applestar
Mod

Sunrise

I was always intrigued that Lorax is generally online at the same time I am when she lives in Ecuador along the Pacific coast, which I of course equated with U.S. West coast. But I bought a $0.99 iPad app called Living Earth last night, and I can clearly see that we're on the nearly same sunrise line (I know there's a proper term for that). In comparison, right now at 11AM for me, it looks like PNW is just waking up. 8)

It also shows updated cloud covers all over the globe -- as well as night side illuminations. Really cool 8)

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

This may help.

[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/time-zones-map.jpg[/img]

Eric

applestar
Mod

Oh, the map is useful, but the Living Earth App is gorgeous! I looked around, I think the image is derived/rendered from this:
https://www.fourmilab.ch/cgi-bin/Earth
Choose "From Moon" and "NASA Blue Marble". Set image size to at least 640 pixels. Change altitude to 28000 km. Click update. (Set your location if you know it) Now picture it in HD, overlayed with the current global cloud patterns including swirling tropical storms and in "simulated 3D". 8)

On the iPad app, GPS locks in on your location (displayed on the lower right corner) and you can set the earth to rotate. You can "swipe" to rotate the earth faster or slower, and drag to turn it in any orientation. You could even be looking at North or South pole as the earth rotates. On the upper left corner is a snippet of local weather info (tapping on the weather corner gets you a detailed current weather info and a 4 day forecast) and upper right corner is a Day/Date/Time clock. It's great! :D

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I have seen that app I may have to get it for iPhone.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”