digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Twitter - thru a glass, darkly

I first get my news thru Twitter for the most part.

Here I am on a Garden Forum :)! I email old friends & family. DD & DS & I use text to communicate. I try to use face-to-face interactions with nearby friends & neighbors. Twitter could be used for all of that but it would be a little awkward. (Don't get me started on my now dated relationship with Facebook :roll: .)

I follow the reporters - the "chattering class" - on Twitter. They chat amongst themselves quite a bit and share links to stories. Off I go . . .

Twitter is something that you can use to find out what people are involved in. Like that Japanese tsunami . . !! Or, this morning: #syntagma takes you to the demonstrations in Greece. I don't know much about this and don't even know what syntagma means but, lots of people do.

One can also use Twitter for simpler sorts of things. Example: if you are attending a conference, you may be directed to a hashtag like "#gardenexpo" where you could keep abreast to what is going on and maybe figure out where your friends are planning to have lunch :wink: !

There are other searches that can have a real sobering affect while you are keeping your finger on the pulse of things. Note the aforementioned Japanese tsunami. But, this morning I looked at #poverty. There are a few points of light in the communication - like in Rwanda & Haiti. Still, I sure got into that old sinking feeling after reading for a few minutes . . .

Steve :?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

[img]https://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ls3864JanG1r0j41h.jpg[/img]
Last edited by rainbowgardener on Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

HaHa!

I'm out and about thru the morning and back for lunch. DW doesn't join me so I reheat the chowder I made yesterday and carry it into the living room to watch the tube.

Two old movies are what I find first - Sandra Bullock is driving a bus at breakneck speed. As much as I like Sandra Bullock, too intense!! Second movie: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Jack Nicholson.

Oh boy . . . I loved the book, read it twice. Loved the movie 30 years ago - sorta. Too intense! I just can't take Nurse Ratched - hate, hate, hate her! Change channels . . .

CSPAN. Okay, I missed the congressional hearing, I'll watch a little of this. Relax. Eat my chowder. It is General Clapper, Director of National Intelligence and General David Petraeus, Director of the CIA. Okay, I can calm down.

They are talking about Iran as a nuclear threat. I'm appreciating the answers and thinking how the questions could be better phrased, how the hearing might be better organized. . .

No, I normally watch very, very little CSPAN. Maybe I've already lost touch with my sanity that a chase scene with Sandra Bullock is way too much for me but I can relax while learning something about Iran as potentially, a nuclear power.

Back on Twitter I learn that President Papademos says the vote of Parliament will determine whether Greece will stay in the Euro or be sent to disorderly bankruptcy and that despite being nominated in no categories, Jeremy Lin is expected to sweep the #Grammys tonight. LOL

Steve

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I do not Twitter much as most people post the most trifle matters.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

It is true.

Even amongst the serious journalists - they love to share their experiences watching "the game."

You can do what I do sometimes . . . unfollow them on the night of the big game or their conference meeting :> . Follow them again, after they've sobered up the next day.

;)

Steve

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”