe it but when there could be a black hole right under our nose whose to say who is really wrong!

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

>> whose to say who is really wrong!

no one needs to say anything.

if there was a black hole under your nose, you'd be dead.
you're not, proof exists.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Dillbert wrote:>> whose to say who is really wrong!

no one needs to say anything.

if there was a black hole under your nose, you'd be dead.
you're not, proof exists.
nutz: LMFAO

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I was just reading on another forum and some idiot is now saying the end of the world is the Fiscal Cliff. This guy is a huge conspiracy nut. He believes in all the conspiracies out there. One of the most ridiculous things he ever posted was that the US govt is causing all the earthquakes, fires, tsunamis etc around the world. He was posting videos of natural disasters and playing spooky music in the background and saying this is what is going to happen in 2012.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”