DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I removed. Sorry folks.

Eric
Last edited by DoubleDogFarm on Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

DDF......You come up with the most approppriate songs. :wink:

I feel like the world has caved in, but after looking at the poor and the

brave soldiers, somehow my junk ( to me) doesn't seem quite so bad...

I "will" get there, :roll: Just need some help right now. Which Grandson, and Hubby have very kindly offered. :oops:

Hubby has tomorrow off, I think both of us need to get out of here for a few hours.
Take all the things our son wants and go to the Red Lobster for dinner.Have to go to Calgary for that, but would be a nice break..

Then go buy Flowers. A few Pretty ones. :D

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Eric - I was almost POed over the clip - here we all are fighting junk, clutter, holiday stress and you post this very downer clip - until I read the quote at the end. Thanks.

Green and Rainbow - hang in there. Got G off this morning for his business/customer hunting trip. Going to help Mom with her tree and cleaning. Will bring her a bouquet of flowers. Have only gotten 3 gifts. Still much to do but have decided NOT to allow myself to stress. The house is currently on hold. I have to get my shopping done and more baking. Looks like the kids and grands may be spending a night with us sometime between now and Christmas or maybe a day or 2 after Christmas. No place for them to sleep at the moment since I have been using the spare bedroom as a depository of "deal with later" stuff. Sigh :!: I look back to last year. Christmas Eve - trying to wrap gifts, cook my drunk pork roast to bring for Christmas dinner, trying to make room for the kids and grands. About 2 pm I had a melt down. Shaking, sobbing generally nuts. I will NOT do that this year. If it gets done good if not oh well. This old earth will keep on spinning. IF the bedroom gets cleaned out great - if not B&H will get our bed, G & I will sleep in our recliners and the grands can sleep on the couches or the air mattress on the floor. I refuse to let stress ruin my Christmas.

Both of my sisters are so organized. They have the majority of their shopping done before Thanksgiving. Every year I tell myself that I will plan better but it never happens. Oh well.

Take care all. Wine, dinner out, Christmas music, more wine, a long walk, more wine, flowers, did I say wine?

You guys and gals are the best.
Elizabeth - or Your Majesty

Living and growing in Lafayette, La.

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. ~Author Unknown

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Green Mantis wrote:ElizabethB............

This I "need" help on....I have a brand new breadmaker---except it's 5 yrs old!!! Still in the box, never unpacked.

WHAT should I DO with it???

Ideas anybody??????

RAINBOWGARDENER-----HELP????? I need ideas PLEASE??
In your situation, with a bunch of stuff to get rid of, some of which is unused/ good quality, I might think about an eBay selling service. It is a place that you can take your stuff to, they do all the work of selling it on eBay and share the take with you. You could of course do it yourself, but in the meantime while you are waiting to get the time and energy to take and upload photos, write descriptions, post on eBay, deal with responses, the stuff is still cluttering up your house.

Generally you don't pay the selling service anything unless/ until the item(s) sell and then they take 1/4 - 1/2. So I wouldn't do it for any little stuff, just donate it. But if you have some items with actual value, that way you get them out of the house, you don't have to do any work, and you still get a little bit of cash back out of it. I'd make a separate pile somewhere until you get a few items collected and then contact a seller.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

OMG - yes e-Bay. My baby brother fly fishes. He was given bunches of feathers for fly making because he promtes sponsers on his radio show and in his "how to" demos. Any way - he had all of these really beautiful, long feathers. He sold them on e-Bay as "hair feathers" fot those girls weaving feathers in their hair. In 6 months he made $2K selling fethers :!: :!:

WHAT :?: :?: :?:

You can make a buck on anything on e-bay. I was blown away at the response bro got for feathers :!:

Oh well - there is a sucker born every day.

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. ~Author Unknown

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Well this sucker is done buying. :oops:

Still working on trying to get this house straightened up, hubby found the good china, finally. So will get it upstairs and get the dishwasher going again. :roll:

Haven't got a tree up or any decorating done, just not in the mood, yet anyway?

Tonight we are doing a real good tidy, and get our TV up, the living room arranged, etc.

I did decide to sell some things on our local kijiji, sold the breadmaker, still have other things, but our son's kitchen things are wearing out, so he is getting a bunch of things.

After taking things out of cupboards, :roll: putting them in son's tote and selling the breadmaker made a big difference.

Haven't wrapped any gifts, I just feel worn out. Hopefully by tonight I will feel a bit more enthusiastic.

Just not in the Christmas Mood this year??? Guess the move, stress with the contractor, and un-loading things just caught up with me.

To be honest I'd like to go somewhere else for Christmas....... :oops:

Hope the Christmas spirit hits soon???

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Green - you worry me. If the tree doesn't get up it doesn't get up. When your family arrives let them put up the tree. It may actually be a treat for them. Mom has been seriously stressed so I went to her house yesterday to put up her tree and decorate. I could see the relief in her. I enjoyed it. I put out decorations that are as old as I am. Got rid of Scrouge. Renewed my Christmas spirit. Let your family do that for your. If the gifts don't get wrapped they don't get wrapped - no big deal. Pick 1 or 2 of your family members to wrap for you. What happened to "It's the thought that counts"? If the kids have to sleep on sleeping bags on the floor they will survive.

Glad you found your china but if you keep going the way you are going there may be nothing left of YOU by Christmas.

Chill Chick - be cool - it REALLY is all good.

Merry Christmas

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Nice post, Elizabeth! All I can say is I agree 100%. People take all the fun out of Christmas for themselves, by stressing about inessentials. The only essential is sharing the Christmas spirit (joy, love, hope) with friends and family, building memories and traditions. Being together stringing popcorn, singing Christmas carols, or whatever makes you feel the holiday is way more important than what your house looks like. :)
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Rainbow - love you girl! We may have very diverse opinions about lots of stuff (can't be discussed on this forum) but at heart we both have a strong sence of family values and what is really important in life. That is what gives me strength. My sister's sister-in-law lives in Cincinnati. She is this small town southern girl living in a big northern city. I see her every 2 or 3 years and laugh my a off at her big city stories. She worked for "Joy of Cooking" until they moved their operation to Forida a few years ago. The stories she tells keep me in stitches.

BTW - I am putting together a seed package for you. It won't get out until next year - just too much on my plate right now. But any way - hopeflly stuff you do not have and can still grow. No cheating :!: It will be a SURPRISE :!:

Hang in there Green!

Merry Christmas one and all.

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Well have decided that the kids will have to help a bunch.

Why not, they're the ones that are coming out so they can help the old gal get her Christmas Spirit back. :D

It's obviously time to relax, and let what happens happen.. I've got almost all my groceries, just not all the presents, but since they all waited until it was too late to tell me what they want, they are going to get a gift card with the money in it to go buy it themselves.

Yes they will be all over the place, but the place is a mess anyway sooooo really won't matter. :) I'll get everything cleaned up after they leave.

Then I won't feel so pressured. I'll have "all" winter to get it done then. :wink:

Have a great christmas all of you.

Thanks so much for your support. Really appreciated. :)

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Just wanted to update a bit.

Cleaning, sorting, putting things away, and things to the dump, still going on.

Not quite so discouraging now, that I realized I seriously can't do it "all" at once.

After a clean-up in the living room of a bunch of little fiddly, with what do you do with this stuff, things.?

Then I can put books dvd's and office supplies away. Then pictures on the wall.

But what I am really Happy about today, is I bought myself some beautiful

cut flowers in the store last night. :D They are the most beautiful White lily's

with the most awesome scent. It's wafting through the house, smells wonderful.

Flowers "Really" do cheer a person up!!!! :clap:

Jardin du Fort

I just found this thread. Wow, this is very insightful and I see you have all helped each other through this season! Unfortunately I must admit that I am quite familiar to some of your own peccadilloes. I struggle with Seasonal Affected Disorder. I have way too much stuff. Things are not neat and tidy. There seems to be too much to do and not enough time. The Christmas season is quite stressful. Etc. etc. etc.

To tell the truth, this year we did not put up a tree, or any lights, or even the front door wreath. It just seemed to be too much bother, so it didn't get done. Nevertheless, the holiday came and went just like always.

I think that my wife suffers a bit more from SAD, she gets quite depressed over the winter, even though she won't admit to it. She has a strong tendency to hibernate as much as she can.... I really need to buy her flowers! Although I've never really been into cut flowers, I can see how they would be a good mood lifter. As Green said
Flowers "Really" do cheer a person up!!!!
Unfortunately part of our problem is that my wife and I are too similar in our habits. If one of us was a hoarder and the other a space-monger we could counteract each other's foibles, but we're both collectors. The fact that we each like our own collections and fail to appreciate the other's is beside the point. :roll:

For the past many years I have worked outside all year round, including in the winter. That really helps me deal with SAD, since I am getting as much sunlight as is humanly possible. This year, however, I am doing different work, and am inside all day long. I do get out briefly, and so am getting a couple hours of sun each day, but I don't think it is enough. Nevertheless we (editorial we) carry on. :|

There is so much wisdom shared, encouragement, and commiseration among QueenB, Green, and Rainbow! Bravo! :clap:

Now I really must see about finding that box of kitchen gadgets that's been in the basement since we moved ten years ago. I think there's a steamer basket or three in it that I could use for tomorrow's dinner. I hope I can find the right box!

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Something tells me, if you haven't seen it in ten yrs, it's time for a clean-up. :eek:

Doesn't take long to get a "lot" of "things" we never use, or need. :roll:

But one box or tote at a time I guess. I look at it this way, if 2 things go out

one thing "might" be allowed in. But right now that rule is out the door, it's

out the door, nothing back in. Except for my Beautiful flowers. :D

This is taking way longer than I ever thought, but my junk, my clean-up. :oops:

SAD syndrome is not easy to live with, but we just have to do even one small clean up a day.

At least I have lovely flowers to smell well I sort. :D

Jardin du Fort

Well, I'm going to start with the flowers. Cleaning the mess is just that: a chore. It's gotta be done...... sometime. And the results will be worthwhile. But I think an immediate mood lifter is in order. I will check tonight though to see if I can find a vase to put flowers in. We only have twenty or so. But where are they? I hate to buy flowers in a vase when the flowers will be gone in a few days, but the vase will hang on forever :roll:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

you can buy the flowers as "stems" without a vase!

Keep plugging away at the clean up, just make sure a little bit gets done each day.

Do be sure you get outside in sunlight at least some (I have trouble working this one out myself in this cold weather).

Notice the days getting longer! Celebrate Imbolc/groundhog's day, Feb 2 at which time we will be half way to spring equinox!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Green Mantis really has short days at this time of year.

Here near 49° North, daylight hours are only about 8 hours -- so, 16 hours of darkness. Without a level horizon, I won't even get that much sun . . . The sun hugs the southern horizon when it comes up like an orange tabby stalking a grasshopper. And, then there are clouds. Ack!!

Never . . . the . . . less --- changes in the sun's path are dramatic this far north! Everyone in the mid-northern latitudes have now passed the latest sunrise. It was January 5th. The earliest sunset was back about a month ago. See, they balance out to the shortest day about December 21st.

Our sunsets are already about 20 minutes later in the "day" than in early December! I'm a morning person but still . . ! (Summer will come and I'll be going to bed while it is still daylight out :wink: .)

Steve
We are each other's harvest; we are each other's business; we are each other's magnitude and bond. ~ Gwendolyn Brooks

Jardin du Fort

Thanks RBG. I picked up a boquet at the local grocery. Stems, as you said. We have vases.... She likes them. I hope it elevates moods. I did find one steamer basket, but won't need it tonight, as I'm cooking my world famous spaghetti. That'll make the house smell good too!

We had a bit of thaw today, so the snow is largely melted, about half of the grass is showing. If it stays this warm (40's) I may get to dig up the one fence post footing that has been delaying the progress on that project!
Keep plugging away at the clean up, just make sure a little bit gets done each day.
Welllll...... that won't happen as there are other "commitments". At least not EVERY day. Maybe four or five days a week though. Of course we both seem to be equally good at making messes as cleaning them up :?

Steve (digitS') just how close to Canada are you? In Coeur d'Alene?

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Jardin du Fort wrote:. . . Steve (digitS') just how close to Canada are you? In Coeur d'Alene?
Just east.

And a tad north.

Steve :)
We are each other's harvest; we are each other's business; we are each other's magnitude and bond. ~ Gwendolyn Brooks

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

How this thread has evolved :!: Love it. Coming out of nicotine withdrawal. Feel like s***. Don't need this very depressing rain. Want to get out and plant my new seeds but can not even get to the shop for my supplies. -wall- Really should be doing house work but really don't have the energy. Yeah - I am doing all of the right stuff - lots of juice and water, vitamins, lean and green eating. Still feel like c***. I will be 60 in February and have been smoking since I was 15. HUGE addiction. The addiction will pass. I am on the down side of withdrawal. Sucks big time :!: The major problem is the habit. I will fight that b**** the rest of my life. At least I can look forward to a longer life. I do have an ulterior motive. G is morbidly obese. He lost 140 lbs then very quickly gained 50 back. He never got down to a reasonable weight. Even after losing 140lbs he was still obese. So as much as I am addicted to smoking I am more addicted to loving him. If I quit smoking he HAS to get down to 200 lbs and maintain his weight. This is true love. I would die smoking if it were not for my love for my man. :oops:

Yep - I am still in love with my man :!:

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Jardin du Fort

WOOHOO Elizabeth!

Yes, kicking the nicotine habit can be tough. You ARE doing it. Every day without a C stick is a victory! :clap:

Although you can provide incentive to G, ultimately only HE can motivate himself. I will pray that he gets that motivation!

It has warmed up here in the Fort, but has begun to rain. I guess it helps by washing away the dirt that collects on the snow...... I just hate that thirty-something and damp though, because the cold just goes straight to the old bones. 'Tis a good night to stay in.... although the wife is headed out for her semi-weekly stint watching kids at the church. I'll heat up some of my left-over spaghetti, have a mug o' hot chocolate, and read a good book.

LA47
Green Thumb

You've made me think about depression due to little sunlight. It's been too cold and snowy for me to go out much even if the sun is shining. Isn't it vitamin D that is needed to combat this? I think I should check into this.
High Altitude Gardener zone 4B or 5A

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

I am takink D, calcium, C and potassium. Actually taking pre natal vitamins plus some. Had major foot and leg cramps last night - like make me cry kind of cramps. Crawled out of the house and went to the store down the street for bananas. So bananas for the potassium satsumas for C. Lots of water and OJ. OMG withdrawal is a big B.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

You can do this, Elizabeth!

It isn't all you, G is has a part in this, right? I hope this isn't a she smokes a cig/I eat a pie thing? That might lead to sabotage! I recommend that G cries so as to reinforce your commitment to not-smoking.

DW & I met during one of my many efforts to quit smoking. At first, it may have just been my sneaky nature and not smoking around her. Later, I couldn't be sneaky because she knew all my bad habits and was on the lookout. More like sniff-out. She'd cry when I smelled of tobacco smoke . . . I had to quit even going in places that allowed smoking - sheesh!

My 1st wife didn't seem to care even tho' she wasn't a smoker. But then, she was the one who cut the brake lines on the car I drove to work.

Steve

Jardin du Fort

Elizabeth,

You might want to add magnesium to the supplements. I always eat a banana a day, and drink milk, but still get leg cramps on occasion. When I get them, I take mag. and no more cramps!

:)

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Elizabeth, I quit smoking almost 4 years ago and I smoked for about 15 years. It gets easier in time. You need to throw away ashtrays, lighters, cigarettes, and stay away from smokers. You will find other things to fill that void of not smoking. I felt like I didn't know what to do with all the extra time, and found myself going outside constantly out of habit ( I used to smoke outdoors only). Or I also was constantly drinking something or eating something, I needed something to do with my hands. Just remember, as each day passes the addiction gets weaker and the cravings become less often. Also think how you will save money, and how you will be screwing over the tobacco companies for each cigarette you don't smoke they lose money. Your senses will be better, you'll breathe better, you'll smell better, you don't have to worry about the inconvenience of having to smoke away from those who don't like second hand smoke etc.

Occasionally I will get a whiff of tobacco smoke and it reminds me of how I used to smoke and for a split second I get a craving. But as quickly as I get that idea it goes away too. After you have some years behind you you have a lot more strength than the addiction. Occasionally too when I am nervous/anxious I get a quick idea to have a cigarette, but again, as quickly as I get the idea it goes away. I try to think of it as I may only get one chance in my life to quit smoking and I never want to screw that up. I started smoking in Jr high because of peer pressure and I also thought it was cool. I could have said no and never smoked. Now that I do not smoke I feel I am back in that position and it would be very stupid of me to start smoking again. You really get nothing out of it.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Not sure if scared straight tactics work, but if you want to see what cigarettes did to a beautiful woman, look up Terrie Hall on Youtube. Terrie Hall: In Her Words Presentation (6 parts).
I will not post the link here. You are on your own if you would like to see.

I believe the junior high health class kept me from smoking. I've never had the desire.

Eric

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

OMG - thank you all so much for your support and good wishes. Withdrawal is a real b****. I think I am over the worst of it although I am still very anxious and have a huge headache and foot and leg cramps. I am doing everything I am suposed to do when it comes to vitamins, fluids, lean and green eating. I do crave Oreos and milk. Not a real problem - I can afford to gain 5 - 10 lbs. That would actually be a good thing since I am very scrawny. A little weight would be OK. My sweet man said he REALLY had to go out of town for work because I was meaner than a snake in spring. Yeah a real B. Bless his heart - he has been bringing me breakfast in bed. I kind of missed that this morning. He is such a sweet heart. He has been calling me every couple of hours just to see how I am feeling and to tell me he loves me. Sigh! I am a lucky woman. My Honey is back on his diet and has lost 8 lbs since Tuesday.

Thank you guys and gals - you are all so special :!:

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

ElizabethB........So proud of you. You "will" make it. We are really all here for you.

I didn't know you had quit, haven't been on for awhile.

Still sorting and cleaning out. :oops:

I'm getting there though. You will too. Thankfully I never wanted to smoke.

So nice that you and hubby are working together on your addictions. With

double help you both will make it. :clap:

Still buying myself fresh flowers, a real treat, since I never did that before.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Thank you all :clap: Still hanging in there. Had a trial Saturday. G took his bud hunting. His bud D shot a nice wild pig - 130 lbs. So Saturday we went to D's house in the big time country - nothing but rice fields and cattle - 30 minutes from the nearest small town an hour from Lafayette. The guys cut the pig up then cooked some pork steaks. Lots of beer - which I don't drink but I did bring my wine. D and his wife are both heavy smokers. I mean chain smokers. I was so proud of myself - stuck with it and did not have a smoke. Next big test is next Saturday. I spent 6 years active duty Navy and 16 years USNR. We are have the first old fart lying reuion of my reserve unit next Saturday. Another big challenge that I vow to overcome. I will drink my wine but will not smoke. So there.

Thanks all for your support!

Jardin du Fort

Congratulations Elizabeth! One big hurdle is past, and you did it well!

You might be surprised at the "old fart lying convention" to find others that have quit the C-stick, or wish they could. If someone from that group tells you you shouldn't have quit you know two things: They're an old fart, and they're lying. You WILL succeed and you WILL be proud of yourself!

:clap:

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Jardin -so true. The fact is that very few of my old buds smoke any more.
So the few that do will be sitting outside in the cold. HA hA!

Jardin du Fort

ElizabethB wrote:Next big test is next Saturday. I spent 6 years active duty Navy and 16 years USNR. We are have the first old fart lying reuion of my reserve unit next Saturday. Another big challenge that I vow to overcome. I will drink my wine but will not smoke. So there.

Thanks all for your support!
Hoping the OFLR went well and you passed with flying colors! :clap:

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Had a wonderful time at the reunion! :D So glad to see those guys. For so many years they were my second family. In the military you develop a bond that civilians can not fathom. Out of 20 sailors and 6 spouses there were only 3 smokers. I did drink too much wine but managed not to smoke. :clap: G wasn't over enthusiastic about going with me - he really did not know my ship mates but he had a good time as well and was my designated driver. My shipmate Rudy and his wife Jimmie hosted the gathering at their camp. It is 35 acres in the middle of no-where outside of Iowa, La. They have a cabin and a motor home on the property. There are lots of woods and a very nice pond. Nothing fancy - in fact quiet rustic. We all had plenty to eat and drink. After the initial hugs we all quickly fell back into a pattern of good conversation - sharing memories of good times and bad. Remembering shipmates who are no longer with us. Training trips we had taken together. COs good and bad. Of course we have all aged. Gee how does that happen? But all and all a wonderful time was had by all.

Still hanging in there. The physical issues are past the "want" is still there. I am looking forward to the day when the smell of c smoke makes me ill instead of making me want to inhale.

Thanks all.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

ElizabethB wrote:. . . Still hanging in there. The physical issues are past the "want" is still there. I am looking forward to the day when the smell of c smoke makes me ill instead of making me want to inhale. . .
That will come, Elizabeth. I'm afraid the "want" will be with you a long time.

Those moments when you really feel the "need" for a smoke - we can't expect them to go away.

For me, it was driving in traffic when I am in a hurry. Waiting thru 3 light changes to be able to cross an intersection. Having to stop at red lights every 3 blocks for 2 miles of city driving . . ! Getting trapped behind a city bus and having every car behind me pull into the left-hand lane to pass at every bus stop - one-at-a-time from the car farthest back right up to the idiot on my rear bumper!

These experiences never went away despite my bumpersticker which clearly states:

If God Had Intended Man to Smoke,
He Would Have Set Him on Fire!

Steve Image

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

But you will get to where the smell of a room full of smoke or someone smoking in a car will be disgusting. My partner smoked age 14 to 40, but smoke is disgusting to her now.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”