Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Whats in your bowl for breakfast the most important meal?

Years ago I always ate mothers oats. I never drank coffee but as a high school kid I did dip toast in it then dumped it out! Seldom do I eat eggs or bread for breakfast! I guess mini wheats ae my favorte now with Life and honey bunches 2nd and third! I always eat a bananna for breakfast. Milk I usually get 2 % acidopholus . I do like eggs but prefer something quick and lless messy! I lso like cream of rice cereal with butter and sugar!
Last edited by Bobberman on Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lorax
Greener Thumb

A bowl containing about 2 lbs of chopped fresh fruit, topped with active-culture vanilla yogurt and homemade granola.

Yummmm.

DeborahL
Green Thumb

I always have a cold Coke for breakfast. Food just isn't going to happen in the morning.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

DeborahL wrote:I always have a cold Coke for breakfast. Food just isn't going to happen in the morning.
The caffeine hook! I drink some ice green tea after I eat breakfast! Most people drink coffee and maybe a donut.
+++
This morning I had the Amish here to do my roof. I was getting up a 7"30 but the phone rings a 7"15 and the Amish guy says I am out side already! I jumped up and went out. I I was not raining and was not supose to so I told them the weather said no rain till later. Just as I said that it started to rain. I got the two man and yopung boy a dozen donuts and coffee and to my surprize they ate the whole dozen. They are noted to be big eaters! They had to leave and drive 50 miles home till next week! Rained all day and will for two more days!

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

DeborahL wrote:I always have a cold Coke for breakfast. Food just isn't going to happen in the morning.
Agreed on the food part. But I drink pretty good coffee given to me by one of my neighbors. She's some kind of representative for a coffee company and I get the expensive left over coffee samples. :D

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Sometimes red beans and rice, sometimes chicken/sausage/okra gumbo, other times leftover pizza from the night before. My wife just shakes her head.

I'm not a conventional breakfast eater but on weekends I'll cook breakfast for the wife and I. We do enjoy some bacon or sausage with eggs and some grits or hash browns with a few cups of hot coffee and wheat toast. We'll make this more of a brunch type meal and not eat another meal until dinner, maybe a snack in mid afternoon to hold us till then.

Every once in a while I"ll eat a bowl of cereal, usually mini wheats or some Rice Chex with sliced banana and milk.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm not really a food in the morning person either, but I read more and more about how important it is to get your body/ metabolism etc going in the AM with some food. So I dump a banana, some (chocolate flavored) protein powder, and some soy milk in the blender, make a smoothie and drink it down. It's much easier for me to face drinking something in the AM than eating.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Cottage cheese, chopped walnuts, sunflower seeds and a sprinkle of goldfish is my usual breakfast after 6 miles on the treadmill on a 15 degree incline. The gold fish aren't exactly low salt or low fat but I only put about 10 in the mix for flavor. The rest is all high protein. Cottage cheese is a good late night snack because it releases protein slowly into your system overnight.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

90% of the time it's potatoes, fried. either in little cubes or as hash browns. sometimes with eggs, sometimes without. tea.

Trevor
Cool Member

I'm an eggs and toast or a cereal person. This morning- Strawberry oat clusters. :)

Runningtrails

Eggs! Just about every day, or toast with homemade bean and rice bread, so a complete protein. Without protein for breakfast, most people slump by late afternoon. It's important!

I like a bowl of cooked oatmeal (not instant) with apples and cinnamon and real butter and real cream and a tiny bit of brown sugar. I cook this with beaten eggs in it. Makes it fluffier and adds the protein.

ButterflyGarden

My breakfast is fairly ethnic. I have an omelet sandwich and Israeli salad (cucumbers, tomatoes, and onions). I used to have some fresh cheeses with it but my baby is allergic to milk.

DeborahL
Green Thumb

Lorax, TWO POUNDS???
Butterfly, what kind of bread for the omelet? Pita?

lorax
Greener Thumb

Yes, two pounds. It's easy to do when fruit is as widely available as it is in this country. The general composition is: pineapple (white if possible), papaya (red if possible), mango (in season, Julie or Reina if possible), strawberry, grapes, banana, uvilla, and other seasonal fruits.

DeborahL
Green Thumb

What's uvilla?
I've never seen a white pineapple.

ButterflyGarden

Either pita, bagget, or gapetta. One of the really nice things about living here is that we get dairy products within a day or so from production and bread from the bakeries within hours (no preservatives). You wouldn't believe what a difference it makes. All our produce also comes within a day or two (at most) of being picked.

lorax
Greener Thumb

DeborahL wrote:What's uvilla?
I've never seen a white pineapple.
I think that they're called Cape Gooseberries in English. They look kind of like yellow tomatillos, but smaller.

I'm not surprised either about the white pineapple - they're easily bruised, so they don't get exported too much. All the more for me! White pineapple is a bit sweeter and less acidic than gold, and there's generally almost no woody core either.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I may try the oatmeal with a egg added. I always add a egg to my chicken noodle soup!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Think local, buy local
Eric
Last edited by DoubleDogFarm on Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dixana
Greener Thumb

lately I've been having eggs with onions and cheese scrambled together and maybe some wheat toast and coffee ... but considering I've gained 10 pounds a month since my daughter was born I think I need to go back to my healthy breakfast. I mix some frozen berries, greek yogurt, a scoop of whey protein powder (vanilla), and enough milk to make it a smoothie.add a piece of whole grain toast and you have a healthy complete breakfast. even healthier if you add some chia seeds to the smoothie as it keeps you fuller longer. Too bad we live in the boonies and no longer have easy access to most of those things.

DeborahL
Green Thumb

These health-minded posts are getting me right in the Guilt Department !
At this very moment I'm having BBQ chips with my Coke. :oops:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Food police are going to come and get you!! :) :)

DeborahL
Green Thumb

Good lookin' and single, I hope? :lol:

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Me bad - I need to stop wasting my time.
Last edited by DoubleDogFarm on Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DeborahL
Green Thumb

Thanks, Lorax.
I think Cape Gooseberries are ground cherries?
I wish we could get some white pineapple here, it sounds wonderful.
When I tasted my first fresh pineapple, even though it was from a store, that was the end of canned pineapple for me. What a feast ! I ate the whole pineapple in one morning.

DeborahL
Green Thumb

Gotta be a guy ! :D

lorax
Greener Thumb

DeborahL wrote:Thanks, Lorax.
I think Cape Gooseberries are ground cherries?
I wish we could get some white pineapple here, it sounds wonderful.
When I tasted my first fresh pineapple, even though it was from a store, that was the end of canned pineapple for me. What a feast ! I ate the whole pineapple in one morning.
Similar, I think - both are Physalis. Uvillas are far sweeter, though, than most ground cherries I've tried.

I'm also spoiled absolutely rotten living where I do, because it means that the 2lb bowl of breakfast fruit costs me about $1.50 once I add up all the fruits. I bought 4 pineapples for a dollar on Monday. :()

lily51
Greener Thumb

All these posts are making me hungry! mY whole life my mainstay has been Cheerios & milk , now with fruit. Sometimes oatmeal. The exception is Fridays when my husband & I take our three schoolave grandiose out to breakfast at the local diner. Score school; then it's eggs or pancakes or omelet.

DeborahL
Green Thumb

FOUR pineapples for a dollar??? The white ones? I never was much of a fan of pineapple until I decided to try a fresh one. Now, I even prefer it for making my favorite cake, pineapple upside down cake.
Goodbye canned !

lorax
Greener Thumb

Yup, four white pineapples for a dollar - they're cheaper than golds here, actually, because the locals consider them to be inferior (they're soooo wrong! :shock: :shock: :shock: ) Golds are typically 2-3 for a dollar, for nice-sized fruits. Both types of pineapple are actually on the expensive end, because we're in volcanic eruption of Tungurahua here at the moment (yet again). This means that less produce comes through the danger zone, and what does come is more costly.

I watched my favourite baby bananas go from 25-50 cents for a hand of about 20 to $1 for the same amount in the space of one week! I'll also see corn, potatoes, and other dinner staples go up as the crops are wiped out by the ash. I'm worried for my friends closer to the volcano - some towns are being evacuated because this eruption is more severe than the ones we've had in the previous year or two.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

With a bad cough for 10 days now when I get up in the morning I have been eating hot cereal! I usually eat cold cereal with a banana but now its mother oats with a mix of things. I add a half banana brown sugar cinnamon, butter and honey. What else can I add? Of course whole milk no 2 percent for me! I put this post up in 2011 and searched for breakfast and found that it was on my mind 2 years ago. Search before you post and you may be surprised how many topics were covered in the past! What do you eat in this cold weather?
Last edited by Bobberman on Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Since nothing much is going on in this weather, I had time to make a nice breakfast: veggie omelet (with onions, mushrooms, bell peppers, carrots, tomatoes) and a fruit salad (blueberries, strawberries, bananas) with sour cream/cream cheese dressing. Very nice but unfortunately none from the garden and mostly all imported except the locally grown, organic cage free eggs from our friendly local egg lady.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

!potatoes! wrote:90% of the time it's potatoes, fried. either in little cubes or as hash browns. sometimes with eggs, sometimes without. tea.
Thus your name and avatar photo/

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Most days fruit, and or cereal with fruit, like home grown blue berries. I am thinking of making a vegetable fritter, it is a kind of omelet today. and some hash browns. This topic got me hungry.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I did an experiment this morning. I grated up zucchini, carrots, onions and cheese, mixed them in a bowl and added some minced garlic. To this mix I added eggs and mixed them all together, I just did it by feel so if you want to try this I don't have exact proportions for you. I used a large spoon to drop them like dollar pancakes into a non- stick pan. You want to let them get nice and brown on the bottom before flipping them over. I served them with salsa and sour cream, they turned out tasty and full of vegetables.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Almost every morning I have a green smoothie consisting of a good handful or two of kale or spinach, 1 banana, 1 apple, a chunk of ginger, chunk of turmeric, a squirt of hemp/flax/coconut oil, 1 beet (if I have it), tiny handful of walnuts or almonds, a little powdered probiotics, a few drops of liquid stevia, and a cup of frozen fruit which could be strawberries, cherries, blueberries, peach etc. Sometimes I may even add a spoonful of raw cacao powder.

If I am not drinking this I eat a bowl of granola cereal I buy in bulk with almond milk.

Sometimes I'll pop out my juicer and make juice and have nothing but that for breakfast. It is very filling and nutritious. Some of my favorite juice combos are:

Carrots-gold beets- apples- ginger
Kale-cucumbers-celery-lemon-ginger-apple
cherry- red beet- ginger- pomegranate (expensive to juice, very potent though)
Pineapple-pears-ginger
Oranges-carrots

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

tomf - congratulations, you just invented frittata! :)

imafan26
Mod

I have bacon and one egg a couple of times a week only. I used to eat it every day but my cholesterol went up so I have cut back a lot. On cold days I like oatmeal or cup of noodles. I don't drink the broth, it is too salty. About three times a week I eat fruit usually what I have around which right now are papaya but sometimes banana or avocados. Cold cereals are rare, I don't always have milk around. Once in a great while I'll have pancakes. My drink of choice is diet cola or crystal light. I like my caffeine cold.

On the days when I know I will be out of the house for a long while, I will eat my dinner leftovers with rice or potatoes and have a reverse day if I eat lunch late enough, I won't need dinner or I will eat cereal or yogurt later instead.

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Frittata????????????????????????????????????????/

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Italian version of an omelet, in which veggies (and perhaps other ingredients) are incorporated with the eggs and fried with them (not added later in the process as in French omelets). It is not folded over, just cooked through and perhaps flipped over whole. It is probably more browned than a traditional omelet.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”