Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

Walked into this guys web last night

I was letting the dog out last night and I walked right into this spiders web. It's about the size of a baseball. Brutally loud high pitched screams from me, (a 29 yr. old dude), soon followed for about 5 minutes. I made sure it wasn't on me and then I noticed the evil looking face it has on it.

[img]https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v700/obiadia/spider2.jpg[/img]

applestar
Mod

:lol: Love your description :lol:

I realize it's the belly side, but it does a fair imitation of Skeletor doesn't it?
Around here, folks put up FAKE spider webs on their porch.... :wink:

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

Do you know what spider he/she is?
Not sure. All I know is that they only come out at night and make webs between trees and sometimes house to house. Went out again tonight and it wasn't there. There were smaller ones of the same species though, this time they were in and around the garden......I take it that's a good thing.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Possibly a [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_spider]wolf spider[/url]? They're active out here right now, fairly large, and fast workers w/regard to making their webs.

I walked into a wolf spider's web unawares the other day while taking Vesta outdoors to "go potty." But the spider seemed unfazed and (anthropomorphizing here) just rolled its many eyes and started spinning again.

They're wonderful against houseflies (outdoors!) and other obnoxious insects; I've seen said obnoxious insects caught in the webs. :twisted:

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Reminds me of my hunting days in the woods in SE Louisiana. I can't tell you how many times I've been in the woods trying to watch the ground where I'm going to step to be as quiet as I can be. Then feel the all too familiar tug of a large spider wed as it encases my face, look up and come nose to legs with a spider the size of saucers. So much for being quiet as the "Oh s-it" flows from my mouth in such a volume that anything in a quarter mile radius is aware of my presence.

The only redeeming thing is, once my heart rate came back to normal, was actually looking at the spiders. They are so varied in colors and body types that I sometimes wished I had a camera instead of a gun.

Fig3825

When I was much younger (in my 20's) and in a pattern of bad decisions (alcohol and some mild drug use), me and about 8 friends went to my dad's lake house for a weekend. We decided to go camp the night on one of the islands in the lake (they are quite small, maybe 100' across) but heavily wooded. Anyway, most of these little islands were visited by folks with the same idea we had so there was a pseudo camp area that was sufficient for our needs. Late at night, hopped up on booze and other things, we'd take a 'walk about' around the island. I will never forget totally losing it whilst walking through these small wooded areas and running into spider webs in the dark. I remember at one point I ran into one and halted the line of followers, turned on the flashlight, looked immediately around us and realizing we were surrounded by 100's of spiders and webs between every tree in the woods. Everyone freaked out and started screaming. Total panic and chaos ensued...

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”