Susan W
Greener Thumb

Win the Lottery?

When you win the lottery, or the ship comes in, what might you do, especially relating to growing things? I figured I would have a sun room built off of one room. A simple patio/sun room is fairly easy, but with my existing house, roof, ground level etc gets complicated.
Have fun!
Susan

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Just Garden related-----Hmmmm, I would have a sunroom built too! That would be so nice. I probably would buy a different place where I could really garden, and have beautiful bird feeders, and bird houses built. Where we could watch them easily. I love bird watching. Plant all the kinds of flowers that attract birds and Butterfly's! I would love to try a greenhouse too. Not a huge one, just a good size to be able to look after it and enjoy putzing around in there! Have a phone hooked up in there too, I probably would be in there a lot!. Lol!-----Then go to plant shops that I normally wouldn't go to, because they are too expensive, and buy whatever looked like I could keep alive, Ha!---Wouldn't that be fun! :wink:

tedln
Super Green Thumb

A really large, climate controlled; greenhouse with a store room full of the containers, soils, and other supplies needed to plant and grow anything I want to grow.

Ted
I simply enjoy gardening!

lorax
Greener Thumb

300,000 hectares (741,316.14 acres) of virgin cloudforest, ranger stations, a wild-animal rescue center, and a center for the investigation of traditional medicinal plants.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

That is very noble of you Lorax; I hope you win. In a small way I am keeping a bit of wild life habitat.
Marlin a tractor is the best yard tool if you have a need, I have done so much work cleaning up my land, getting rid of invasive plants and gardening that I feel it has more than paid for it self.
I would get a solarium added to the house and a bigger green house.
I would make a bigger donation to The Nature Conservancy.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

lorax wrote:300,000 hectares (741,316.14 acres) of virgin cloudforest, ranger stations, a wild-animal rescue center, and a center for the investigation of traditional medicinal plants.
Lorax,

I would have thought the pharmaceutical industry would have evaluated the molecular and chemical properties of traditional medicinal plants in your area by now. They have botanical harvesters working all over the world gathering samples for evaluation. That is how Taxol was discovered in the California Yew tree. I remember a time when environmentalists were concerned about the over harvesting of the yew tree. Taxol has now been synthesized so the Yew tree is safe.

What kind of "wild animal" are you most interested in rescuing?

Ted

lorax
Greener Thumb

Ted, they still find new species of plants in the forests I'm talking about, at a rate of about 50-100 a year. The specific forest I've got my eye on is one of the IUCN's ten designated biodiversity hotspots worldwide. It contains the upper watershed of the Cordillera of the Llanganates, which provides the first source of fresh water for the Amazon river, among others.

Down here, only the 15 or 20 best known medicinals have been fully evaluated and synthesized - many of which were deemed too complex for synthesis, and their growth habits too restricted for mass production. The problem also arises that the same common name is often used for a variety of plants - the super-healing plant "Matico" being a prime example. The only thing that's agreed upon is that it's a member of the pepper family - beyond that, the name covers about 18 different species, across 4 genera. Entire large volumes have been published on the medicinal value of Ecuador's flora, but very little actual investigation has been done - the best one, "Plantas Utiles," is more a catalogue of first-hand knowledge from the curanderos and elders of various tribes.

I'm most interested in doing rehabilitation for poached animals - for example, monkeys, parrots and other birds, and the big cats (Jaguar, Puma, Ocelot, and [url=https://www.google.ca/images?hl=en&q=jaguarundi&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1397&bih=784]Jaguarundi[/url]). A large percentage of the world's exotic pets, as well as the large cats for fur, are taken illegally from the forests around here, and I'd like to be part of gently reintroducing the ones that survive being taken. I'd also want to start a [url=https://www.google.ca/images?um=1&hl=en&biw=1397&bih=784&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=mountain+tapir&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=]Mountain Tapir[/url] breeding program, to help reintroduce them to the upper forests - Tapir are, unfortunately, fairly friendly animals and good eating, and they've been hunted to the brink of extinction.

About the only thing I wouldn't be dealing with are the [url=https://www.google.ca/images?hl=en&q=tremarctos%20ornatus&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1397&bih=784]Andean Spectacled Bears[/url] (who are, unfortunately, still being rescued from circuses down here) - I have a friend who runs a specialized rehab for them, and he does it better than I ever could. He's actually figuring out how to teach them to be bears again.

Halfway
Green Thumb

I believe I would build and operate a greenhouse complex capable of employing a couple hundred mentally challenged people. It would not have to be "profitable", but would have to produce a quality product while providing a very good environment for the employees and staff.
Zone 4a.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Halfway wrote:I believe I would build and operate a greenhouse complex capable of employing a couple hundred mentally challenged people. It would not have to be "profitable", but would have to produce a quality product while providing a very good environment for the employees and staff.
The idea is great, but for me it would have to be profitable. The profits would be invested in growing and expanding the enterprise. Without profit, the piggy bank filled by lottery winnings would eventually run dry and everyone would be back on the streets again.

Ted

Halfway
Green Thumb

tedln wrote:
Halfway wrote:I believe I would build and operate a greenhouse complex capable of employing a couple hundred mentally challenged people. It would not have to be "profitable", but would have to produce a quality product while providing a very good environment for the employees and staff.
The idea is great, but for me it would have to be profitable. The profits would be invested in growing and expanding the enterprise. Without profit, the piggy bank filled by lottery winnings would eventually run dry and everyone would be back on the streets again.

Ted
I agree Ted, but my thought was more of allowing the winnings (if significant) to be drawn down without sacrificing the employee opportunity during hard times or in the face of making profit. It would almost be a non-profit, with grants from the trust on a case by case basis. Or maybe thought of as a budgeted and subsidized "job corps" for the disabled.

I really need to hit that lottery to get this in motion. :shock:
Zone 4a.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

I'll pay somebody to plant and tend my garden. I'm so tired and it's so hot.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Charlie MV wrote:I'll pay somebody to plant and tend my garden. I'm so tired and it's so hot.
Cuz Charlie, How come it is so hot in SC? They just had freezes all the way down into Florida. I guess you are being effected by that global warming problem and the folks in Florida are being effected by that global cooling problem.

Cuz Ted

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Cousin Ted, it is cool enough now that I walk my daily 5 to 7 miles in shorts and a T shirt. It's in the 20s at night and 40s during the day. I think the heat from this past summer still has my brain fried. We're seriously considering dropping plants like okra, tomatoes and green beans that need frequent picking.

We'll still plant corn, peas and peppers that are harvested once or infrequently. We're hunting for a good farmers market to pick up the stuff we don't grow.

I'm taking Harry Truman's advice. The kitchen has grown too hot. I'm getting out.

I would buy a bigger boat and hire a deck hand.

Lehcar

Buy a farm.

I'd rather worry about overproduction of my garden rather than the underproduction of my coworkers.

I want to puzzle over how to recycle my yard clippings rather than how to get a recycling project going at the office.

Give me a sunburn over carpal tunnel.

I want to be sore from fixing fences when I lay down for bed, not strained from sitting in one position all day.

My ideal morning rush hour: stuck behind a tractor during hay baling season.

I'd like to lecture my bull every day on his sexual harassment policies and how he can improve his flirting skills with the three cows I keep with him during breeding season.

That's how I'd spend it. :lol:

Halfway
Green Thumb

Lehcar wrote:Buy a farm.

I'd rather worry about overproduction of my garden rather than the underproduction of my coworkers.

I want to puzzle over how to recycle my yard clippings rather than how to get a recycling project going at the office.

I want to be sore from fixing fences when I lay down for bed, not strained from sitting in one position all day.

I'd like to lecture my bull every day on his sexual harassment policies and how he can improve his flirting skills with the three cows I keep with him during breeding season.

8)
Zone 4a.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Okay, I will use this post as a score card.
Lehcar wrote:Buy a farm.

Yep, I'm already wondering if I am germinating to many veggies for my spring garden. May not be able to give all the excess away.

Yep, doing that in my big compost pile.

Yep. went to the dermotologist yesterday to get a bunch of spots burned off my head from to much time in the garden.

Nope, fences are built, but I'm still sore from hauling soil in wheelbarrow and building beds, and shoveling cow poop

Reminds me that I need to get a few of those big round hay bales delivered for the cows and the cows excess also goes into the compost pile.

Nope, just cows; no bulls. Don't have to worry about lectures.

Ok

Oh well, I still just want that big greenhouse.

Ted

Lehcar

Marlingardener wrote:Lehar,
That's basically what we did, but believe me, we didn't hit the lottery, and the ship is still over the horizon! Other than that bull thing, you pretty well described what we are trying to do. The tractor is still in our future, but we are having great fun with fencing!
We're on our way to where you are and while hitting the lottery isn't necessary it doesn't hurt, either! Hehe.

I lay awake at night planning all the things I'd do to be entirely self-sufficient on 10-15 acres of land including making enough money from the fruits of our labor to pay the bills that are necessary so neither of us have to look outside our property for a paycheck again.

My husband thinks I'm adorable and a little nutty when I tell him that I'd like to dedicate an acre of land to wheat production to make my own flour. Or when I try to explain how goats are much more efficient milk producers than cows and when they dry out they're much easier to replace or breed to kick-start production again. I almost given up trying to explain to him that man cannot live on pickles and tomatoes alone and our garden will need to be diverse enough to keep the dinner table interesting while still small enough for the two of us (and maybe a few extra little hands :D ) to handle.

I'm pretty sure he sees perfectly fenced-off 2-acre lots with lush green grass and idyllic little white and black cows munching on round bales with his farmer wife in overalls and a straw hat piddling in the garden with two and half kids chasing chickens.

Introducing him to farm life is going to be almost as fun as introducing him to the term "mucking" :wink:

Oh to have land of our own!

And Ted... know that there is a very round, very pregnant woman on the east coast who is green with envy. :D

tedln
Super Green Thumb

lehcar,

My dermatologist appreciates my gardening efforts also. He has done well enough to only work mornings three days a week. I wonder if he may be trying to start a farm. If he is, he will be broke and back working full time in a few years.

Yep. we have been through the round pregnant wife thing a few times long, long ago. All good things come to those who work, plan, and are patient.

Ted

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Since I only want a green house, I found one on craigs list yesterday for $2800.00 installed. It is steel framed with the hard, clear, plastic panels covering it. It measures 18' X 30" with a single wood framed door installed. Does that sound like a reasonable price for a decent green house installed?

I can frame in one of those big air movement vent fans and a few air inlet vents myself. I can even install an air conditioner on one end myself.

Ted

tomf
Super Green Thumb

That may be a good price; one thing to look for is build quality. The thicker the panels the better. That is a nice big green house. Mine is 10x12 and it is on the small side, I mostly use it for plant starts.

Marlingardener I did a lot of research on tractors before I got one, if you tell me what you want to do with it, how many acres you will be working, if you land is flat or hilly I can give you some ideas on some things to look for. Also go to tractorbynet.com for more info.
I could never have done the work of cleaning up my land I have done so far with out a tractor. I still have tons to do, I have many acres I have not done any thing to yet; it is a big job. I have 1300 feet of creek I have not done much to yet, I want to make sure that what I do helps the wild life.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”