jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

A little about the ol man.

[url=https://donce.lotthouse.com/jamaica/Hungry.pdf]My Story[/url], well, a part of it anyway. Thought I would share this. You may get some ideas from it that may help you to feed a family.

And..... [url=https://donce.lotthouse.com/jamaica/nature/default.htm]Some things of Nature[/url]
Last edited by jal_ut on Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Wow... really, thirteen children, James? Are they mostly all grown now? Do you have a ton of grandchildren?

SOB
Green Thumb

I read that thinking it was written by your father. don't know why...

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Thank you for that we are blessed to have you on this forum.

Dono

treehopper

...well, as Paul Harvey used to say, how about the rest of the story?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Yes, 13 children. Yes, all grown, my youngest has 3 children. Yes, lots of grandkids.

At this point, I still grow what would seem a large garden to many of you. It produces much more food than we need for the two of us, but we sell some at the farmer's market and share lots with family and friends.

Our lot is 1 and 5/8 acre. I have about 7500 sq ft in the vegetable garden. There are some perennial beds and the orchard besides that. The rest is in grass and clover.

I am a small scale beekeeper also. This year there is 28 colonies of bees in my backyard. It is almost time to extract the honey.

So, even though I am retired, I still have plenty to do each day. Never a dull moment around here.

Have a great day!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I truly envy you James.

And no!!! You have a great day. :flower:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

1.6 acres is plenty for two people. It doesn't seem like a lot to feed 15 from, especially with a short growing season. No wonder you are so good at making your land so productive! That is amazing!

(Not of course that I would ever have chosen to have 13 children... raising one seemed like a big enough job to me)

SOB
Green Thumb

I'm curious to know how many of your children and their families have a garden and if any of them are into it as much as you? Have they taken what you taught them over the years and started sharing it with their young'uns?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

All but two of my children grow a garden. They probably would if their circumstances were different. No, their gardens are no where near as large as mine. One exception, my oldest son is gardening about three acres. He is actually doing that for a living. He grows a lot of seed too, so in the winter he sells seed.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

How about some [url=https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/Sunset%20Page/sunset.htm]Utah sunsets?[/url]

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”