Dillbert
Greener Thumb

Are We Back?

seems the message base has reappeared . . .

webmaster
Site Admin

Almost done!

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Seems like its back on.

:)

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Good I thought the world ended!I guess we weathered the storm!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Thanks webmaster. I have been trying to get on here several times a day.

If you don't mind, what happened?

It's good to be home again. :flower: :flower:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Very strange that it is just back, with no note about what happened why it was gone for two weeks (some kind of hack - malware attack obviously, but it would be really nice to get some more explanation of specifically what happened and what was done to fix it and why it is now all full of links to ads). This is the second time this year, the Forum has been attacked like that. Any idea why HG is being singled out; I've never seen anything like it anywhere else.

A little more communication would be really nice!

DownriverGardener

rainbowgardener wrote:Very strange that it is just back, with no note about what happened why it was gone for two weeks (some kind of hack - malware attack obviously, but it would be really nice to get some more explanation of specifically what happened and what was done to fix it and why it is now all full of links to ads). This is the second time this year, the Forum has been attacked like that. Any idea why HG is being singled out; I've never seen anything like it anywhere else.

A little more communication would be really nice!

I blame the drought :wink: :lol:

webmaster
Site Admin

It's hard to communicate when the site is down. :)

THG has a Facebook page and I was posting some updates there. I was also in direct email contact with members who took the time to email me.

The server control panel was out of date but the cp software maker no longer supported the flavor of linux os the server was running on. So the web host had to physically install a new hard drive with a different version of linux os, then install a new cp. THG had to be uploaded and configured anew. Unfortunately there were hangups with the backups. I wrestled with it for a week, staying up until three AM and waking up at 7 AM to work on it some days.

Finally I threw in the towel and sought the help of someone with considerably more skills than I, twenty years more skills than I have. Even for him it was a challenge and it took him several evenings working on it to get the site back up and running without loss of any posts.

DownriverGardener

can you send a link to the FB page? I've been searching and searching and I cannot find it!

webmaster
Site Admin

https://www.facebook.com/helpfulgardener

https://twitter.com/helpfulgardener

I post on twitter infrequently, usually to highlight interesting discusions. But I'm going to try to post more to twitter and facebook for those who would like to follow along.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

me too! looked for a FB page too. I missed this forum SOOOOOOOOOO much I've been going crazy! so glad it is back. thank you for the hard work!

RogueRose
Green Thumb

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! I was going crazy without y'all! SO glad the forum is back up. I MISSED you guys! We should get a FB page up as a back up.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Thanks again for all your hard work Roger. I looked for a contact but I guess I didn't look deep enough. Didn't think of Facebook either, not that I use it.

luvthesnapper

Who attacks a gardening forum? Friggin' wierdos, that's who.

Looks like everyone survived though. Tomatoes are still getting diseases, and ber still exists, so all is normal again. :D

SvetSad

Yay! I'm so glad the forum is back!

I am currently having an issue with searching the forum... I get NO results for anything I search (altho I can search this forum through google and get results just fine)

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I was also in direct email contact with members who took the time to email me.
Thanks for all your loss of sleep and hard work Roger. Sorry to bother you with email, I was curious.

I thought I was kidding, but in the third email, I was correct. :wink: :lol:

Eric

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Thank you for your work, now get some sleep.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Aaahh! That was a long few days. So glad things are up and running.

Thank you Roger for managing this thing. I am 'puter brown thumbs and appreciate your work/dedication.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

an addition to last post. While gone, the plants still grew, or not, drought/heat kept on, pests as hungry as ever, and we survived. We all have had our successes and failures this past week in the garden, well I know I have!
Carry On! as my Mom (late) would say.

pickupguy07

What disappointed me (or I could was confusing) was that there was no way to contact anyone on the site to let them know there was an issue.
I wasn't aware they had a FB page so logically I went to the main web site https://www.helpfulgardener.com/ to try and contact the admins there.

I DID find a link that said "Contact",... but all it did was take you to a page that told you to go to the Gardner's Forum (which was what was down in the first place). SO that did no good.
I FINALLY looked them up on twitter, sending a message THAT way, and just HOPED that someone might see it.

Glad it's back up, but may ought to be a little consideration given to a "contact us" link (via email) put somewhere on the main web site in case this happens again. (just my 2 cents)

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I must confess, I missed the forum too. Thanks for all your efforts to get it back and keep it running.

Jeffross1968

The day the site went down I was getting a warning about not coming to the becsuse of malicious software. That message went away after a day and then just no page available.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

pickupguy07 wrote:What disappointed me (or I could was confusing) was that there was no way to contact anyone on the site to let them know there was an issue.
I wasn't aware they had a FB page so logically I went to the main web site https://www.helpfulgardener.com/ to try and contact the admins there.

I DID find a link that said "Contact",... but all it did was take you to a page that told you to go to the Gardner's Forum (which was what was down in the first place). SO that did no good.
I FINALLY looked them up on twitter, sending a message THAT way, and just HOPED that someone might see it.

Glad it's back up, but may ought to be a little consideration given to a "contact us" link (via email) put somewhere on the main web site in case this happens again. (just my 2 cents)
It's a little buried but if you look at the bottom of the page you linked to, it's under Privacy Policy.
Privacy Policy
The Helpful Gardener respects your privacy. We do not use your email for any marketing efforts, and all email addresses submitted to us are kept in strict confidence and never shared with any third parties.

Cookies
We use cookies in our forum as part of the normal way of identifying you for the purpose of giving you private access to your Private Mail box, as well as allowing you to post under your chosen username. We do not use cookies to personally identify you.

The Helpful Gardener respects your privacy. Should you have any questions about our Privacy Policy, please email us: admin at helpfulgardener.com
Now that the BB is back up you could PM Roger for a more direct email.

Eric

There is freedom within, there is freedom without
Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup
There's a battle ahead, many battles are lost
But you'll never see the end of the road
While you're traveling with me

Hey now, hey now
Don't dream it's over
Hey now, hey now
When the world comes in
They come, they come
To build a wall between us
We know they won't win

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

DDF oh so now you tell me. :lol: :wink:

I looked everywhere for an email even on that page. There is was right in front of me. I even looked several times. :lol: :oops: I saw the links that went to this forum that didn't work but I guess that email just went right past me.

Like that old saying: "Can't see the tomatoes for the vines" or it went something like that.

SLC

Just found this thread and want to add that I am so glad the forum is back up!!!

My plants were freaking out without it!!! :wink:

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Roger took the time to respond to several of my emails. I consider this above and beyond the call...

Get some sleep and I promise to leave you alone.

I'll post some of my political views tomorrow.

:D

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”