tomf
Super Green Thumb

Eric or any one, what do you know about outboard motors?

I just ordered a new powerhead to replace the one on my outboard. It comes complete with all the carbs and every thing else so I should be able to swap it for the one on the unit now. My old motor needs a rebuild but I ordered a newer rebuild motor for a bit more than the cost of doing the old one I have. The new one will replace the 200HP OMC and is a 225HP OMC. I am thinking I can do this work my self, my dad did it before and it did not look all that hard. Have any of you changed power heads on an outboard before? If so what are the tricks I need to know? I want to get as much information as I can before deciding what to do.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Boatered.com. They have an engine forum and very knowledgeable members who love to pontificate.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Tom,

One of my policies is, "I don't work on anything that could get you stranded" No cars, trucks or boat motors. I figure if you break down on your lawn mower, you can walk home. :wink:

Charlie has a good idea. I use tractor, garden equipment forums all the time.

What year is the engine? Looks like many different manuals on Ebay.

Good luck. Keep us posted.
Eric

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

pontificate
If you do, you'll clean it up! :lol:

Eric

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I will go check out the forum, thanks and some day you will get that raod runner.
Eric I have the shop manual for the 200HP motor so they should be about the same.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Tom,

I'm trying to remember, do outboards have anode rod equivalent. Something that prevents reaction, certain metals and saltwater. If it does be sure to replace.

Eric

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Yes they do and it is not worn as the boat never went in salt water.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

You need them if you store it in a freshwater marina. Electrical leakage from adjacent boats or dock can eat it up too. The scrificial anodes are different material in freshwater.

Tomf, if you go to that sight you probably have to register to post. There are exceptionally knowledgeable people there. Unlike THG some are not friendly. They are usually nice to newbys for a few days so thick skin may be necessary eventually.

I don't go there much because what I don't know or can't do I have a great mechanic.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I went to the boat forum but I changed my net provider so I have to open an email account with the provider as the boat site does not take hotmail or Gmail.
This is the boat I am working on.

[img]https://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e57/twistedtomf/theboat-1.jpg[/img]

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

How's it going motorhead.

Eric

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I decided to have a local shop that does this sort of thing do it, they know what they are doing and how to set it up right so I will let them.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”