tomf
Super Green Thumb

Cat dumping; sad news.

Looks like I have another cat, some one dumped a cat on my road and it was at my door. It was rainning and the cat was dry so we just missed the car; I want a gate. The cat is a lblack ong haired and is very loving so my wife feel for it right away. Now I hope my other cat gets along with her.
Last edited by tomf on Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I do not know why they felt they had to dump this cat, it could be they could not take care of her or find her a home. Perhaps they felt the cat would stand a better chance in the country, I do not know where she came from but out here a cat has to be woods wise of it will get eaten.

applestar
Mod

When I first saw the title of this thread, I thought it was another one about neighborhood cats using the garden as litterbox. Then I saw it was from you, Tom, and thought maybe you're talking about a mountain lion :wink:

shadylane
Green Thumb

I agree Tom, some people drop off their unwanted animals down the gravel roads assuming they will have a good chance of survival. I have had cats, and dogs. I don't know why they think this is the correct way of handling problems perhaps they themselevs being a coward. Our veterinarian takes them in for hopeful adoption and we too have Pet Project in the area. On the serious side we have incountered a few Puma or better known as Mt. Lion, their out there!!

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Too many cats and dogs dumped along our rural route as well.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

:( for the cat, who wonders why its former home suddenly disappeared so coldly and cruelly (and in a winter rain :x). Reminds me of Angel, a 9.5-y.o. Berner we rescued in December 2001 whose people abandoned her by leaving her behind in their former neighborhood when they moved away.

:D for you, taking this lucky lucky lucky cat in from the rain and giving it a home.

Bless you for that.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

tomf
Super Green Thumb

The two cats are both female and are in the process of getting to know one another. The cat we had is a bit upset over this, the new cat is young and she will make friends with Sara If Sara lets her. The new cat is very affectionate so she must have gotten a lot of attention. We thought about taking her to a place where they find homes for cats but it is to late now; Sara will just have to adjust.

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:When I first saw the title of this thread, I thought it was another one about neighborhood cats using the garden as litterbox.:wink:
Lol dam and I thought I was going to learn how to keep my cats. From doing that in my garden. Turn that soil its like saying hey kitty I did the hard part. Where does tom live I got somemore kitties from him. Lol j/k

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Sad news; my old cat has around 2 weeks to live according to the vet. Her kidneys are failing, she is 16 years old and I love that cat so I am rather sad. Perhaps the new cat showed up at the right time, at least it will get a good home.

applestar
Mod

So sorry to hear, Tom. My cat was 18-1/2 when he passed and it was very hard to see him go.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Oh, no. :( Did the vet suggest that you and your wife perform subcutaneous hydration therapy for your cat to make her more comfortable? I've done this for two (three?) of my cats when they had kidney troubles (yes, terminal kidney troubles, sadly), and it made their last days/weeks more comfortable. They could sleep more soundly, had better appetite, etc.

I'm so sorry.

Cynthia

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

Dam...

tomf
Super Green Thumb

cynthia_h wrote:Oh, no. :( Did the vet suggest that you and your wife perform subcutaneous hydration therapy for your cat to make her more comfortable? I've done this for two (three?) of my cats when they had kidney troubles (yes, terminal kidney troubles, sadly), and it made their last days/weeks more comfortable. They could sleep more soundly, had better appetite, etc.

I'm so sorry.

Cynthia
Yes we did that, 3 days at the vet.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

GG - your next step in development as a Forum user is get familiar with Search the Forum

Here's a thread on keeping cats away from your garden plants, that also has links to other such threads

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=231949#231949

I found it by typing cat AND garden into the Search the Forum keyword box.

Tom - so sorry about your older cat. We had a 17 yr old cat we had to put down about a year ago. We still miss her.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”