gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

The hummers are extra crazy today.

It is raining first time in forever. We are 10 in. behind since May. I wonder if this is making them more nutty. I counted at least 12 flying at one time out here this morning. I took a short vid and some sweet pics hope you enjoy.

https://youtu.be/iPoWulIyXZU

[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/Gardening/DSC05974.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/Gardening/DSC05982.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/Gardening/DSC05985.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/Gardening/DSC05988.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/Gardening/DSC05990.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/Gardening/DSC05992.jpg[/img]
Last edited by gixxerific on Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Hummingbirds are not team players. usually I only see em one at a time at the feeder.

My current male has a feud going on with somethig else that is not a hummer.

Beaks drawn at twenty wing beats.

The local cat has volunteered to be second to provide coup de gras for any not mortally wounded...

applestar
Mod

You are so lucky, Gixx! The river must be a migratory landmark and St. Louis probably sits in the thick of it all.

The most I've seen in my garden are 4 hummingbirds -- two pairs at once, and they were all swooping and diving at each other... right above my head :roll:

This year, so far, there are two regular visitors. One is a female and the other is smaller with still grayish throat -- probably a newly fledged juvie. The juvie usually hides and stays quiet while the female is visiting, but if the female gets too close, it does valiantly venture forth. I love it that most of the times I look out of the window, I'll spot them feeding at the various blooms. I set out a feeder thinking the drought had dried up a lot of the flowers too soon, but they don't stay at the feeder long and seem to be driven to check each and every available blossom. :lol:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Please stop by Apple I would be honored. You can see my garden and we can just talk while sitting right next to the hummer highway. They buzz past me all the time, hover right in front of you. It's really crazy at times. But I love it. You would too. :D

P.S. they are still going at. it should calm down a bit and than again they light up wtih the sunset coming on.

applestar
Mod

Thanks, Gixx -- I'd love that :D

Hummingbirds are either very polite or very inquisitive. Most of the time when I'm outside, I'll either hear the soft chirruping overhead or the miniature helicopter sound and look up to see one hovering and looking at me. Then dip and zoom off like she said "Good Morning!" or "Good Afternoon!" 8)

First time I noticed a hummingbird try the feeder, she hovered over me until I noticed and acknowledged her, then flew over to the feeder and went around it sipping from the ports, then zoomed back to me and dipped and flew off. So I said, "You are welcome!" :D

Another day, it was too hot to go out, so I was cleaning a favorite lookout window for better viewing, and, casually looking past the cleaning rag, realized a hummingbird was hovering outside the window looking in. :shock: :lol: I broke out in a smile and said my customary, "Well, hello! So nice to see you visiting my garden!" ...and she dipped and zoomed off to the honeysuckle arbor. :()

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Sitting outside yesterday watching the hummers buzz past me at mach speed close enough I could grab them again. It was cool there was about 8 - 10 constantly swooping this way and that. There were also to large Dragonflies patrolling, funny they would go to the edge of my yard and back never leaving the sanctity of the garden area.

But everynow and than an errant humingbird would buss too close to the dragonfly and than it was one with them as well. :lol: Quite amusing I wish I could have got it on video but that would be close to impossible. As I sadi it was quite amusing wathcing 2 - 3 hummers in arila combat than the dragonfly joins in for getting buzzed. Those crazy kids.

Looking out there the humers are already at it, also just noticed the feeder is empty I just filled that thing up 4 - 5 day's ago.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

We have two feeders and a ton of hummingbird flowers. We always have hummingbirds, but most years (including this one) only one couple and then the two babies they produce. They are pretty territorial. Lucky, gixx to have so many.

But yes, I have noticed the hummingbirds checking us out and seeming to say thank you for the feeders. We have one feeder on the deck and a trellis full of cardinal climber, so there are always hummers on the deck with us.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

it's always busy here RBG you and Apple would love it. I paused to look out and yes they are all over, like always, I need to make some more food for them.

They have been hitting up the flowers but the feeder is what they really like.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Fun! Thanks for sharing your pics. We feed the hummers too and love to watch them.

Ruffsta
Green Thumb

here I was thinking:

OLD
[img]https://www.thesupercars.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/Hummer-H1.JPG[/img]

VS

NEW
[img]https://www.stockvault.net/data/s/110076.jpg[/img]

:lol: :P 8)

j/k I knew you were talking about birds.. lol - have a sense of humor will ya! :P

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

sense of humor how about this. First time I was an a Hummer truck we got stuck, I thought these thing were unstoppable, oh yeah that is the military ones.
Anyways we had to go back and get my Chevy truck to pull it out. It was easy. :lol: 8)

Should have just got my dog it would have been easier and less fuel waste.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Hummer? Oh, ya the Jeep wannabe.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Jeep on steroids I think...

Anyway back to the birds. One thing I have noticed about ours. Ours haven't started doing it yet, but when it gets close to the big migration time, it's like they start training for it. Or maybe just getting restless, I don't know. But anyway, they start crazy aerobatics, fly up really high and zoom down, zoom back and forth, etc

When I see them acting like that, I know they aren't going to be with us too much longer. I think they do 2-3 weeks of that, then suddenly are gone.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Don't they always do that? :lol: But really not sure if I have ever noticed that.

I have seen a couple crazy arial battles lately where 2 will be fighting flying straight up pretty far. Kind of like something you would see in the Matrix.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

No, what I'm talking about is distinctly different from the usual behavior I see, though not having so many, I don't know if they act any different.

But when they start paying less attention to feeding and doing the dive bombing routine and constant restless flying around, I know migration season is near.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I will watch for this. I may have see it before but neve put 2 and 2 together. Like I said the are usually crazy.

On another note I had a single come by today making a rukus, vocally. I was asking whats wrong buddy it's just me here and I am the one that feeds you. It finnaly fed than came in front of me chirping again. I think it wanted to fight. Could be wrong though. I am out there all the time. They should be used to me.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”