Runningtrails

I collect it all week in a bucket with a lid. On trash pick up day, after collecting all the trash, I pour the bucket into the top bag on top of everything and tie it up. When I put the large container at the road the cat litter is in the bag on top, so I don't get varmits and birds tearing open the bags and spreading it around. I live in the country so this is a problem. The cat litter right on top seems to deter them.

I have also poured it into groundhog holes.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The clay litter is mineral and does NOT compost, turns into a slimy clay mess.

Any organic litter such as the Swheat Scoop, paper based litters, corn cob litter, etc, can be composted, once you scoop the solids out.

TammyGCC
Newly Registered

I would say ice. You live in New Orleans so I don't think you Have an Ice problem. It works good on the drive way.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

TammyGCC wrote:I would say ice. You live in New Orleans so I don't think you Have an Ice problem. It works good on the drive way.

The only ice problem we have here in N.O. is having enough on hand during the summer gatherings of friends and family. I'd not want to live in an area that is so cold that ice forms on roads for months at a time. Idiots down here would kill themselves driving in such conditions-----me included.

nk

You can use it in place of peat moss when you're overwintering tubers etc.

Boomslang
Cool Member

I usually save all the old cat litter in a bag until I can catch my mother in law gone (she lives next door). Then I go over and pull her underpinning back and dump it under her trailer. :)

TornadoKnight
Newly Registered

I'm in the same boat as your guys/gals. I wondered if we could use our old/used kitty litter instead of throwing it away.

One thing iv'e been experimenting with it's use is to pour it into areas that are eroding around our front & back yard. We have a couple areas in our front lawn by the driveway that appear to be sinking and there is a slight hole forming against the driveway edge. So I have been pouring the de-pooped k litter into it. Also, the last summer was pretty darn dry. So the ground has receeded away from the driveway & sidewalks. So iv'e been pouring it into the deep openings.

Hopefully these ideas might help others. :mrgreen:

Thanks, :)
Matt

imafan26
Mod

I have another use, I found out accidentally. But not for used litter, but for unused litter. Keep the pan in the closet and it will absorb moisture and help to keep mildew off the clothes and walls. It doesn't pull as much moisture as the commercial product, but it works.

I still throw my used litter in the trash. Pet poop from dogs and cats are not recommended for the garden because they can be carriers of disease.

I did try to toilet train my cats. There is this fake toilet ring with plastic and you have to shape the behavior. It is easier to do with a younger cat, however if the cat falls in the toilet, they will never attempt it again.
My friend was able to train his kitten, but I was unsuccessful with mine.

I have trained my cats to use newspaper instead. It is cheaper and a lot lighter to throw away. The trick is that it does have to be cleaned out more often. I have done whole sheets and layered them up to 5 times a day and I have tried shredded. Layering helps with a sprinkling of cat litter for training. However, the newspaper pellets that one company sold as a litter substitute was refused by the cats, they do not like the texture.

weterman

Sprinkle yourself with it. Good perfume.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”