pepper4
Green Thumb

Christmas in Sept?

I love Christmas but every year it seems it is getting promoted or advertised earlier and earlier and thats the part I don't like. It was the 3rd week of Sept I noticed the shelves were getting stocked with lights, gift wrap and all sorts of Christmas decorations. Lay aways were starting special for Christmas and even saw some people in area with outside Christmas lights if you can believe it. I was thinking I am still picking veggies, enjoying the decent weather and trying to find charcoal to grill. What happened to Halloween and Thanksgiving? I havent even really started thinking about that yet. Has anyone out there noticed this or is it just me? :cry:

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

:( No it's not just you. Everyone is noticing, and the stores are totally spoiling christmas, as far as I am concerned anyway.

I'm dating myself here, but christmas didn't use to start until December. That seems a long time ago!!!!

They are also wrecking Thanksgiving and Halloween too, IMO anyway. Why can't they just leave well enough alone????

As far as Christmas layaways, that I don't mind, but NOT all the decoration's and lights up, and ON. It's become ridiculous!!!! :(

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Ebenezer Scrooge said he would keep Christmas in his heart the year round. I try to live up to that but I still don't Griswold up the house and boat until the weekend after Thanksgiving.

Last year's dock Christmas party. All my celebrity friends came.

Haloed be thy boat

[/img][img]https://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd5/charliemv/chrismas%20Boat/anotherboat002-1-1.jpg[/img]

AAAARRRGGHHH! Polly want some mistletoe.

Snow in South Carolina. It doesn't happen often.
[/img][img]https://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd5/charliemv/026.jpg[/img]

I buy more lights each year. We have to use a neighbor's power plug for all the lights on the boat.
Last edited by Charlie MV on Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Nothing different in my area of the world. I'm still wearing shorts, t-shirts and flip-flops with our mid 80 degree weather and the stores are chock full of Christmas stuff. Truth is, they've had their Christmas stuff out since mid September around here. I find it ridiculous that all those decorations are out well before Halloween, much less the Thanksgiving holidays.

I went to Lowe's last week looking for some of those molded plastic patio chairs since I was having 40+ people at my house and only had about 20 chairs on hand. I asked the person in gardening about availability and he said they were no longer available and won't have any till spring. I mentioned how "spring-like" the weather has been, and will continue to be for at least another month or more as I looked upon aisles and aisles of Christmas stuff. I did manage to find them at K-mart, discounted for the fall clearance at $6 each.

JimmyTheGlove
Newly Registered

The worst part about Christmas showing up in the early weeks of September is the non stop Christmas music! The radio starts playing Christmas music right after Halloween! Some stations start BEFORE Halloween! I say, no Christmas until after Thanksgiving people!

I can hardly stand the Christmas music during the Christmas season.

cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

I love Christmas, but I also love Halloween, and Thanksgiving and would like to properly celebrate those before Christmas comes to the stores! I went to go buy some Halloween candy and other such festive things and they were taking down the Halloween isles to put up Christmas decorations!!
I was so frustrated I asked them what the @*#^& was going on! They said they were informed by corporate they needed to change it. :evil:
So frustrating. I like all my holidays, but let me celebrate one before the next one comes a knocking!

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Hmm. Maybe some of you missed the opportunity to post on our [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39952]other[/url] "Christmas is way too over-commercialized/celebrated too early" thread. It isn't locked! :wink:

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9
and...it hasn't even been Halloween yet at *my* house

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Charlie you need to add more lights as they can not see your house from space.

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

CharlieMV, The lights do look lovely. Congrats on a great job of decorating. :) At least you don't get too carried away, too early!!!!

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Marlingardener wrote:Our local PBS television station had a Christmas special on last night. On Oct. 17th they had a Christmas program! Honest to Pete, if you can't trust PBS, who can you trust
Of course, they were hawking for donations and probably thought getting viewers in the holiday spirit would make them cough up some money.
It may have rebounded on them when the viewers coughed up...something else in the privacy of their own homes. :wink: :lol: :twisted:

Cynthia

tomf
Super Green Thumb

There is a street where they put up so many lights that the power company had to build a new power plant just for them. :P :lol:

DeborahL
Green Thumb

Pre-Christmas Christmas makes me think of how when I was a kid, the yearly TV airing of "The Wizard of Oz" was a very big deal and much anticipated.
Now that it's on once in a awhile and available on DVD the thrill is gone.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”