tomf
Super Green Thumb

My crazy cat chased a deer today!

My cat is an indoor cat and we let her out under watch. She saw a deer eating in the yard and started to stalk it. The deer looked at her as if to say "what the H"; I had to chase the deer off so it would not stomp my dumb cat.
I went in to get a drink and was gone a very short time, when I came out the cat was chasing another deer around the yard and the deer was running away. Is this crazy or what?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Too funny! But certainly dangerous for kitty, too! :(

I once saw a deer in a parking lot kick a big dog and send it flying over a couple of cars. :shock:

I got the stuffing kicked out of me by an injured doe one day. Fortunately, I had sense enough to wear a heavy winter coat, even though it was summer. I can personally attest that those little hooves are no joke. :shock:

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Kisal, I would not mess with one if they did not run away.

I know that some of you reading that a cat chased a deer must be skeptical about it; if I had not seen it I would be. As unbelievable as it is, this is true not a joke and not made up the deer was running away from the cat. My cat is not the smartest cat I have had. She has gone after rabbits and a raccoon in the past all bigger than her, I do not think she know how small she is.

This is what they are after. I had to cut down some Aspin trees and it must be like candy as they can not stay away from it.

[img]https://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e57/twistedtomf/deer/_DSC0006-1.jpg[/img]

thanrose
Greener Thumb

Ah, I wondered if that was the aspen the deer were browsing in the other thread of pics!

Totally believe a cat going after large prey. Kinda the Napoleon Complex. Chihuahuas do it, too. Some cats seem like they really know they are playing with fire, but confident of their ability to provoke and then escape.

My 90# coonhound cross was at the back steps one night when a possum scurried past the garden. The coonhound, yeah, the coon-hound brave-hunter defender-of-the-hearth kinda dog, looked mournfully up at me as if to say, "Didja get a load of the size of that thing?!" While my Maine coon cat cross streaked out behind me to check it out. Some cursing ensued, but I knew the possum was already safe under the fence.

Admittedly, my animals all knew that I occasionally nursed some prey animal that was off limits to them. So maybe my coonhound was really saying, "You know it's your fault that possum is so well fed. I ain't getting into that." Her enunciation was always a bit poor. I think I had a grand total of two oppossum overnight, and a couple of fainters that I guarded until they regained their composure.

thanrose
Greener Thumb

Marlingardener wrote:I admire a cat with ambition! I do hope she gets over her deer chasing. As stated, deer can be very dangerous. I am always amazed at the people who send small children out to "feed Bambi".
Bambi, heck, every time I see toddlers feeding squirrels or pigeons I think the parents are nuts.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

my cat sometimes chased the neighbor's german shepherd when I was young; I believe the deer story for sure.

Odd Duck

As a veterinarian, I can honestly tell you that I would rather see a cranky, 100 pound dog than a cranky, full claws, 10 pound cat. The dog is far easier to deal with than a cat bent on killing you. And I have absolutely no trouble believing the deer story. I grew up with a cat that would take on any dog, any time, any day. The only time I saw her get chased up a tree, I think she was just aiming for height to come down on top of the dog! The dog was the one that ended with his tail between his legs running for home.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”