tedln
Super Green Thumb

Court Jesters!

Until vaudeville, radio, and recorded music became available, entertainment and entertainers were considered the court jesters. If a King was displeased with a court jesters performance or comments, he simply had him or her beheaded. Their only contribution to society was to provide entertainment.

Today, they are revered as “celebritiesâ€

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

tedln wrote: I have some difficulty understanding why if someone can sing a song, tell a joke, or act in a television role, their political opinions should have some value greater than the welder or home maker or truck driver who lives down the street. ...

I think we have a tremendous resource of knowledgeable people in this country whose thoughts are based on real scientific, moral, financial, and political facts. Why do we not learn from them instead of the court jesters?
Ted
What he said.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

applestar
Mod

While I don't entirely disagree, I dislike blanket categorization, especially of people. :?

tedln
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:While I don't entirely disagree, I dislike blanket categorization, especially of people. :?
I don't have a problem with them or wish to categorize them as people. My problem is the use of their celebrity status to gain access to the media to espouse their points of view. I can't blanket categorize them because not all performers abuse their status as celebrities.

I have a problem with us for accepting their point of view because they are celebrities and since the media gave them access; the assumption, they must be right. I consider what they do for a living to be no different than any other profession. I think I would prefer a world without celebrities but with more singers, comedians, and actors.

Ted

applestar
Mod

OK, I see where you are coming from.
I've never quite understood the "fan" mentality either. I agonized over that -- Why was I so different from everyone else? -- when I was much younger. :roll:

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Yeah. I've got quite enough to do, taking care of my own life, my dogs, my cats, and stuff.

I don't understand how other people are so fascinated with these "celebrities' " lives. Don't they have their *own* lives to lead? Why are the people "celebrities" in the first place?

I do NOT understand the phenomenon of being famous for being famous, esp. when the person in question cannot act, sing, dance, speak, or perform in any other way. When the person in question is not a performing or fine artist. Etc. Just famous for being famous. I think we can all just stand at the check-out counter (yes, admit it: you *do* go to the grocery store, at least for t.p.!) and see some names on magazine covers and say, "What on earth made him/her famous in the first place?" and have no. earthly. idea.

Cynthia

tedln
Super Green Thumb

I've always had heros. They were people who I thought stood for something valuable. Other than the potential monetary value, I can't comprehend why people want autographs of other people. I probably wouldn't be so critical of "celebrities" if becoming a celebrity required some action of real value to society. Today, we elevate people like Paris Hilton when her greatest accomplishment was the release of a sex tape. Lindsey Lohans value is now greater after spending time in jail than before spending time in jail. Her celebrity status is enhanced. I think it was the Hollywood agent, Lefty Lazarre who said "There is no such thing as bad publicity". It was originally said by Brenden Bahan, but he continued by saying "unless it is your obituary". A big news story last week was the fact that Paris Hilton's mansion in California was burglarized. Why? They didn't mention that Norman Smiths home in Duluth, or Glenda Davidsons car in Hoboken, or Melvin Yonskis business in Houston were also burglarized. Are they somehow of less importance than Paris Hilton because they didn't release a sex tape? Now I am just waiting for some idiot reporter to ask her opinion about who should be elected Governor of California.

Ted

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Ted, the Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, NY Times, NY Post and a local paper will give you a reasonably balanced view of the news. There are very few court jesters in the newspapers.

I take politics seriously and believe it should not be entertaining.

No punch line cuz. And that's the last serious reply you'll get out of me for a while.

I promise you that long space had poor old Webmaster's finger twitching over the delete key.

webmaster
Site Admin

How did you know? :lol:

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”