stella1751
Greener Thumb

I'm not addicted to kitchenware, but I do buy a lot of it. It all seems to wind up outside. Cookie sheets for seedlings, bowls to pick produce, butcher knives to edge the lawn, storage containers for amendments--I recently found a bread pan out there, and I can't for the life of me remember why I took it outside :roll:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Butcher knives to edge the lawn!?? :? Point up or point down? :) Sounds a little scary either way... and an extremely expensive form of edging if you are just using them for the wooden handles.

I don't feel like I ever buy any kitchenware... so how is it I have so many cupboards full of it? I "only" have four regular (rectangular) bread pans (in a couple sizes), 2 sizes of flat round ones for like Irish soda bread, and a little heart shaped one for valentine's breads/ cakes. (Plus a multitude of pie pans, cake pans, angel food cake pan, bundt pan....). Some I've had forever. I think I bought the bundt pan back in the 60's. Some people give me. VERY occasionally I buy something new (like once every few years). And some I swear just appear in my cupboards! :)

applestar
Mod

I don't know how many of anything I have -- my cupboards are infested with black holes. Kitchen utensils and pans disappear when I most need them. Things like special size or shape cake pans, springform pans, etc. disappear until I beg, buy or borrow them. :roll:

(Wait! Reading over what rainbowgardener wrote, I think we know where MY kitchen stuff are disappearing TO! :lol:)

One time, it wasn't until I had loaded the window bench with wintering plants that I remembered I had stored the pumpkin carving set I'll need for Halloween and the special bunt pan I'll need for a birthday cake inside. :oops:

lorax
Greener Thumb

Ooh, ooh, me! I have baguette pans, stollen pans, lebekuchen pans, the long sealing-tube pan for making dense-grain dark rye breads, five different sizes of standard loaf pans, brioche pans and briochettes, a special tempered basket for making pao de milho, silicone pans and sheets for things that don't fit in those others, and that's all only for bread! I also tend to buy pans that touch my fancy.

I've also got a lovely collection of cake pans, primarily springforms of varying sizes, but also flower-topped silicone molds for certain shortcakes, fleur-de-lis for finger-sized cakes, a variety of bundts both standard, silicone, fluted, and springform, and a plethora of muffin tins of varying materials and sizes. Oh, and five brownie pans (which are only used for brownies) and a massive granola pan (only used for granola).

Then again, I also have a catering bakery..... :shock:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Wow!! But if you have a bakery, you have a good excuse. But where do you put it all! I haven't been in Ecuador, but I know in Costa Rica, houses tend to be quite small, with nothing like the amount of kitchen storage space we consider essential here....

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I have 8 or 10 loaf pans. I use them for storing small parts, nuts, bolts and screws. They hang out in the garage on a shelf over the work bench.

A butcher knife is one of my favorite weeding tools.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

C'mon, James.... I've seen your pictures of cartloads of produce from your garden. Someone must cook up a lot of that stuff! Surely you don't sell it all off and then eat TV dinners! :)

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I am not really into bread that much. But I like to make juice with my juicer and dry a bunch of things in my dehydrator. What I really wish I could afford are some really good knives. I also one day wanna upgrade my blender to a top of the line type brand.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

A butcher knife is the only tool that will edge the thick turf that runs along my sidewalk. I've tried edgers, but they don't go deep enough to make the edging last. I pick up butcher's knives at garage sales for 50 cents apiece and chuck them when I'm done.

I didn't do it last year, and now I can barely open my front gate because the dead lawn at its sides is a frozen, leaf-attracting chunk.

lorax
Greener Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:Wow!! But if you have a bakery, you have a good excuse. But where do you put it all! I haven't been in Ecuador, but I know in Costa Rica, houses tend to be quite small, with nothing like the amount of kitchen storage space we consider essential here....
I have a nifty piece of furniture not often seen in modern North American houses. Down here, it's called an Aparador, and in NorAm probably a Sideboard/China Cabinet. Basically, it's 8' long by 8' tall of shelves and drawers, the top portion 4' having glass doors and shelves. Sort of a giant cabinet on wheels, really. I've got two, and will probably end up investing in a third. They're completely indispensable. Mine live in my dining room (which is huge), and I tend to display the more lovely of the cake tins and moulds and whatnot in the glass area.

Then again, we generally choose the houses we rent by their kitchens, so I've also been lucky with larger than usual ones. A high percentage of Ecuadorians work in the US and Canada in to save up to build their houses, and so if you get anything built in the last 20 years, they have what's called "American" kitchens, which are large, many-cupboarded, open-plan affairs.

One of the beautiful things of Ecuadorian kitchens is that a high percentage of them have all marble countertops, since Ecuador is a producer of fine marble. The house I'm leaving has pink travertine counters; the one I'm going to (sadly) has blue marble tile counters, which is a bit of a PITA since while bread dough won't stick to marble, it will stick to grout. I'll probably end up having a rolling marble-topped island made.

Oh, and don't get me started on my knife collection.... Just for the garden I've got 6 or 7 kitchen-type knives, and a mini kitchen machete for edging grass and trimming bananas.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

OK, sorry stella. You meant butcher knives as a TOOL to use to edge the lawn. I was thinking of the knives as the actual edging... you know, a little 3" high fence made of hundreds of butcher knife handles, sticking up, with the knife blades sunk in the soil. :) It would work, but be a bit odd looking and as I suggested very expensive. And in my neighborhood, I'd be worried about arming the neighborhood, as passers by came and pulled the knives out again....

Dixana
Greener Thumb

Me? Have too much kitchen stuff? Don't you know there is no such thing?!
Nope, I do not have an entire cabinet, above and below, full of bread pans, baking pans, bundt pans, springform pans, cupcake pans, cake pans, cookie sheets.......
But honestly, there are so many more things I need. I don't have a blender! And we somehow lost my very expensive food processor when we moved :'(
There is also a slight possibility that I have a huge drawer full of knives on top my Chicago cutlery knife block of awesome knives :oops: :D

lorax
Greener Thumb

Dix, how can you live without a blender? I've got two - the one I use and the one that's waiting for the daily use one to break down! I couldn't survive more than a week without my blenders - they're also my juicers....

Am I wrong to be envious of your big drawer of knives?

Dixana
Greener Thumb

No, you're not wrong to be jealous, I looooove my knives! I am a knife for virtually everything. Several bread knives, several filet knives, a scaling knife, 5 different paring knives, probably 7 or 8 butcher knives, and a ton of that misc. knives that don't really get used much. I also have 4 knife sharpeners......

How I survive without a blender I really don't know, especially since I lost my food processor. But I do have a professional grade kitchenaid mixer that I honestly could not live without. I use it at least 3 times a week, usually more.
I do need to get a blender though seeing as my latest fetish is smoothies and it is a very time consuming to mash up the fruit and throw everything in the mixer. More work, more dishes, and it takes a long time.

applestar
Mod

Ah, a knife sharpener... Or two or three ...or four? :P... The MOST important tool in the kitchen! :wink:

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”