Alan in Vermont

Is anyone else having problems signing on?

This is the first time I have been able to sign on here in about a week. I keep getting a message that the site cannot be found. It has been going on intermittantly for at least a couple months with this latest blackout the longest so far. Is anyone else having any similar issues?

I have no idea when I will be able to get back to check.

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

:shock: I'm not and it doesn't seem that others are either considering people are responding to topics daily.
Confusion at its Finest :D
I'm rooting for you!

*USDA Zone 8b :: Sunset Zone ?*
https://bewilderedgreeny.weebly.com/

webmaster
Site Admin

Possible you were using the wrong URL?

The correct URL is https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/

You can always reach the site via https://www.helpfulgardener.com/

and for simplicity's sake, you can also reach via https://www.gardeningforum.us/

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Allan,

I don't know which browser you are using. I use google chrome a lot. It seems to navigate faster. Because it does switch between URL's faster, sometimes it doesn't get a good lock on a URL and reports that it can not locate the server. If you simply click on the reload button at the top, it usually will load the server.

I also use firefox depending on what I want to do. Firefox loads pages slower, but more reliably. The latest version of Firefox has been a little buggy for me. It uses up RAM memory faster causing my computer to go to blue screen requiring reboot.

I sometimes use IE, but it carries so much junk built in that I try to avoid using it. They just released IE 9 beta. I will give it a try because they have deleted a lot of the junk allowing users to show more of the web page and less of the browser.
I simply enjoy gardening!

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Sorry to hear you've had trouble, Alan. :( I use Firefox (Mac) and haven't had any trouble signing in lately, or even before that for many months.

Have you run utilities/virus software on your computer recently?

Maybe it just wants housekeeping or, if it's like mine, it just wants...attention. :x

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Good idea! Maybe you do need some house cleaning. Download free cCleaner from https://www.piriform.com/. It's like hiring a professional house cleaner on occasion in clean out all the nooks and crannies you forget about. It also has a utility built in to clean out missing links from your registry and just get everything back in the proper order. Piriform also has a free defragmentation utility called "defraggler" that defragments your hard drive much better than the built in windows utility.

Ted

Alan in Vermont

I had pretty much figured the problem is on my end. I'm using IE and getting here via cookies. I've even tried getting in by entering the address, when it happens it's impossible for me to get here no matter what I try.

Guess I need to get the 'puter tuned up.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Sorry to hear that. I always liked your post.

Give Firefox a try maybe it will do you good. I got Firefox a long time ago and have never had a problem. Oh and for sure do a cleaning that might be it. I am very adamant about cleaning my PC as often as possible.

Good luck

Thanks Ted now I have another free cleaner to try out.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Nice utility Ted ( https://www.piriform.com/ ). Thorough and fast with some nice tools. It has a great uninstaller along with it.

Give this a try Alan as well as anyone else who wants a clean PC.

Nice find. :()

bg
Cool Member

It could also be isp issues, and not necessarily on your end. If you're using a windows system, sometimes you can clear it up by pressing the Windows Key (and holding) and pressing the R key. This will bring up the Run function. Just type this in exactly and hit enter:

ipconfig /flushdns

That will clear the dns cache which sometimes needs updating. Though it may or may not resolve the issue, won't hurt to try. Sometimes you will even have to wait until the isp's dns is updated as well.

webmaster
Site Admin

The DNS flushing suggestion is a good one.

Another possibility, what may be happening to Alan is possibly a virus/trojan has infected his computer. What it is doing is re-routing Internet requests to wherever the virus/trojan wants to take his computer. If possible, it may be helpful to do a go-back on the system, restore it to an earlier state. If the problem started two weeks ago, then try restoring the computer to an earlier state at least one to two months ago. Here is how to restore a computer, starting by clicking the START button: START > PROGRAMS > ACCESSORIES > SYSTEM TOOLS > SYSTEM RESTORE

After you have restored your computer to an earlier state, or even if the computer failed to restore it, the next step is visiting the Microsoft website and downloading the [url=https://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyId=AD724AE0-E72D-4F54-9AB3-75B8EB148356&displaylang=en#SystemRequirements]Malicious Software Removal Tool[/url]. After you run that tool, I suggest you head over to Download.com [url=https://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html]here to download MalwareBytes Anti-Malware utility[/url]. This is a highly rated anti malware utility that is also free.

If you can't access and run the above anti virus softwares, and your computer failed to restore to an earlier state, then you may have to remove your hard drive and install a new one with a fresh install of Windows. Most people simply reinstall Windows on the old hard drive but you will lose all of your files. It's better to remove the old hard drive and place it in an external hard drive enclosure. Once the new hard drive is installed in the old computer you can attach the old hard drive and scan it with an anti-virus. Then you can pull your important files from the computer.

If you are ok with opening your computer and removing the hard drive (HDD) and placing it inside the external hard drive, then [url=https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182155]try this model of external hard drive[/url]. This model is fine as well if you're taking it to a shop to have someone else do it.

[url=https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182221]This model is a hot swappable model[/url] that requires no screwdrivers. Just drop the hard drive in and plug it into your computer. That's it.

I had something similar infect my computer last year, It kept my computer from accessing all antivirus websites, and disabled all three antivirus softwares on my computer. I had to buy a brand new hard drive and load up a fresh copy of Windows. I stuck the old hard drive in an external hard drive enclosure and disinfected it there. I then pulled my important files from that external hard drive and put it on my fresh install. Hopefully you won't have to go to that extreme. The virus came from a USB memory stick that came infected out of the package.

CCleaner has been around for a long time and is highly rated. Everyone should have a copy.

Revo Unistaller is a great utility that is very thorough for getting rid of things. It has been tested and rated highly by PC Magazine. If you are active about maintaining your computer, this is a free utility you should have. It can be [url=https://download.cnet.com/Revo-Uninstaller/3000-2096_4-10687648.html]downloaded here[/url].

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

webmaster wrote:I had something similar infect my computer last year, ....The virus came from a USB memory stick that came infected out of the package.
Well, J.H.C. on a crutch. :shock: If that's not enough to make ya paranoid, I don't know what is. :evil:

Cynthia

tedln
Super Green Thumb

I didn't read Alans post to be saying he was being redirected. I understood him to be saying he was receiving the "server can not be found" message. I have in the past experienced a corrupted url address in the desktop icon. If he continues getting the message when he clicks the icon, I suggest he drag and drop a new or fresh icon from the address bar on the home page of this site and then click it to see if the message still appears. If it works, keep the new icon and delete the old icon.

Ted

webmaster
Site Admin

>>>"server can not be found" message.

That's a good point about the URL being corrupted. It's especially relevant if the problem is limited only to this website.

However, in the case of a Trojan/Virus, what they do is change the configurations of the infected computer to route all Internet traffic through a rogue DNS server. A domain name is really like an alias. The actual Internet address is a series of numbers. The DNS server routes the request for a domain to the IP adress that the domain is mapped to.

In the case of an infected computer, instead of being routed through your ISP, the domain name you type in is routed through a rogue DNS server located in some other country that sends you to a fake Amazon website, or shows you their own ads or popups, as well as blocks you from reaching certain websites.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

I don't remember Alan commenting on other websites also being blocked (or redirected). I assumed this web site is the only one effected. If multiple sites have the same problem, look for redirection with a trojan horse or virus. If this is the only web site effected, start simple and create a new icon by dragging and dropping this address.

Ted

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

More stuff. Thanks Webmaster i used to have Revo Uninstaller than my PC crashed hard this year and lost a bunch of stuff. I couldn't remember what the name was of that. As soon as I saw Revo I remembered. Best uninstaller ever.

Thanks.

Slowly building my PC back up to snuff.

I hope you don't have to go through all this Alan.

Good luck.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”