stella1751
Greener Thumb

Tilde wrote:I vote for chickens. Lots of chickens. I'm sorry. I've seen junk like this before :( Sorry.
We're not zoned for chickens. Oh, the irony of it all :lol:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Just poop on the step. 8)

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Not zoned for chickens!?

Well, that being the case, I think I'd be doing most anything I wanted and all but invite official reaction. Then, having the media standing by . . .

Sometimes, a reporter can be of help. Once, investigating a story I was a part of resulted in the uncovering of an official boo-boo! The newspaper reporter was able to ask questions and expect answers. When the answers didn't add up -- that was the story.

Things turned around instantly! And, we got what we wanted. . . . It also helped that we had our state legislator apprised of the situation. After this unexpected story broke, the officials were entangled in what the newspaper called "a thorny issue."

Steve

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Digits I was entangled in a thorny issue once when clearing black berry bushes from part of my land. :wink:

stella1751
Greener Thumb

The die is cast. Now comes the waiting. I did not attend last night's meeting. I felt like doing so would indicate tacit recognition of the Casper Zoning and Planning Commission's authority. After what they did with the fudge shop, I cannot respect them. Instead, I made a big noise and earned the moniker "The Crazy Woman of University Court." Now I wait for the minutes to be published, maybe today, maybe in 2012.

I want to thank everyone for being there for me through this really ugly ordeal, for listening to me whine and for making me laugh. Now that I'm in this fight alone, I really needed someone to do just that: listen and crack wise.

Gardeners are actually good, friendly people who just happen to like growing things.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

wish I could help. Cracking wise just isn't my forte. :D

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Charlie you are cracked, this is one of the things I like about you. :wink:

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

To forestall future applications, I must make my block undesirable without winding up in jail or paying huge fines. What is the worst neighbor you have ever had about whom you could do nothing? I'm up to anything. Don't pull your punches.
I too live in a small town. It is my experience that those who end up on planning and zoning boards usually have an agenda. The only thing that ever works in getting the decision you want is to stir up the whole town into a frenzy. Then they make so much noise that the zoning board will listen for fear of being ridden out of town on a rail.

Turning your own place into a trash heap won't change a thing.

I assume that there is a zoning ordinance in place already? How about a loud noise ordinance? How about parking restrictions? How about businesses in a residential district? You need to know what the rules are and call the cops 3 times a day to complain. Get any other neighbors who may side with you to do the same. Write a letter to the editor. Call a reporter and cry on his shoulder. If he feels there is just cause at the very least he will write a story and get the word out. Push your story on facebook. You can also call the mayor and town board often. The squeaky hinge gets the oil.

Oh, and last but not least, tell the jerk off and tell him to get his junk off the street!!!

Be a "crazy woman" if that is what it takes to wake up the town.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

I still don't know what the verdict was. Nothing is posted on the Planning & Zoning website, and I cannot bring myself to call. Calling will put me in the position of supplicant, like a dog rolling over to expose its belly, and because I refuse to recognize this body's authority, I can't demonstrate any sign of weakness. I'd rather be thought bonkers than weak.

At the last minute, I tried to elicit the assistance of the neighbors on the far side of Myron. They have been turning him in to animal control for barking dogs since he moved in. I drove over to their place. They questioned me thoroughly on my position regarding barking dogs. I had to confess that dogs that bark at movement around their property do not bother me. It's pretty much what dogs do.

(Except for my remaining one, the almost 14-year-old Zeke. He whines. Now, that's annoying. A good honest bark would be greatly preferable to a whine.]

Anyway, I gave them my email address and asked them to email me if they heard anything. I haven't heard from them, so I suspect I failed the angry neighbor test.

Here's what I'm thinking now, and this is a huge project. Charlie got me thinking, though. Art should not be against any zoning regs, but I will need to research this.

My graduate school minor was art. I'm no great painter, but I can make a decent fascimile of a person, place, or thing. I am thinking about painting a mural on the front of my house. To the left of the kitchen window would be a 3' x 4' rendition of Edvard Munch's [url=https://www.jim3dlong.com/1893_Edvard_Munch_The_Scream-WL400.jpg]The Scream[/url].

To the right of the window would be two burglars, something like this: [url]https://blogs.southcoasttoday.com/file/import/2082a11b-d1fd-4afb-8aa9-a1973808e05d.gif[/url]. One would have a "P" on his shirt; the other, a "Z."

Here's the problem I foresee: prepping the canvas. My house is stucco. I really have no idea what that means, only that the texture is all wrong for painting. What could I cover the stucco with to smooth it out? Putty? That would be a lot of putty. Is there some kind of a thick gunky stuff that is weather resistant, oil-based, and easy to apply?

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Nah. Scratch that. I just pulled out some old photos, and I see the rock facing goes too high. If I want to make my painting, I will have to build a scaffold for the surface. I don't know how I would attach the scaffold to the wall so it wouldn't blow away.

Back to the drawing board :evil:

Tilde
Green Thumb

stella1751 wrote:
Tilde wrote:I vote for chickens. Lots of chickens. I'm sorry. I've seen junk like this before :( Sorry.
We're not zoned for chickens. Oh, the irony of it all :lol:
Put in for a zoning variance for your chicken farm. Duh! :wink:

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Tilde, I seriously considered this. It would be an A-1 zoning, I believe. There's not a snowball's chance in Hades I would get it, but it would amuse me to no end to think about the look on their faces when they read my application. First, stupefaction. Then, annoyance when they read the applicant's name :lol:

Hmm. Maybe a concerted, all-fronts attack isn't a bad idea. Based upon news reports I have read, my street is not the only one to have suffered from some seriously resident-unfriendly decisions. It might just be time to push the envelope while showing them how truly crazy I can be :twisted:

applestar
Mod

Whatever you decide to do, wishing you achieve the best outcome, Stella. :D

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”