Susan W
Greener Thumb

You said the Key Words, SLOW. That can mean tonnage of water dumping down, and system not moving on. We were looking to get some of the wind/water by today, then tomorrow, then... This is Memphis, and storm was supposed to travel up the river (Mississipi). Talking to a storm would be more difficult than talking to my cat about directions! Then they had it going more west, blessing Ark with some needed rain.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Marlingardener, you are a jewel.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, I'm wishing it would speed up, to save the people who don't need the water from getting so much dumped on them and to move it along towards me. We are supposed to get some heavy rain by Sun, which would be the tail end remnants of the storm and we desperately need it.

But I hope everyone down there is okay and not suffering too much.

Royiah

We finally got power back! Yes! They had to replace the intire pole that a tree crashed into by my house. 3 days with out power is really annoying. I do hope everyone else is ok. most of the town had to be evacuated a few days ago. But I didnt. (I live right by the shelter.) The storm was mostly a big annoyance for me and my neibors.
I hope Ya'll are ok as well!

Royiah

No prob. 8) It might be awile before most get on though. Even witht the power companys working 24/7 its still gonna be awile before all of LA is back up and running. I heard the only reason we got power so fast was becuase the high school theyve been using as a shelter is a block away from us. :-P

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Posting here also to say I'm back on line and got electricity back on yesterday. Cable and internet sometime this a.m. came back on.

Yes, it was a very slow moving storm with a lot more damage than anticipated, along with a few unfortunate folks being killed by the water rising in areas.

No real damage to my area except downed power lines and trees and a couple houses that folded like a cheap suit. Truth about the houses that fell is they should have long ago been torn down since they were in deplorable condition since Katrina.

As for the garden, I only had Okra, Peppers and Eggplant still in it and they are now gone after being blown over and inundated by over a foot of rain. The top of the soil is showing signs of drying but just below the surface it is still soup.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Glad you're OK, gumbo. I can't imagine that southern Louisiana in late August w/no electricity is much fun, though. I had, in the distant past, a fiancé in Baton Rouge and visited him for a week and a half in August one year.

It reminded me forcefully of Tampa and Panama, what with the humidity and all. And that's when I lived in Atlanta! :lol:

The houses that "folded like cheap suits" are a reminder to everyone that much of the Gulf Coast still hasn't been brought back from the Katrina disaster; that's going to be a long-term project. (I know several people here who've been traveling to Delcambre each year since 2006 with Rebuilding Together to help out.)

Just a reminder--yet again--that we are responsible for one another. Help out when and where you can, and take care of yourselves as much as possible. None of us is completely self-sufficient; some have more ability/resources than others, but if we share it around, we can all get through.

The people who lost their lives...were they unable to evacuate? Very sad.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

cynthia_h wrote: The people who lost their lives...were they unable to evacuate? Very sad.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

The area where a couple in their 40's lost their lives was under a mandatory evacuation order from their parish government, but chose to stay for some reason.

The waters rose quickly since they were outside the protection levee system and only had some much smaller levee type berms to slow the tidal surge. The fact the storm stalled so long helped push more water inland than they anticipated and that area had something like 10 ft. of water.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

We got our good dumping out of it. Thank goodness! Nice of you to think of it MG. it never thought about members that might be in the path of the storm! :oops: Just didn't occur to me.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”