applestar
Mod

Did everyone watch the lunar eclipse?

It's just past totality now and I'm completely frozen! :lol:
OMG! But it was worth it! :()
Love the iPad and the star map apps -- I have two. :wink:
I have to imagine how it would look where the skies can be completely dark since there are too much light pollution around here, but binoculars reveal a whole bunch of stars Invisible to naked eyes. 8)

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Oh, drat! I forgot!

I realized the rain had stopped, so I decided to run outside and check to see what the cloud cover was like ... if I could even see the moon. And there it was! :D

Thanks for the reminder! :clap:

applestar
Mod

Oh don't get me wrong, the moon's completely dark right now so go out and see if the skies are clear. I just couldn't stay out any longer -- it,s 27°F out right now. :roll:

applestar
Mod

Hah! You went and changed your post while I was typing :lol:
Glad you got to see it. :D

With my myopic eyes and glasses miniaturizing everything, I need the binocs, etc. to fully appreciate the moon even under normal circumstances, and I tend to think other people do too. I woke my kids (and DH) to see this, and DD8 was most interested. After looking in the telescope a few times, she sat huddled and bundled up, and when I offered her the binocs, she said "No, I'm good. I just want to sit here and watch the little marble change color." :D

DD12 REALLY didn't want to get out of bed, but I persisted by going in several times. and when she finally came out, DH had managed to find the moon again centered in the telescope, and her "It looks AMAZING!!!" spoke volumes. :wink:

DH went in shortly after the last bright sliver was obscured, tsaying he has to get up for work in the morning... then came out again.
DD8: " I thought you went in!"
DH: "Just one more look. I have to see it just one more time."
DD8: "Daddy's funny. He came out without his jacket!" :lol:

--
Everyone else is back asleep now. I just looked out the window, now that the moon has come around enough to see from the bedroom, and the top of the moon is showing a bright sliver again. 8)

I can't go through the Lunar eclipse without thinking about Isaac Asimov's Nightfall -- both the short story and the later novel. 8)
Last edited by applestar on Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

:lol: Yeah ... after I clicked on Submit, I looked at the time and realized I wasn't really too late to see it, as long as there wasn't a solid ceiling of clouds. That's a problem here in the winter, which often prevents one from observing any kind of astronomical phenomena.

Anyway, I dashed out the front door and down to the sidewalk in front ... totally freaked out my pups. They aren't used to me doing stuff like that. Didn't see the moon anywhere. Finally, I looked straight up and there it was! Being covered by the umbra, it wasn't giving off much light. Made it harder to find than usual. :lol:

applestar
Mod

For some reason I can't get back to sleep. :?
I noticed when I was swinging the StarWalk app around, that most of the Solar System's planets were clustered around the sun on the other side of the Earth (I.e. In alignment with the Moon, Earth, and the Sun) at the moment of the eclipse. That seemed significant.... 8)

Total Lunar eclipse coinciding with Winter Solstice... I wonder what you could have seen at some of the ancient astronomical structures like the Stone Henge and Mayan temples, etc... 8)

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

It was overcast, but we got to see some of it through a misting of light clouds. Just before it went into totality the clouds thickened and the red moon would not come through.
Glad you got to see it. We will never in our lives see another lunar eclipse on the winter solstice.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

It was over cast here. I saw a lunar eclipse once it was pretty slow but interesting.
Last edited by Gary350 on Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

applestar
Mod

:lol: Here's a faster version for you armchair astronomers. :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMw7yamP4Rw&hd=1

Last really good one I saw was the one in 2004, I think. The latest one prior to this was obscured by scattered cloud cover that thickened until the view of the moon was completely blocked.

I have to watch at least the first 1/2 until complete totality, not always until the moon comes out again completely, though I do keep an eye on the Moon until it peeks out from the other side.
(I mean what if it didn't? :kidding:).

I always get a greater sense of the Solar System... or at least the relative relationship between the Sun, the Earth, and the Moon -- you realize that at the moment of Lunar eclipse, the moon is directly overhead, Earth is at your feet, and the Sun is straight down past Earth on the other side? (OK not ALWAYS a straight line relationship, but non-the-less :shock:)

...and more connected to the Universe :D
I LOVE seeing all the stars and constellations too, especially seeing the ones surrounding the Moon that are invisible until the Moon goes dark. This year, with the iPad apps on hand, I was FINALLY able to ID all the constellations I was seeing for the first time, ever. 8)

I'll have to find the link to a page explaining the whole process that I found very informative. As the article pointed out, the curved edge of the Earth's shadow is a proof that it is a circular object.

During the eclipse, the Moon takes on a totally 3D effect, looking like you could reach out and pluck it out of the sky. I learned from the article I mentioned that it's actually an optical illusion caused by the shadow effect of the sunlight refracted through Earths atmosphere, but still, it's a sight. (This is what my DD8 was referring to when she talked about the "little marble changing colors"). I also think about historically and prehistorically what people might have thought about the phenomenon. I think about references to the Moon "...rising Blood Red" in creepy legends, and how they were probably seeing an eclipsed Moon during totality as it rose above the horizon.... 8) 8)

I think getting to see the eclipse is pretty special since all kinds of circumstances have to come together just right to afford the opportunity. I'm thrilled to have seen this one -- a Total Lunar eclipse on Winter Solstice. :()

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”