tomf
Super Green Thumb

A movie location scout came by my place, may film here.

A major motion picture studio is planning on shooting some footage at the park down the street from me as it has some old growth Dugfir. I posted some photos of it before here; it is where the suspention foot bridge is.
A location scout came down my road yesterday and photographed it. He said it may be what they want for part of the movie. If they decide to use it I will get paid and I think it would be fun to watch them film a movie as I love the tech side of movie making.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

They've shot many films in New Orleans over these past few years and I cannot believe the amount of equipment and people involved in a few seemingly simply scenes. There are literally a dozen or more large semi's with trailers loaded full of equipment, dozens of people and the required catering and police for traffic control.

It totally disrupts a neighborhood and I've seen instances where they film for 2-3 days and only use minutes of it in the actual movie. It's no wonder it costs $8-$10 a ticket at the theaters now.

thanrose
Greener Thumb

It is cool. Until you are directly impacted with it.

I lived in a quaint urban northeast neighborhood that had frequent film crews for movies and TV. While it brought revenue and interest to the 'hood, filming could also add a half hour to my walk to work because of detours. In the summer doldrums with high humidity, an actor's trailer was parked under my bedroom window for three freaking days. The drone and the exhaust of their AC and generator made my bedroom unlivable for the duration. My street was so narrow that a firetruck would drive on both sidewalks, yet the city thought it was fine for the RV to park there for 72 hours. Fire access be damned.

The entire crew will think you are star-happy and thrilled to be in their vicinity. They may destroy things that are important to you, but trivial to them. Dog's headstone in the way? Just toss it to the side. Only way in and out? Okay to block it without warning.

Just be forewarned and proactive. I was politically active back then, but didn't take any action because I naively thought the city and the film crews would eventually do the right thing with respect to the community. Ha. Demand that they get the heck off of your forsythia, or pay you for the birdbath they broke, and demand that they don't block your egress.

Enjoy it, but be aware that everyone down to the gofers will think you are irrelevant and annoying. Maybe you need to carry your chainsaw around? Just saying.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

They shoot movies like Leatherhead and The Patriot here. There is no need to change anything. SC is still the same as it was 200 years ago.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Tom,

It should be a Chainsaw Massacre movie. I saw the perfect crazy guy on an earlier post. :wink: :P Chainsaws , peavies, cable chokers, it's perfect.

Eric

applestar
Mod

Find out if they have a good caterer, and if they do, put it in the contract that you get to eat all you want! :lol:

... of the good stuff, mind you. :wink:

tomf
Super Green Thumb

We went out for lunch at a restaurant in a small town near here today. The restaurant has good food and fair prices, plus it over looks a lake so we like to go there. There was a table of about 8 people next to us talking about making movies. I asked if they were working on a film called “Goneâ€

lily51
Greener Thumb

Sounds like an adventure! Let us know all about it !

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I do not know what will happen yet, i will just wait.

KennyCouch

Awesome! I'm actually a film school dropout (on m to teaching middle school science now). I hope it turns out to be a great experience for you!

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Film school; sounds fun. I do some video work and I am part of the Indi film producers group in Oregon. I use Final Cut Pro and the production bundle from Adobe to edit and make effects. I also use 3d software to create CG effects. I have a green screen as well. So I would love to see all the cool toys they may have.

KennyCouch

Tomf, sounds like you've got some toys! Very cool, I was never able to get into the mindset of filming. Key Gripped on a few features, all indie and had a blast but wasn't willing to leave my family, friends or plants for days on end, lol. Still doing a lot of still photography and nature stuff. What do you do in your films mostly? Any interest in the camera side? If so, what do you guys shoot on over there?

PS I'll send you a pic of my c-stand hat rack, probably the coolest thing I ever got out of a set :)

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”