rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Very strange, beginning to end... Why would they want to see a garden and make a special trip for it, if she is too terrified to look? How far north do they live to be surprised at greenery in Sept? I'm in Ohio and and my tomatoes and peppers are still producing like mad, better than they did in heat of summer and since we did get some rain, everything is very green and lush. These folks live by the Arctic circle?

And of course being afraid of tomato plants.... I have a trumpet creeper that you wouldn't want to get too close to (the thing grows so fast, if you hold still too long, it will swallow you up), but I never heard of being afraid of tomato plants. When tomatoes were introduced to Europe, people wouldn't eat them thinking they were poisonous like other nightshades, but even so, I doubt they were afraid of the plants.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

I am terrified of weeds.

Those worms don't taste too bad if you cut them up fine enough. But like shrimp, I don't like eating the heads.

SOB
Green Thumb

Marlingardener wrote:Rainbow, the couple were from the upper penninsula in Michigan. I have no idea what their weather is like, but it must be pretty chilly in September!
It's not uncommon for them (the Yoopers) to have had snow already by this time of the year. I don't think they have had any yet but it is about lower 40s at night. I would think still warm enough for plants to survive unless they have already had a couple frosts.
Charlie MV wrote:But like shrimp, I don't like eating the heads.
You're not supposed to EAT the heads...you just suck the juice out of them. I'm not a fan but my wife says that's the best part of the shrimp!

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Some people are strange. :roll:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Great stroy a bit creepy but great none the less. :lol: Growing up I had a freind a girl who was scared poo-less of clowns, she would start screaming and freaking out at times.

Oh it was fun to bring clown related items over. LMFAO

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

Sounds like she had a bad experience as a kid with hornworms. I got payed 25 cents per hornworm kill via bricks when I was a kid.

Speaking about having a bad experience when I was a kid, I was in middle school at the time and me and a buddy where riding our bikes home on a trail. I rode right into a banana spider web (which felt like a fishing net), the spider landed just below my neck and I could feel it's 2 front legs on my neck. It was huge, like the one in this pic.

[img]https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v700/obiadia/spider_zpsd8bd80b6.jpg[/img]

Ever since then I've been ridiculously afraid of spiders.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

I'm not afraid of them but clowns have an extremely high creepy factor.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I've got a sister-in-law that is just past 60 yrs. old and goes off the deep end over lizards. One of my nieces, who was 12 at the time, knows this and when we were visiting my now late father-in-law in the country, she caught a couple small ones. She then proceeded to let them bite her on her ear lobes and walked into the house with her "living ear rings". It took my sister-in-law about 30 seconds to notice them and she let out a yell that sounded like a Screech Owl. I've never laughed so hard in all my life.

I can't think of any animal, insect, reptile etc. I'm terrified of. There's a few I don't particularly like, but definitely not afraid of them. I just don't understand the phobias some folks have.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

when i was little, my uncle used to insist that his special-recipe pesto was made of 'green tomato worms,' which for a while kept more of it for the adults, i imagine.

nowadays, I'm more comfortable all around with the idea of eating insects, but hornworms? i've got a feeling things that eat tomato foliage won't taste super-great. :wink: corn earworms oughta be good though, right?

pinksand
Greener Thumb

I have to admit, I tried my first tomato from my tomato plant with dinner tonight and was scared :oops: I made my husband take a bite first. It wasn't the prettiest tomato and was itty bitty, but was ripe. It turned out to be pretty good! A very pathetic thing to admit on this forum I know :(

Besides that, what a strange story! Did she have a bad experience accidently eating one or something? To not even want to look at them... very odd!

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Marlingardener wrote:Why am I so tempted to send this discussion to the couple from Michigan? :twisted:

I thought you were READING it to them.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Charlie MV wrote:I am terrified of weeds.

Those worms don't taste too bad if you cut them up fine enough. But like shrimp, I don't like eating the heads.
Your terrified of Roger. If not, you should be, you should be!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzmpXz5d2z0

Eric

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

I just don't understand the phobias some folks have.

Consider yourself blessed.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

DoubleDogFarm wrote:
Charlie MV wrote:I am terrified of weeds.

Your terrified of Roger. If not, you should be, you should be!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzmpXz5d2z0

Eric
Ho MAN...... I had a nightmare about Roger in a clown suit. He was trying to make me eat horn worms. The shoes...THE SHOES!!!!!

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

I have caught just about every kind of critter out there by hand even rattle snakes. I used to have over 40 different snakes and lizards at one time. But you will never see me pick up a spider! I don't go all screaming like a 10 year old school girl over them but if one gets on me it will get off of me very quickly and most likely die! I only have one rule with spiders they leave me alone I leave them alone they touch me they die!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Marlingardener wrote:Okay guys, in defense of Roger, he is not scary nor does he wear outsize shoes. The red rubber nose however . . . .
Oh, That's from his excessive drinking.........

Yerba mate. :lol:

Eric

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

they are big and brass aren't they?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Charlie MV wrote:they are big and brass aren't they?

I don't know what you are talking about. LMFAO

Eric

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Gentlemen..."family friendly," you know....

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Thanks Cynthia.

Eric

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

She called us GENTLEMEN? :shock:

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”