webmaster
Site Admin

August 3, 2012 Update

There were a few server updates that needed to be done. It was supposed to have been finished overnight but the upgrades stretched well into the afternoon.

We're back and I don't foresee anymore downtime. Knock on wood. :shock:

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Yeah, everybody knock on Doubledog's head. :shock:

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Now, now...be nice. :D We know you've had a difficult few days, Charlie. Did you make soup? Are you feeling any better yet from the construction?

thx for the update, O Leader. However, I note that my posts are still being registered as 8 hours earlier than they actually are (this one is showing as 4:13 a.m.), when my time zone is GMT - 8. It's 2:13 p.m. in the Pacific Time Zone right now; 4:13 is GM - 16, which is across the International Date Line. (Japan is 17 hours earlier, but the next day, relative to Pacific Time.)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

webmaster
Site Admin

test.

webmaster
Site Admin

Cynthia,
You'll have to set your time from within [url=https://helpfulgardener.com/forum/profile.php?mode=editprofile]your profile[/url]. I am on the east coast and the correct setting for me was to set it to GMT +5. So if you're on the West Coast, then try setting it to +8 GMT from within [url=https://helpfulgardener.com/forum/profile.php?mode=editprofile]your profile[/url] and see if the posting time is corrected.

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

hmmm, might wanna check out the + and - thing.

and, GMT doesn't change with DST

and, various European countries change to DST, if at all, on different dates - that problem slightly reduced in recent years.....

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah something happened in there. I hadn't paid attention until I read cynthia's post, then I discovered the time being off on mine too. To get it to read right, I had to go in and change my setting from GMT minus 5 hrs to GMT plus 5 hrs.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/CharlieMV001.jpg[/img]

That hurt Charlie. :cry:

Eric

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Man Eric, you're like a wizard or something. My head started hurting a little while ago and now I know why.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I had an issue posting a url link.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

webmaster wrote:Cynthia,
You'll have to set your time from within [url=https://helpfulgardener.com/forum/profile.php?mode=editprofile]your profile[/url]. I am on the east coast and the correct setting for me was to set it to GMT +5. So if you're on the West Coast, then try setting it to +8 GMT from within [url=https://helpfulgardener.com/forum/profile.php?mode=editprofile]your profile[/url] and see if the posting time is corrected.
My time zone IS set to GMT - 8 hours, and my posts are still being logged as if they were posted in some zone just east of Japan (which is GMT - 17 but tomorrow; I'll never forget, from when I had intense dealings with a music trip in Tokyo in 1992). For instance, right now it's 6:06 p.m. Pacific Time.

Example: GMT/Universal Time/Zulu/Prime Meridian/Greenwich Observatory in London. Let's say the sun comes up at 6:00 a.m. in London. It's 7:00 a.m. in a great deal of Europe; that's GMT + 1. Eastern Europe, 8:00 a.m., or GMT + 2, because our planet spins from west to east, and the sun rises (actually, appears to rise) in eastern zones earlier than it does in western zones.

Heading out towards the west, an imaginary traveler looking over the face of the earth at that moment of sunrise in London can see that it's still dark in Reykavik, Iceland (depending on the season), because it's still 5:00 a.m. there: GMT - 1.

The traveler looks further. Greenland is still dark, too--at least most of it. After all, it's 4:00 a.m.: GMT - 2.

But shift workers in Brasilia and Qaanaq, Greenland, are at the halfway point of the graveyard shift: 3:00 a.m. Time to have lunch! GMT - 3.

At last our traveler casts his eyes to the continent of North America. Still the sun is just coming up in London, GMT = 6:00 a.m.

He sees very little activity, because 2:00 a.m. in the Eastern Time Zone is a quiet time, GMT - 4. Boring...

Moving west into Central Time, it's 1:00 a.m., or GMT - 5. Still some late owls out for the night, but people with early-to-bed, early-to-rise schedules have turned out the lights long since. *Yawn, get some rest*

Further and further, into the westering regions of Mountain Time, where it's midnight in Denver, Albuquerque, Calgary, Edmonton, and other Big Sky abodes, it's midnight: GMT - 6.

Another very large body of water now, the Pacific Ocean. Most of these people observe Pacific Time, and it's 11:00 p.m., or GMT - 7 (most of the year).

Others on the eastern coast of the Pacific Ocean use Alaska Time (where at this moment as I write it's 5:21 p.m.). For our traveler, it's GMT - 8, or 10:00 p.m.

And Hawaii is 2 hours earlier even than Alaska! GMT - 10, or 8:00 p.m. the night before when the sun is coming up at 6:00 the next day in London.

Our traveler's brain is scrambled. In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye (Handel, "Messiah"), he has seen from London east to France, then to Eastern Europe, and then west as far as Hawaii. And this has covered only 12 hours' worth of the Earth's surface: GMT + 2 west towards GMT - 10.

I submit that the forum controls have an error in them somehow. I live at GMT - 8, sometimes depending on Daylight or Standard Time settings, GMT - 7. World Time Zone map (interactive! fun!) [url=https://www.timeanddate.com/time/map/]here[/url].

It is now 6:25 p.m. Pacific Daylight Time, Thursday, August 30, 2012, as reckoned by the Western Calendar, reformed in 1582 by Pope Gregory and adopted over the following two centuries by countries in Western Europe. As they advanced their mercantile, political, and other agendas across the world during the 19th and early 20th centuries, this method of time reckoning expanded throughout the literate world. Other methods of reckoning are still adhered to alongside this one, but in the business and everyday world, this system is commonly observed.

Thank you.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Does anybody really know what time it is?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Does anyone really care?

Eric

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

test.

Who knows where the time goes? (Judy Collins, lyrics by ___?)

ETA: Ah, well; I still posted this 10 hours ago! or something. 12:15 a.m. Aug 31 rather than the 10:15 a.m. Aug 31 it is right here right now. Wow; I could really catch up on stuff around here if I got 10 hours back each day! :lol:

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

This is webmaster, temporarily in control of your member name. Fisxing your time issue.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

cynthia_h wrote:test.

Who knows where the time goes? (Judy Collins, lyrics by ___?)

ETA: Ah, well; I still posted this 10 hours ago! or something. 12:15 a.m. Aug 31 rather than the 10:15 a.m. Aug 31 it is right here right now. Wow; I could really catch up on stuff around here if I got 10 hours back each day! :lol:
_Sandy Denny ( Alexandra Elene Maclean Denny )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbpURBJA4uA

Eric

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”