webmaster
Site Admin

Watch Men. Visually the movie was a treat to look at but each and every moment was over dramatized and made to feel as if something important was happening. So a guy would light a cigarette but the camera angles and music would underline the event with a seriousness suggesting the cigarette had just discovered it's father was Darth Vader. Monumentally boring.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

The last movie I saw in a theater was last year about this time while my wife and I were in Florida. For some ungodly reason she wanted to go see a movie instead of being at the beach near the condo we had for a week. I let her pick out the movie and we saw Iron Man II. I pretty much caught up on my rest during that one since I'm not a big fan of gadgetry and the over the top special effects or Robert Downey Jr.

It has gotten very hard for 2 people to go to an afternoon matinee and not spend $30 or more. Tickets are running $8 and up each and don't get me thinking about the concession stand pricing. All I can say is "There's gold in popcorn for what they're charging".

We now just rent movies via the cable network with HD and new releases being the ones we generally view, all for $4.95 and a 24 hr. window to view it. I'm in the comfort of my own home, a lemonade and a box of popcorn is not going to cost me $7 and I can pause it to run to the----------well, you know.

webmaster
Site Admin

Netflix has a rental plan that starts at $9.99 per month for one DVD at a time rental plus unlimited streaming of thousands of videos. Not the newest releases, though. But there are enough movies, TV shows, documentaries and whatnot to keep me happy I don't pay through the nose for cable.

I'm also exploring Amazon Prime. Amazon Prime you pay one fee ($80?) and you get free two day shipping plus access to free streaming videos of various tv shows and movies. The selection is not as wide as Netflix, but they have a few things I'm liking plus the free two day shipping on products.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Netflix shipping depends on how close you are to the distributor I guess. If we mail in on Monday we have the next movie Wednesday.

Iron Man was one of the best movies we've seen in a while and Iron Man 2 was among the worst.

Worst movies we've seen on Netflix. These are the movies that would have made me demand my money back had I paid a theater to see them.

Stone
Salt
Tron Legacy
Beowulf
Inception
The American
Shutter Island

There are a few more really bad ones that I'm too embarrassed to admit I watched [Smokin Aces 2]

The best movie we've seen lately was Burlesque.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I'm a big fan of grade-B movies, especially monster movies and movies made in the '70s. Very hokey and laughable. Netflix has a reasonably good collection of both genres. I find them absolutely hilarious. A bowl of buttered popcorn and a good grade-B movie is perfect entertainment for me on a cold, wet Oregon day. :D

Recently, I've been watching a TV series on Netflix ... might be British TV ... called Bramwell, about a woman doctor in London, during the second half of the 1800s. I really enjoy the designs of the clothing. I have a wonderful book that my son gave me long ago called (I think, since I don't have it handy to look at) 2000 years of Fashion History. Anyone who works with fabrics or pelts and hides would greatly enjoy the book. Anyway, the photos in the book bear out that the clothing designs used in this TV show are very accurate. I used to do a lot of sewing, so I really enjoy learning about clothing fashions from earlier periods in history. :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm so glad to hear someone say they hated Forrest Gump. When it came out it was so popular and everyone was acting like they loved it. Made me a little crazy, since I thought it was totally stupid!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Anything with Jean Claude Van Damme or Stephen Seagal...

lorax
Greener Thumb

Oh, come on. Van Dammage isn't so bad, you just have to switch off your brain for a while and enjoy the explosions. Same goes for Seagal, but only the earlier films. Anything from Glimmer Man onwards is just cringeworthy.

You want really bad movies? Try these: Hell Ride, Big Momma's House, Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls, Norbit. Those are but a few!

Oh yeah, and Forrest Gump, Castaway, and Titanic. Yugh.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

oh come on, Castaway? I love Wilson the volleyball. One of the saddest movie scenes ever is when he loses Wilson... (I do understand what is wrong with the movie, but Wilson almost redeems it.)

tomf
Super Green Thumb

What one person likes someone else hates. Some times it is just the mood your in when you see a film. I must admit that there are some movies that are so bad that almost every one would say that they are bad.
Many movies are so unreal in the action and the plot as to insult one's intelligence but I watch most movies to be entertained not to be an intellectual.
I am with Kisal on the B monster movies; love them. :oops:
I even know people who do not like chocolate. :roll:

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

I love "B" movies or lower: the ones that are supposed to be serious but are infact comedies. Such as

The Core--DH and I saw that in the theatre and were the only ones there. It was great! We watch it whenever it's on tv. Great popcorn movie.

D-Wars (Dragon Wars)--I think this was made for SyFy channel. It's a no-brainer with good special effects and just enough camp. Love it.

Lost City Raiders--another SyFy channel masterpiece. This is on very rarely but is worth seeking out.

Into The Blue--a sunken treasure action flick that really delivers. Plus Jessica Alba swimming (or paul walker for that matter) are easy on the eyes. This was a way better flick than the awful Fool's Gold.

Anyway, back on topic. The Worst Movies I've Seen Lately are:

Salt--hated it! Was more action for action's sake and didn't work

Tron: Legacy--so much build up and was so durned boring! Plus the 3d effect was totally lost when you have black costumes on a black background with no depth of field.

Hoodwinked 2--my DH made me go to this but it was shallow and dumb, not like the clever comedy of the first one.

Fool's Gold--I know this is older, but I only just saw it on DVD. Not worth it!

I second getting Netflix if you really like watching movies. We had it for a long time until we cancelled--there just weren't any good movies coming out and with the new 28 day wait for new films it just wasn't worth it anymore. Now we get movies from the library (we're blessed with a great inter-library network and can get just about anything within a week) and watching movies on tv (which we actually love because they edit out all the language).

dirtyfingers
Cool Member

Wow, tough crowd! I actually liked Forrest Gump. :shock:

I have tried to watch Blazing Saddles three times. The first time I walked out of the theater when it first showed. The second time it was a second feature at a cheap theater and walked out on it again. The third time was on DVD. I popped it out after a few minutes. I guess you have to have an attention span of a fly to watch the whole movie.

I did sit through the movie Ishstar hoping there was going to be some kind of good story line. Wrong.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”