tomf
Super Green Thumb

When the stars disappear.

I live out in the country side but work nights in a city just out side of Portland Oregon. When I go to work from my home the stars disappear and only a few remain to be seen. Where I live you can see billions of stars. We watch satellites come over and have seen the space station. My mom lives in the Boston area and when she comes out to visit she always wants to go out at night and see the stars, there is even more light pollution where she lives so the stars fascinate her. At night if I look west toward Portland and there is a glow in the sky. On cloudy nights the glow lights the clouds and is even brighter. It is sad that there are millions of people living with out stars and most do not even know it.
Last edited by tomf on Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

That is one of my favorite things to do when I'd go to the country to visit my late father-in-law. He lived in the middle of nowhere off a gravel road and at night my wife and I would just sit under the stars and look skyward.

Living in the city makes it almost impossible to view the night sky with any clarity and the only time I can remember seeing the sky very clearly off my back porch is the days after Hurricane Katrina hit and the city was almost totally blacked out.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

We have excellent star gazing from the moon deck of our boat. We've also seen satellites and the space lab. A few of us including a retired AF pilot believe we've seen a ufo. My pilot buddy wont discuss it. He still trains pilots and the AF doesn't like it's pilots to appear crazy.

The moonrise over the water is spectacular. There are glows in 3 different directions from 2 cities and a town.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Lucky folks! It is one of the sad things about life here in the inner city is hardly seeing stars...

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

Reminds me of our old summerhouse in Upstate NY. It's on a large lake and at night we would all sit outside looking at the stars. There is no light pollution and it's usually amazingly clear at night.

Can't do that much where I'm at. Too much light pollution.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

The nights begin to run on so long this time of year. (Especially when your home is at 48° North ;) )

I live where the humidity may be very low. The night sky can just be ablaze with stars and planets!

If the sun wasn't shining brightly this morning, I am sure that I would see the neighbor's sodium light, lit up. I know that I can see the front door lights of 3 houses across the road but, I trust, those are cfl lights. All of these will be on 24 hours each day. It has been years since I've seen the photo-cell turn that sodium vapor light off over the south fence . . :roll: .

Despite low humidity, we often experience air inversions during the winter. I can literally cry from one side of the medium-size city of Spokane to the other side on many winter evenings. The air used to choke me when wood & coal were more common fuels. Now, it just brings tears :oops: .

Steve

john gault
Green Thumb

Great star gazing out in the middle of the ocean.

Trevor
Cool Member

I live in a residential area, but it's not a city. Just so happens my town is the shopping centre of the region, so the surrounding 4-5 towns come here to shop. Less than a mile from my house are the typical big stores; ShopRite, Walmart, gas stations, a strip mall. All those people mean lots of lights, and lots of light pollution. Besides, NYC is just 50 miles SE and that does effect us.
https://www.jshine.net/astronomy/dark_sky/ Using this, you can find out how dark your skies really are. I'm in orange, so I can't see much. My grandparents live barely 10-15 miles north(yellow), but the skies there are a lot clearer. It's much more rural and little LP. The stars are amazing.
At my house, I can barely make out cassiopeia this time of year. But I can still see large bodies, like Jupiter all year around.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I missed the eclipse of the moon because of air pollution.

Casting a shadow, Trevor? Yes, it is a little remarkable when the DarkSide of the Earth looks like that and this:

https://vimeo.com/michaelkoenig/earth-timelapse-iss

Steve

Trevor
Cool Member

digitS' wrote:I missed the eclipse of the moon because of air pollution.

Casting a shadow, Trevor? Yes, it is a little remarkable when the DarkSide of the Earth looks like that and this:

https://vimeo.com/michaelkoenig/earth-timelapse-iss

Steve
Isn't that amazing? The first time I saw that video I was amazed that that's how our cities look. I had not idea. But that wonderfully pitch black spot in Florida, my cousin lives there- it a stunningly, natural, agirculture paradise.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

It is almost as tho' there are vast, vast areas of the Earth's surface that are burning!

Steve

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I used to live on the east coast near Boston, the east coast is one big light.

john gault
Green Thumb

tomf wrote:I used to live on the east coast near Boston, the east coast is one big light.
Most of my career I was stationed on the east coast and it is very bright. You gotta get pretty far out before you stop seeing that glare in the sky.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Next?

[img]https://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h22/Digit_007/Just%204%20Fun/floatingcity2.jpg[/img]

digitS'

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”