tedln
Super Green Thumb

Curious about postage charges for seed.

I recently ordered some seed from two different vendors who have very good reputations in the business for seed quality and customer service. One of the vendors was Glecklers Seedmen. I thoroughly enjoy doing business with them. They seem to give every order the personal touch by thanking customers for their order by email and telling when it will ship. If you order I believe 5 packets and over it will ship free. Their packet prices are no higher than and seem lower than most vendors.

The second vendor also has a great reputation for seed quality and accuracy to the order. They seem to charge a flat $5.25 for first class postage. Their per packet costs are a little more expensive than most vendors. I ordered eight packets of seed which I received today. The actual postage on the envelope was $0.69. While I expect the seed I ordered from them to be of high quality, I probably won't order from them again because it seems they are actually selling postage for a significant profit while also selling seed for a reasonable profit.

Am I looking at the second vendor in the wrong way? Should I only be considering the value of the product and not the total experience?

Ted

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Ted,

No I don't think so. It's called postage and handling. Have you done any purchasing on Ebay. Talk about postage gouging.

I suppose you have to compare size of the operation. Is one a family owned and the other incorporated? The overhead differences. Employees, no employees.

Eric

thanrose
Greener Thumb

I think so. Postage is not strictly postage. It's postage and handling. That's the order receiver, the picker, the loader, the shipper, etc. For small operations, that might just be Mom.

I couldn't say which would be better, only that I think the first guys are willing to do work at no charge for the pleasure and profit of your continued business. And the second would prefer your purchase to be higher volume and cost.

If I'm paying more for S/H, I look to see what else I should get. I just ordered some herbal supplements online, and bought a couple of other items for about the same as it would cost me locally. They actually got more of my business because of the S/H fee.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

If they are including charges for processing and handling in the postage charges, shouldn't they let the customer know what they are being charged for?

If they simply have a flat rate for everyone, it would be nice to know that up front since you normally don't know what the posting/shipping charges are until the end of the check out process online. I might want to add some items to my order to maximize the benefit for flat rates.

I ordered some shirts and other stuff from Lands End the other day. I have always liked their products. I think the postage/handling charges were $12.75 for a sizable package. It didn't seem unreasonable until they announced the next day that all future orders would be shipped free of charge for everyone. I spent the rest of that day kicking my rear for ordering one day to early.

Ted

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I often refuse to buy from places with too high of postage and handling. I have found some with higher per packet costs are actually cheaper when the postage is added to both orders.

I often fill shopping carts with identical products and then compare the price after adding shipping charges.

I mailed out 8 envelopes full of Pawpaw seeds, these are large seeds, and I put a good quantity in each envelope, some also had Egyptian onions and a couple had fresh elderberries, in a tiny baggie in them.
All total for all 8 was $8.35.

I think the shipping is gouging!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Ozark Lady wrote:I often fill shopping carts with identical products and then compare the price after adding shipping.
This is the method I've learned to use. :lol:

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”