petalfuzz
Green Thumb

I read a lot. I love historical fiction (victorian and medieval mostly), also science fiction and fantasy. Gardening books, but I like the historical ones more than scientific or how-to variety. Seed catalogs.

I also read a lot of non-fiction. Whatever catches my interest or eye or was referred to me. Right now I'm reading a lot about weaving and native american stuff.

I usually read Pride and Prejudice once per year, but despite my English Lit degree, I don't crave reading the classics at this point in my life.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Runningtrails wrote:How-to books mostly. Stacks and stacks of them from the library on whatever subject I am doing at the moment.

I rarely have the time to read anything else.
I tend to read "how to" books after I start something and suddenly realize I am in way over my head (low level of knowledge). I use them as a life saver to keep from drowning. I tend to dive into projects instead of sticking my foot in to see how deep the water is.

Ted
I simply enjoy gardening!

Jaydenz

I like reading fantasy and sci-fi when i have time. my favorite books are the Harry Potter set because i got all 8 movies before Christmas and i want to see what's different in the books.
The sky is falling! Oh wait. It's only snow. =D

Burz

Aldous Huxley
Preserve your heirlooms! Support heirloom seed exchange!

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

books

Lorax, I am the same way, If I buy a book, it's one I am going to keep! My grandmother was a great reader, my husband's parents, and now our daughter.

I have a very hard time parting with books too. I REALLY hope they never stop making *real* books!!!!

Right now I am reading books by Francis Mayes, ( she wrote under the tuscan sun, Bella Tuscany) and a bunch more!!

It's winter and I need a shot of sun and warmth through the books!!!! :wink:

lily51
Greener Thumb

Green mantis.. I loved Under the Tuscan Sun too (and the movie)
If you like nature you may like The Big Year , it was a fun read. Was also reading Feathers at the same tme, which made them both interesting.

For those liking historical fiction, one of my favorites is an older one, Pillars of the Earth.

How many of you book lovers have a different book going in different rooms?
And then maybe a favorite that you re-read all or favorite parts of ? :D

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

petalfuzz wrote:I read a lot. I love historical fiction (victorian and medieval mostly), also science fiction and fantasy. Gardening books, but I like the historical ones more than scientific or how-to variety. Seed catalogs.

I also read a lot of non-fiction. Whatever catches my interest or eye or was referred to me. Right now I'm reading a lot about weaving and native american stuff.

I usually read Pride and Prejudice once per year, but despite my English Lit degree, I don't crave reading the classics at this point in my life.
You need to take a look at Bernard Cromwell. He's a wonderful historical fiction writer. His Saxon king series, the Arthur series and the grail series of books are all about the medieval era. He is to the medieval era what Jeffery Sharra is to the American civil war era.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I don't like fiction and novels. I like thinks about health and mental health, gardening, plants, fish, earth, history, biographies, cooking/food, or anything that is gonna teach me a skill etc.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

lots.

aside from gardening/permaculture/etc references, and the field guides, oh, the field guides, there's all of SJ Gould's essays, lots of science fiction and fantasy, biographies, various mythologies, natural history stuff, dabblings in classics (for various given degrees of classic - years ago when i rode public tranportation in chicago, i read the inferno, the iliad, the odyssey, war and peace, and the entire lord of the rings trilogy in less than a month...i was on trains and busses too much...)also salman rushdie, bill bryson, ...

and more, and more.

including a shout-out to terry pratchett. dude's done some amazingly smart writing under the guise of goofiness.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

How to books, tech manuals, science books, sci-fi, the internet.

DeborahL
Green Thumb

When I was a child, I got in trouble for reading too many books. There was a one book per week limit. Unbelievable.
I also got in trouble for reading ahead of the teacher.
It didn't take too long for me to begin to hate school.
God must think highly of animals - He created them before creating us !

tomf
Super Green Thumb

DeborahL wrote:When I was a child, I got in trouble for reading too many books. There was a one book per week limit. Unbelievable.
I also got in trouble for reading ahead of the teacher.
It didn't take too long for me to begin to hate school.
That is to bad.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

We have a room full of books, and stored art work. I got my wife a tablet so now she can down load books; they do not take up space that way. 8)

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

Dean Kootz and James Patterson books are my favorites. But I really have to be in the mood to read.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”