edelweiss

54 MAJESTIC EAGLES

Yesterday on Canadien Thanksgiving day we were gathered around the table when we noticed around 54 eagles cruising above our houses in a heat pocket .An unbelievable majestic site! Does anyone know why there were so many? Could it have been because they were migrating? Any body saw something like this before?

applestar
Mod

Sounds amazing :shock:
Did you take any pictures?

I know *hawks* migrate -- there is a place called Hawk Mountain in Pennsylvania which sits on their migration route and you can go see them pass through -- I think the time for that is around now... Maybe coming up soon. Do eagles migrate too?

Around here eagles are rare sight unless you live near the few known nesting sites. People make pilgrimages to go see them. I didn't know they were such huge birds until I saw them in person in Alaska where the bald eagles seemed to be considered more of a nuisance scavenger birds. :?

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Wow that must have been something to see! Photos? You must live way out of the city.

edelweiss

They came so fast, circled a few rounds and were gone so fast. We could not take pictures that fast , by the time we finally had the camera set up it was too late. Also we right in the middle of our turkey feast, so the reaction was a little bit slow. I could bite myself....

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

A group of hawks or eagles flying like that is called a "kettle". It is something they do just before taking off on their migration flight. Vultures will kettle too.

I was fortunate recently to see a kettle of Swainson's Hawks. I didn't try to count the individuals, but guess well over 100.

edelweiss

Hello, thank you for the info, always nice to learn something new!

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I live in a town called Eagle Creek and I have not seen any where that many eagles.

edelweiss

If I only had a camera near by to take a picture as a memory, but who knew that we would be so lucky to see something like this. Eagles are so majestic.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”