rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

free rice

Does everyone know about FreeRice.com ? It is a website that is sponsored by the World Food Programme. It is a kind of quiz. For each right answer you get 10 grains of rice are donated by the ad sponsors to the WFP. As you get more right answers the questions get harder, when you miss questions, they get easier, so you are always working about at your level. You can choose your topic from a wide range (English vocabulary, English grammar, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Chemical symbols, arithmetic, art, geography, etc).

It is a win-win: it is fun and very educational, you learn a lot by doing the quizzes AND (without coughing up any cash) you are donating food to the hungry, in crisis situations around the world (right now they are focusing a lot on the flooded areas of Pakistan).

You won't find me if you go there, because I use a different screen name, but since they upgraded the site in Sept to allow on-going tracking of your totals, I have donated over 100,000 grains (enough to feed one person for two months or 10 people for a week). Come and check it out!

You can also set up groups and it will track totals donated by everyone in the group. ... If people were interested we could even have a Helpful Gardener group....

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Rainbow, count me in if you organize a THG group! This sounds like fun. I love quizzes.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

What a terrific, worthwhile thing to do.

Thank you.

Cynthia

johnwhitkin
Newly Registered

Wow it is so funny and educational,I have tried it

Halfway
Green Thumb

Very cool!

Thank you for the link.

I will join a group if one is established. 8)

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

I'm going to donate a whole bunch of rice. This sight actually makes me feel smart. I'm not accustomed to that.

Halfway
Green Thumb

I will start a group named helpful gardener. I can put this web site address down if it is ok.

Who is interested?

Also, if you are interested, provide some input as to which of the following categories you would like the group to be quized on.

Famous Paintings
English Vocabulary
Chemical Symbols (Basic)
Chemical Symbols (Full List)
English Grammar
Identify Countries on the Map
World Capitals
French
German
Italian
Spanish
Basic Math (Pre-Algebra)
Multiplication Table
All categories

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

do all categories and let people pick what they want! Thanks... I was thinking about doing this, but I hadn't gotten it together. Let us know when it is up!

If you PM webmaster, he probably has a Helpful Gardener logo you can use as avatar.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”