Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

cows and calves

We live in horse and cattle country. Other than eating beef we don't know much about cattle. We pass a sizable cattle farm twice a week. This rancher was blessed with a good bull and fertile cows this year. Of the hundreds of cows we see in his field, nearly every one has calves.

We noticed one cow laying separate fro the rest who had 3 calves laying beside her. Do cows have multiple births? My wife said they only have one at a time. As usual, I don't have a clue.

thanrose
Greener Thumb

Hahaha, marlingardener, I was gonna suggest that it was a teenage babysitter with the younguns. Wondered if she was chomping gum and wearing cheap lipstick... Good to know it could have been a communal effort and not just one very tired cow.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

MG, does that mean they only have one at a time?

They look very sweet and contented. I love seeing a field full of cattle and cattle egrets. I'm a long time birder and the combination is very pleasing.

My cousin is a cattle farmer in Arkansas. He says they are \sweet but hard headed and stupid. He says if they escape through a gate or hole in the fence they don't understand the concept of going back in the same way they came out.

lily51
Greener Thumb

A comment on barnyard brains:
pigs---smartest. they only have to go through a gate once and they know
where it is forever, which can be a problem with escapees.
cattle--steers know where the gate is, they just don't always want to
cooperate, but usually do if food is being served.
sheep---seriously dumb. these are the ones that don't know how
to get back in a gate no matter how many times they've been
in and out, even when it's open.

We've raised all on our farm and have frustrating stories to back up each! :D (but not funny at the time.)

applestar
Mod

I guess it's good thing Ben Franklin didn't get his way....

lily51
Greener Thumb

Agree on the turkeys,even though what i know is through others' stories. :lol:

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

MG, have you ever tried this?

[img][img]https://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd5/charliemv/e0d801a0-4a9d-4d67-8761-cbffc9bc71de.jpg[/img][/img]

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Marlingardener wrote:No, but I rode a bull once. My husband was horrified, but the bull didn't seem to mind. Did you know thehair on the hump on a Brahma bull feels just like steel wool?
No but I stalk and shoot the local squirrels with a super soaker when I can get close enough. They cut a back flip if you get close enough to make the stream fork up their little satanic noses.

Odd Duck

applestar wrote:I guess it's good thing Ben Franklin didn't get his way....
I think domestic turkeys are pretty dumb, but wild turkeys are wily and wary and are known to watch hunters from cover, then wait until they leave to check out the area.

Odd Duck

Charlie MV wrote:MG, have you ever tried this?

[img][img]https://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd5/charliemv/e0d801a0-4a9d-4d67-8761-cbffc9bc71de.jpg[/img][/img]
That's pretty funny! How bored are you to decide to train a bovine to saddle and then to jump!

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

The back story in a nutshell is this. A girl in Germany wanted to ride horses and to particularly get involved in jumping. Her mom in no uncertain terms said nope. So she taught the cow to let her ride and how to jump. The article said it took a lot of treats and work but the picture is proof.

My favorite cow riding story was old drunk Otis on the Andy Griffith show. Barney took his keys away and Otis took to riding a cow around Mayberry.

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Charlie MV---Wasn't that a funny episode!!! LOL! That cow was very gentle, an old gurnsey dairy cow. I REALLY have to give that girl credit for training that heifer to do all the things it does for her. That really is desperation for a horse.........We too have raised cattle, sheep, goats, and miniature horses, oh and chickens and turkeys, rabbits and ducks and guinea fowl! OMG!!! That's a lot of things over the years, but the stupidest were the turkeys!......They would sit out in the rain and get a chill and die, fly into their turkey house door, and kill themselves when you let them out. Just went on! One thing we did learn though was that guinea fowl, under duress, can swim!!! We were trying to catch a mother and her 2 day old chicks and she was up on the bank of our pond and we thought for sure we had her, when she took off and flew, we watched and both said, well that's the end of her, as it was 100 feet wide, but about half way through, she coludn't fly anymore so just settled down in the water and swam! You should have seen our faces! Was kind of funny actually. Some livestock escapes on the other hand were not!! Maybe years later, but at the time a whole different story. Lots of great memories I guess????

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Green Mantis, episode? I read it in the paper. Please tell me what show. I'd love to watch it.

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

CharlieMV.......It was on you tube and on the news. :wink: To train a heifer like that, was really hard work, apparently now the parents are thinking about letting her get a horse, also on the news.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Well if a kid ever deserved a horse, this one is it.

I got chickadees to eat out of my hand years ago. I don't have that kind of patience now or maybe it's just that my priorities have changed since I quit drinking. :shock:

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”