tomc
Super Green Thumb

Dan (Grunt) McMurray

Dan McMurray was instrumental in seed saving and sharing. He passed 2-15-12

He will be missed.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

This is seriously sad, Tomc. Dan probably hardly remembered his interaction with me but he had an important influence on my gardening. I hope it is okay with those who knew him better if I just tell you how.

He lost his Beloved a few short years ago and seemed to be less active after that. At least, I wasn't aware of what he was up to in the last few years. And yet, I was nearly his neighbor. If you head due north from my home - you will arrive very quickly in the Kootenai Valley (or Kootenay, as the Canadians like to spell it ;) ). Down the Kootenay River a ways, you come to Creston and Dan's home in Wynndel, just another klick or 2 down the river.

The rivers run north in this part of the world . . .

I never met Dan but asked him on another forum how he was able to grow so many tomato varieties in his part of the world. He said, you can grow them all! Altho' further north, Dan was at a lower elevation and his season ran on a little longer than mine. Still, I was inspired by his willingness to write about his garden and all his many photographs, to try . . .

I was happy to think of him as my neighbor. He was an inspirational gardener.

Dan passed away on my father's 94th birthday. Someone else who has inspired me.

Steve

I will try a link to [url=https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Kootenay+River+Bridge,+Creston,+BC,+Canada&aq=&sll=40.744006,-74.006996&sspn=0.081415,0.210629&vpsrc=0&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Kootenay+River+Bridge,+Creston,+Central+Kootenay+Regional+District,+British+Columbia+V0B+1G7,+Canada&ll=49.117254,-116.580391&spn=0.069885,0.210629&t=m&z=13&iwloc=A&layer=c&cbll=49.117238,-116.580468&panoid=vE1H376WyzFsAyz5P3VGbQ&cbp=13,270.09,,0,23.07]Google Street View.[/url] If you turn the camera a little to your left, you will have a view of Dan's part of the world.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

To get just an idea of the importance of Dan and Val McMurray, read this page-long encomium (written while both were alive) at the [url=https://kootenaygardening.com/garden_vegetable_heirloom.htm]KootenaysGardening[/url] site. Many beautiful photos of their tomato plants, too! *sigh*

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”