tedln
Super Green Thumb

School Supplies!

This subject came up in the "What are you willing to give up" thread. I wrote the following comment on that thread, but decided to start a new thread because it may have enough responses that I would be hijacking my own thread.

When I was a kid, all you needed to bring to school was a pencil. Everything else was supplied. The classrooms all had blackboards (chalkboards). I can say I learned a lot more from what was written on the blackboard than the books.

I don't remember having to furnish any special supplies when our kids were in school. I do remember one year when the schools issued a list of supplies that each student should bring to school at the start of the school year. It didn't amount to much. A few notebooks, some pencils, and a few little odds and ends.

I noticed our grandkids list this year was multipage and the community has started having special days when they issue the supplies free of charge to kids who can't afford them.

This is the first time I've heard of having to furnish the teachers supplies. I've kinda been out of touch with whats going on in our education system, but this is seeming a little ridiculous.

I guess I am having a little difficulty digesting how much money goes directly to education from all levels of taxation. Now the parents have to furnish the teachers supplies! Whats going on?

Ted

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

When I was a kid, we had to supply everything we used in school. We even had to pay a fee each year for the use of the textbooks. This was back in the '50s, btw, and into the early '60s. I don't think the idea of parents providing supplies for their kids is anything new.

My son was born in 1970, and all through his school years, I had to provide his school supplies, pay fees for his science labs, sports, buy locks for his lockers, etc., etc., etc. It was all part of the annual ritual of a new school year. ;)

We provided all of our own paper, including arty stuff, like construction paper, watercolor paints, and all the rest. I remember when I was in early elementary school, we had to bring a smock to wear over our school clothes, in case we got paint on ourselves ... which, of course, we did! We even had to bring a pillow for "nap time". LMFAO

What kind of stuff are you supposed to buy for the teachers? :?

shadowsmom

Getting ready to send my youngest two back to college! DS is in a frat house and has a single room this year. He'd like it painted before he moves in..... It's an old mansion converted into a frat house, complete with 12 foot ceiling and wide trim.

I honestly do not miss the grade school years. It got to the point where we were asked to send in boxes of tissues, in addition to a huge supply of other stuff.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

I guess I am beginning to feel "education" is kinda like having a swimming pool in the backyard. Its just a big hole to throw money into.

In Texas we don't have an income tax, but we have all the others. We have direct school district taxes paid by all property owners. We have sales taxes with a specific percentage going to education. We have a lottery which was supposed to only support education. The state of Texas directs a specific amount which increases yearly to education. The federal government allocates money to education. The federal government just voted to spend twenty eight billion dollars to prevent teachers from losing their jobs. Now parents have to furnish the teachers supplies in some places. I don't want to start an argument or make any kind of political statement, but where is all that money going?

Ted

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I hear a Beatles song “The Taxmanâ€

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

where is all that money going?
My kids school just got a new coating on the parking lot, it didn't need it at all. Another local high school just tore a 2 year old football field to put in AstroTurf, again not needed.

Not too sure on the other waste of "our" tax dollars but there are a few examples.

shadowsmom

It's interesting for me to read all your complaints about school costs since you are in other States. Here in NJ we voted against most of our school budgets in the last election because we are being taxed to death. I have the dubious honor of living in one of the highest taxed counties in the Country. All I pay for is supporting the schools and township building/staff. I do not have a police dept to support, no garbage pickup, nothing.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

School taxes go to build and maintain schools and pay teachers and other staff, but it is never enough and schools are always (well usually, in most places) broke, which is why they have to rely on parents to provide some things.

School tax levies are the ones I always automatically vote YES on. What could be a higher priority than educating our children?

I remember hearing someone complaining about why did they have to pay school taxes, since they didn't have a child in school. I only ever had a child in public school for 6 yrs, he was in private school the rest of the time and has been out of school a long time now. But I never begrudge school taxes -- it is good for my community to have good schools. An educated citizenry is the foundation of democracy, is good for business, etc.

shadowsmom

Rainbowgardner wrote:
School tax levies are the ones I always automatically vote YES on. What could be a higher priority than educating our children?

There isn't, but not all State's are set up the same way or follow the same criteria. NJ is way out of hand. We fund education from our property taxes. Our per pupil cost for my area is around $20 thousand per year. Way above the National average and education wise we are not heads and shoulders above everyone else. We also provide the best education for special needs students and have people moving in from other State's to partake in the programs. We also have a lot of higher administration costs.

I'm not slamming paying and providing for a good education, but I'm not certain we are getting what we are paying for.

My company has people stationed around the Country and everyone tries to get relocated out of NJ. It's a running joke. For a comparable home and located in a good school district their taxes drop by $15 thousand a year. I just got my tax bill, with another increase, and it's well over $20 thousand for this year. When DH and I retire we're out of here too.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

shadowsmom wrote:It's interesting for me to read all your complaints about school costs since you are in other States. Here in NJ we voted against most of our school budgets in the last election because we are being taxed to death. I have the dubious honor of living in one of the highest taxed counties in the Country. All I pay for is supporting the schools and township building/staff. I do not have a police dept to support, no garbage pickup, nothing.
I'm not complaining about it. I believe schools and education should be well supported. We don't get the opportunity to vote on money directed to education unless it is a bond issue for money dedicated to specific projects. I tend to look at things as a business where income or profit is redirected back into the business making a product. Schools don't earn a traditional profit, but they do produce a product. If the product produced in a company doesn't meet a quality standard, the company either goes out of business or they improve the product. Are our schools producing a product (educated children) equal to the value of the money spent? If not, why not?

Locally, a school superintendent of a local district decided to retire in his mid fifties. When asked why he was retiring so young, he told this story.
One of his students had recently been arrested after having committed many crimes. He received a call from the students mother wanting to meet with him. When they met, the mother said "I've been sending my child to school every day for you to raise. Why have the schools done such a lousy job raising my child?"

He filed his papers requesting early retirement that afternoon.

Why do we always believe more money thrown at a problem will solve it?

Ted

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

You know, I have a 7 year old, and had to get her school supplies.
What amazes me is: yellow pencils, blue notebooks... there is no longer any individuality. It doesn't say pencils, notebooks etc. It is very exacting even down to colors. And then it says: Students will not be allowed to have any variance in the list. So, a green pencil would be taken away as contraband! How ridiculous!
Does a red pencil not write as well? Does a yellow notebook make that student inferior? Crazy!

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Last year there was a big Tada when I local high school said the would be cutting money from some music programs and some athletic programs to build a partnership with a local upscale golf range. To the tune of 350,000.00 dollars. Locals were outraged! These music programs put kids like me through college. They never passed it, and they found somewhere much cheaper to play!

tedln
Super Green Thumb

When we lived in Louisiana, we lived in a community with a low income school, a middle income school, and a high income school, located in different parts of town. Our son attended the upper class school. Each school had its own football and track practice field. The city owned the only large high school football stadium which the schools used by rotating playing on Friday evenings, Saturday morning, and Saturday afternoon. My sons school decided the shared stadium was not the quality or didn't have the padded seats the parents required. They initiated a bond issue to build a new stadium which would be used only by the "upper class" school. All citizens of the city would be taxed to pay for the new stadium. The bond issue was totally defeated. That was one of the happiest days of my life. I will always remember some of the country club parents complaining because "It just isn't fair that we can't have our own stadium".

Ted

Farmer Kevin
Newly Registered

Read

School supplies are expensive here too! I try to keep my budget low, most of my high school work is going to be book work :/ . I remember last year when staples had those 90 page notebooks for 10 cents. I think there was a limit for 10. If you look hard you might find some nice deals! :D

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”