cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Yup. And *this* is the core of why I personally will not adopt a Pit or any other dog that is a terrier or terrier X. I have no interest in training a dog with a "hard" edge. Berners and Berner X's are "soft" dogs, and there are a few other breeds that are "soft."

I came to dogs later in life (was cats-only until then) and they've helped me with the incredible pain of doctor-neglected situations as well as the overwhelming feelings of "this pain will be with me until I die, and there is no doctor willing to help." It only took 12 years to find one....doctor, that is. :x

So I'm completely NOT interested in using emotional force or strength to train a dog upon whom I need to rely for service-type help. (Also, terriers and terrier X's simply aren't large enough to help me retain balance when my legs betray me, as they still sometimes do, even after both knees have been replaced.)

I've used positive reinforcement training only, and I've rehabbed three rescue dogs, one of them to the point where he earned a carting title from the national breed club. All of my dogs, so far, have been Canine Good Citizens.

So, yes, absolutely: the right dog is crucial. Pitties are sweet; I've seen some who were positive-reinforcement trained. I'm not quite sure why they're called "terriers"; maybe the word just got attached to their name and they never were vermin-catchers? That would be terrific for behavioral/training purposes. :)

Cynthia

stella1751
Greener Thumb

I never think of the APBT as a terrier. It just doesn't seem to act like my stereotype of a terrier. I see pits more as a bull dog descendent, with that charming, fiercely loyal, honest disposition and quirky sense of humor.

Poor Zeke looks nothing like my notion of a terrier, but he sure acts like my notion of a terrier.

[img]https://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy292/mitbah/Zeke_1.jpg[/img]

There's a perfect home out there for dogs like Zeke, perhaps someone with a dozen hyperactive children. He just got unlucky when I picked his number :roll:

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

He's almost the spittin' image of my Angus, who is part Black Lab and part some kind of hound. Angus' ears are a bit longer than a purebred Lab's, and his head is smaller. I have to keep his collar a bit tighter than I ordinarily would, to keep him from slipping out of it, because he has the more gracile head of a hound, but the thicker neck of a Lab.

He's a bright, but stubborn dog, but I don't mind. I've trained Komondorok, and they're about as stubborn a dog as you'll find. :lol:

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

If Zeke ever needs a new home, there's an island off the coast of Washington where he's always welcome. Very handsome.

OneDogFarm
Eric

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Kisal wrote:He's almost the spittin' image of my Angus, who is part Black Lab and part some kind of hound. Angus' ears are a bit longer than a purebred Lab's, and his head is smaller. I have to keep his collar a bit tighter than I ordinarily would, to keep him from slipping out of it, because he has the more gracile head of a hound, but the thicker neck of a Lab.

He's a bright, but stubborn dog, but I don't mind. I've trained Komondorok, and they're about as stubborn a dog as you'll find. :lol:
I adopted him because I thought he was a Lab mix. You can't go wrong with a Lab mix, right? I don't know what he's got in him that makes him be the way he is, but I am determined not to make the same mistake again. I'm not a dog trainer. It should be enough that I speak sharply to them to make them stop wrong behavior. Speaking sharply to Zeke merely elicits perked ears and a steadfast desire to do the same thing later.

Eric, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. One time, when I took Zeke and Dempsey in for their annual checkup, there was a substitute vet. My regular vet was on vacation. She said, "Okay. Which one do we do first?" I said, "We always start with the good looking one," meaning, of course, my handsome Dempsey. She nodded and grabbed Zeke's leash.

Demspey and I just stared at each other in stupefaction :shock:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Cynthia ask any APBT owner and they will tell you they are the smartest easiest to train dong on the planet. Even armed forces and law enforcement are moving to them over Rotts and Dobies for drug/bomb sniffing and whatever else. DO any of you know Sgt. Stubby one of the most famous Armed forces dogs ever from WWI. Some of the best service dogs around even in librarys for kids.

I don't see any boxer in Peter from DDF's post. That is just not a Boxer as they call it.

Cynthia one more sorry I couldn't resist. First off I am very sorry for your health problems. You are a good person and that shouldn't happen to good people or anyone for that matter. But you said:
So I'm completely NOT interested in using emotional force or strength to train a dog upon whom I need to rely for service-type help. (Also, terriers and terrier X's simply aren't large enough to help me retain balance when my legs betray me, as they still sometimes do, even after both knees have been replaced.)
3,375 lbs
[img]https://i45.servimg.com/u/f45/11/55/78/46/apbapu11.jpg[/img]
This one is photoshopped but still
[img]https://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/Marty2k6/Lilbit/pit_bull_pull1.jpg[/img]

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Cynthia, After trying the shepherd mix ( which turned out to be a disaster for us) then the Big guy that was so thin ( now I forgot the breed! :oops: )

We FINALLY lucked out. A lady had placed a bernese mountain dog, lab cross on the local kijiji, for $100.00. I enquired, but after having two that didn't work out, I wasn't real enthusiatic, so just decided to leave looking at her.

She was the last pup, out of a big litter of 10, was the runt, that they kept. Her mother was a chocolate lab, father a bernese mountain dog. She was about 6 mos old., Black and white, slightly curly coat like the bernese.

But hubby thought we should wait, so did I actually. The woman that owned her, on the other hand did not!!!! She kept e-mailing me, and finally called.

We decided that we would just look at her, on the way home from Calgary on day.

We met her on a farm road, and she was/is :roll: a real sweety.

Her owner said she had so many weird people enquire that she would give her to us, just so she had a good home. Well the dog knew who she needed to convince apparently, she loved my husband!!

So in the truck she went, and she was a year old nov.2nd 2011.

What a suck!!!! She sleeps in her crate at night, if she needs out in the night, she lets us know, she snores, lol, and makes the weirdest grunting noises at times.

Loves to play with her toys, and brings them back after you throw them. BUT what I couldn't believe, was one night watching t.v., hubby called her up, into the recliner with him, she Loves her tummy to be rubbed, so there they sat for awhile. Now when she thinks she needs a cuddle, she goes over and looks at him, until he says to come up.

She has turned out to be the dog we were looking for and couldn't find!!!

She virtually got pushed off on us, and was the best thing that ever happened. So smart!! Always watching to see what's going on, very good in the house, never destructive, or dirty.

She seriously must think she is a very small dog, as she has made herself fit into one of the dogs beds, that is way too small for her, looks silly, but she loves it.

She lets us know if someone is around, but usually by just a low woof, but if she thinks it's serious, she barks. I have to say that has got to be one of the nicest crosses we have ever encountered.

Finally have the dog we want, and almost had to have her dumped on us, *lol*
Sure glad she was. She has such an original name, Bernie!!! :oops: But better than Bernice!!!!!

Talk about a soft mouth, that must have come from the lab? Whatever, we just love her!!! Finally a HAPPY ending for us!!! :D

stella1751
Greener Thumb

What a great story, Green Mantis. I can remember (I think it was you) telling us about the shepherd debacle a year or so ago. I'm glad you found the perfect one!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Can't go wrong with a Lab - Lab mix. I believe my buddy Jacob was a Lab / Bernese or Lab Newfoundland cross.

Eric

Nickysflowers

american stafford shire terrier pitbull- that's the kinda dog I have and she has the same mouth head ears everything even the short build.

Nickysflowers

[img]https://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg509/nckysflowers/photo-5.jpg[/img] this is my dog I think the dog in the picture other then the color looks just like him.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

You are right, Nickysflowers! Yet another possibility. You've got an attractive one, by the way!

She's still at the shelter. Dogs come and dogs go, and she remains. I suspect they must find her as appealing as I do. (This is a kill shelter, and she has been there since the day after Christmas.) I never did hear back about my application. I hope they will contact me if they can't find her a great home with active children.

Every now and again, I think I should just go down and visit her, just once. Then reason kicks in. Zeke's arthritis worsens daily. It could be the weather, and it could be the old legs have finally worn out. I really can't bring home an active young dog when he is suffering so much discomfort. The kidneys are probably starting to go, too. He drinks upwards of a gallon of water a day. I think he is beginning his last spring.

Once he's gone, bless his old blue merle heart, then I can begin thinking in earnest, if I am so inclined.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

DoubleDogFarm wrote:Can't go wrong with a Lab - Lab mix. I believe my buddy Jacob was a Lab / Bernese or Lab Newfoundland cross.

Eric
Eric, I can't believe I didn't register this post when you put it on the board. "my buddy Jacob was"--was? Jacob and Pepper, the Two (Double) Dogs???

You've lost one of the dogs you've been telling us about?! Please, no; but if so, I am so very sad and sorry.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Nickysflowers

The best dog I ever had was a lab. My dog I have now I saved him from going to a kill shelter at 2 years old or so I was told we have had him 3 years. Well he's really about 9 or 10 now with allot of problems so I don't know how much longer he will be around. A black lab as a puppy would be the only other kind of dog I would get. They are such smart and protective dogs, excellent around children you couldn't ask for a better dog then a lab :) ~Nicky~

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

cynthia_h wrote:
DoubleDogFarm wrote:Can't go wrong with a Lab - Lab mix. I believe my buddy Jacob was a Lab / Bernese or Lab Newfoundland cross.

Eric
Eric, I can't believe I didn't register this post when you put it on the board. "my buddy Jacob was"--was? Jacob and Pepper, the Two (Double) Dogs???

You've lost one of the dogs you've been telling us about?! Please, no; but if so, I am so very sad and sorry.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9
Thanks Cynthia.
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/1%20Dogs%20%20Jacob%20and%20Pepper/DSC02911.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/1%20Dogs%20%20Jacob%20and%20Pepper/DSC02921.jpg[/img]
Yes. Jacob disappeared about 12:30 pm Dec. 31. The two dogs disappeared, from a customers home, but only Peppercorn returned the following morning. Most likely Jacob died in the woods. The unknowing is the worst part. :cry:

Eric

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Oh, Eric! I'm so very sorry to hear that! Your doggies are like members here! I will miss Jacob very much. :cry:

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Oh, my God, Eric. You don't even have his body. That is the very worst. The not knowing...for sure...what went wrong.

He was the older of the two? Had he been showing even subtle signs of not being well? (keeping in mind that dogs are excellent at hiding illness, probably as good as cats are, due to the "must avoid showing vulnerability" handed down from Mother Nature).

I'm very sorry to know that you've been dealing with this without our support. :( Please accept my condolences.

Cynthia

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Eric, my heart goes out to you. That is the worst kind of a loss. The not knowing must make you frantic.

My sister lost a beloved dog in Tacoma. Her collie mix made a break for freedom while my brother was supposedly watching her play on the front lawn. My sister went crazy with wondering and worrying.

Six months later, she got a call from the local kill shelter. They had scanned her microchip and were able to track down my sister. When my sister picked her up, the dog's pads were bloody and her nails worn down to nothing. They figured someone had taken her and kept her in a fenced yard and that the dog had finally managed to dig her way out.

I hope you have a happy ending to your story. Jacob looks like a good one. Someone might have him. At least you can hope :cry:

applestar
Mod

:cry: So sorry to hear, Eric. :cry:

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Stella,

Sorry. I had no intention in taking over your post, but now that it has happened, it's a bit more private. I'm more reluctant when it it comes to personal matters.

Jacob,
13+ years old
Addison's disease. Jacob required a Percorten injection monthly and a daily 10mg tablet of Prednisone.
Thyroid disease. Jacob was also on, twice a day, Thyrosyn 0.8mg.
Jacob was having issues with his back legs but his front legs very strong. He was still able to go up and down the stairs, but was not able to jump into the cab of the truck. Getting out of the truck was no problem. Most of the time he pushed me out, especially if a treat was waiting for him. Our small town is a dog town. Everywhere you go, biscuits for dogs. The bank, hardware store and even some of the diners and dives. Jacob had love handles. :)

If he died doing something he loved good for him. We should all be so lucky.

Thank you for all the kind thoughts public and private.
Eric

ps. Zeke, you are not second fiddle, remember that!

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Eric, threads assume a life all their own in this forum. This is no longer my thread but Jacob's. Jacob's a handsome dog, showing more of the old Newfoundland type than you generally see these days. I'm using present tense here because I'm wishing for a happy ending to your story.

BTW, Dempsey used to think my bank in Cheyenne was a doggy drive-thru. The minute we pulled in, he joined me in the front seat, leaned across me, and adopted his most winning smile, with just a trace of his "She's a good enough owner, but I haven't had a square meal in days" look. I made pretty good interest in biscuits at that bank!

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”