BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

suffering animals

I am really really annoyed that there are people out there who are absolutely abusive to their animals. Neglect is mostly what I see. My neighbor in particular as of late has a Maltese that she never takes care of... this dog is matted, they put clothes on it and never take the clothes off... it has a leash on it that they never take off... its absolutely uncalled for and abusive and it makes me sick! The dog is aggressive, hand shy, and won't let anyone come near it... its no wonder!! I'd be the same way if I were in that position!! :x I am sooo annoyed and angry and sad right now as I just saw it in my front yard licking its injured paw :( :( :( this sucks... there isn't anything I can do for this poor dog and whatever other animals live with these stupid people. If I call the humane society on them then the dogs will just end up being put to sleep anyway most likely. I can't capture the dog because it is aggressive and hand shy... My hands are tied... :( :( :( we have to sit here and watch as their animals suffer. They can't even keep their animals off the street in their backyard. People like that are heartless and should be treated the same. I have no pity for them they need to go rot in hell for the sins they commit. How dare they!

On that same note... dogs who are homeless running around on the street that almost get ran over... or "do" get ran over. That pisses me off too.. these animals don't deserve to suffer.. but once again I can't do a dang thing because they either "could" be aggressive or diseased or hand shy. And even if they weren't any of those they would end up being put to sleep at the humane society anyway. I just think it is down right messed up. People need to take responsibility for those animals which they take in to care for instead of just letting them run away and get lost and ran over or starve to death. UGH! It just really really gets under my skin... :x -wall- {End Rant}

What are your thoughts on this?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Now you struck a nerve with me. :twisted:

I love all animals and that doesn't sit well with me. I have seen it before and some of the offenders were ex cops so go figure.

I will keep this short because it might get ugly but here's an idea.

Baseball bat. :twisted:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

OH now I'm I'm steaming.

Here is the 1/2 an hour post I would have wrote if I didn't watn to get booted off of here.

"Edit" :twisted: :twisted:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If an animal is suffering and being mistreated, you can always call the SPCA and report it.

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

Yeh I'm thinking about reporting it... cuz honestly I think its chances would be better in the humane society then they would it these stupid peoples hands. Even if it is eventually euthanized it would be better then the poor thing having to suffer :( But my neighbors are so tricky and honestly I think that if the humane society "did" come to their door they would have some way of hiding it. :roll: I don't understand how some people can be so cruel. :( :( :(

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I worked as a volunteer at the local Humane Society shelter for 10 years. Among other things, I provided the dogs with basic training, to help make them more adoptable. We never put aggressive, hand-shy animals up for adoption. For one thing, they would have permanently languished in the kennel. We did not consider that a decent living environment for any animal, on a long-term basis. It isn't fair to "warehouse" living creatures.

Few people will ask to see, hold, play with, pet, etc. a dog that is barking aggressively, snarling, or baring its teeth. Fewer still will give any serious consideration to taking the animal home to live with them. The "not too bad" animals that we kept for adoption almost always ended up being destroyed to make space for incoming animals that didn't have behavioral problems. It isn't the fault of the animals, but the fact is, there is only so much space available.

In addition, if such an animal injured anyone ... even after it had left our facility ... we could have been sued. Not that we would have been found liable, necessarily ... especially if the new owner had been warned in writing that the animal they were adopting was aggressive ... but still, we would have had to foot all the expenses of putting up a defense. That money would be better spent finding homes for adoptable animals.

You might be able to find a Maltese Rescue Society in your area. (Dog rescue societies are usually breed-specific.) They might be able to do something. They don't have legal authority to remove an animal from an owner's possession, but they could work with the SPCA to do so, if such action was warranted.

In the end, though, you're right. The dog would probably be euthanized. If you saw it in a shelter, would you adopt it?

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

IMHO, the dog would be better off euthanized than sufferering. I think most would agree to that. Some of those aggressive dogs chillout when they realize they are no longer in a hostile situation.

I say, call SPCA, adopted or euthanized... It won't be suffering :( and if the dog is found to be neglected, the owners won't be able to legally own dogs again. You'd be doing future dogs a favor!

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

This page lists the contacts for Maltese rescue in the U.S.:

https://www.americanmaltese.org/ama_rescue_committee.htm

These people are probably the tip of a very large iceberg/network of rescue volunteers. I know from personal experience that, if you were to look on line for the rescue for my breed, you'd find just a few names. But there are many scores of volunteers. I can give you the names of 20 people in northern California alone--from the Oregon state line to about Bakersfield--for my breed rescue.

Also check out www.akc.org and find a local (= southern California) Maltese club. They may also have contacts with nearby shelters to "spring" their breed from the shelters, or they may be able to advise you on which shelters to call or not call about this dog. Prima-facie evidence of neglect, like the matted coat, fear of humans, and such *may* (in the hands of a skilled dog person) get this dog out of such a bad home. Unfortunately, evidence of abuse needs a different standard, and for that you need to deal with your local Animal Control authorities.

Bear in mind that a lot of this dog's terrible behavior may be a result of the hair coat pulling at the skin, unknown and definitely untreated skin infections due to mats, long toenails growing back around into the toe pads (yes, I did grooming in two different shops and two different humane societies for three years; I'm between positions right now), and who knows what ear/teeth infections/abscesses and related pain?

A shelter will perform a medical exam and provide health care for this dog before trying to address the behavior, knowing (as these people do not) that a well-mannered dog must have its medical needs met first.

The only dog they deserve is a stuffed toy. If that. Heartless jerks.

Cynthia
(2 cats, 2 dogs)

specgrade

I would definitely get the authorities involved! Some people have no right to keep animals (they sure aren't pets to them). :x

Sorry you feel helpless, but at least you want to help!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

This really hits home we live in the state that is the center for puppy mills in the country, oh that and meth labs go figure. If you don't know what they are they are not a place any dog wants to grow up in. Nasty horrid conditions.

That and animal hoarders run rampant around this state.

They just caught a lady with 20+ cats and a few dogs in her CAR. Yes that is right , her car. That is where they lived, among all their feces and food scattered about. The police said they could smell the car from 50+ ft away. :twisted:

tedln
Super Green Thumb

We have a guy who lives about 1/4 mile from us. Everyone in the community calls him the dog man. He thinks of himself as an animal rescuer because he picks up strays and brings them home. He currently has forty three dogs on a very small property. The dogs run wild. They are covered in fleas and ticks. If joggers run past his property, the dogs run out and chase the joggers. He has tried to get the county to certify him as a rescue facility and provide dog food.

The community has held meetings to determine what can be done to help the dogs and protect the community. The local sheriff has visited and said there are no laws which allow him to take any action. The humane society sent a lady out who was bitten by one of the dogs. They said they could do nothing. The SPCA has been out, but since the guy is providing food and water for the dogs, they can do nothing. A local veterinarian offered to help care for the dogs and would furnish medical supplies at cost. The guy says he can't afford all the vaccinations even at cost. The problem is the fact that if the community tries to help the dogs, the guy will just get more dogs.

I'm beginning to think the dogs shouldn't be euthanized, but the owner should.

Ted

Cerbiesmom

I agree. I see dogs and cats all the time that need help. I had a litter of pups born at my house on MArch 15th from a stray momma I found running the streets. No shelter would take her, as she looked like she may be part pit bull. We couldn't have her put down, so we fostered, and had 6 beautiful puppies, the last of which found his forever home on Monday!
[img]https://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm132/cerbiesmom/019-3.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm132/cerbiesmom/008-6.jpg[/img]
So, just try to remember, that even though a lot of people really suck, and should be discarded like they discard their animals, there are some good ones out there, too. I say call the humane society, but contact a maltese rescue first so they know when to go pull him/her from the shelter.
Good luck. If they were my neighbors, they'd find their dog missing really fast.
Crystal
(3 dogs, 3 cats, all rescues).

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Corbiesmom,

Pretty mama dog! Have you had her spayed?

Ted

Cerbiesmom

tedln wrote:Corbiesmom,

Pretty mama dog! Have you had her spayed?

Ted
Thanks, Ted. I think she's gorgeous. And she's got quite the personality.

Not yet. The rescue spays when they get adopted. I really want to get it done, I'm not looking forward to a dog in heat in my house. I'm sure the boys will love that. All the babies have been scheduled by their new parents to be spayed/nutered next month when they turn 6 months old. And if they don't show, I'll be driving all over the houston area picking them right back up!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Sweet doggie pics! Give her a hug from me! :)

lily51
Greener Thumb

Anyone watch "The Dog Whisperer"? If all he does is true, he has an amazing way with animals. He's a great animal and people psychologist.
A great promoter of confidence.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

lily51 wrote:Anyone watch "The Dog Whisperer"? If all he does is true, he has an amazing way with animals. He's a great animal and people psychologist.
A great promoter of confidence.
I used to watch the show, but watch almost no tv during gardening season. He is very good. I always felt he only taught one thing and that is the fact that all dogs are pack animals. It is their nature to establish their rank within a pack and then spend their lives filling the role the rank requires. He teaches that a dog owner should always demonstrate that he or she is the pack leader and the dog will be subservient to the owner or pack leader.

When I first watched the show, I thought the lessons he was teaching could be applied to raising children, but they really are not good for children because we don't want children to learn to be subservient. We try to teach children survival through independence or self reliance.

Ted

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

I think that the cesar millan is absoloutely excellent too. Not only can you apply his tactics with dogs, but horses, cattle etc. They ALL need an Alpha leader.----Children, well??? not so much, LOL!!! :wink:

the greenest

I feel the same way in my opinion they ought to be shot(not really well mabye :twisted:) but it just kills me to see these animals in such terrible condition :cry:

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

I know, I hate to see animals suffer, I can't understand how people can do that?? If they don't want it, give it away!!! Don't let cruelty come first. :(

microcollie
Green Thumb

Bewildered-

Having rescued more dogs than I can count, I understand and share your anger. My first step would be to spend a couple days getting photos as proof of the dog's abuse. This makes it harder for people to lie to the authorities. During those couple days, you could try to gain the dogs confidence. Treats first thrown over then handed through the fence can help. Avoid eye contact when possible so as not to seem threatening, and keep as low to the ground as possible. Use a quiet and soothing voice to talk to him. Visit as many times a day as possible. If there is any response from the dog over this period, then it probably isn't too late for rehab. A "hopeless" dog probably won't accept food, so even if he barks, growls, etc. but still takes the treat, it's a good sign. When I've had to bring authorities in, I always call the police as well as the appropriate animal authorities. Once the dog has been taken to the shelter, go visit right away. Keep in mind that the dog feels that his life has just made a turn for the worse, and seeing a person that was kind can help lift his spirits. Take the same treats that you were offering over the fence. Use the same kind voice. Aggression in dogs is almost always rooted in their fear and not in animosity toward us. If you can break through that barrier, then the dog has much better chances of finding a good, caring home.
I know that I'm really simplifying here, and people have told me that I tend to sugar-coat the rehab process, but I have gotten many dogs out of similar situations using these basic guidelines. I've run across very few that can't be helped. Unfortunately, pups that have been raised in this situation are almost always the "hopeless" ones. But even if there's a glimmer way back in the dogs mind of people at one time being nice, there's often a way to find it. The downside is that it can take years to undo the damage.
One thing I've found never to do is confront the owner. Often anger meant toward you will end up directed toward the dog.
I won't go on and on here, but if I can help, feel free to post again or PM me.

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

Taking photos of the dog sounds like a great idea even though I have been told repeatedly just to stay out of it. I think taking pictures of their abused animals may eventually help if I do end up taking action... I feel this dog is to far gone as he charges people and nips at people heels as they are coming up to "our" door ( go figure its not even our dog but since they live so close he is pestering our guests as well as us. ) All together I would love to just take all of their animals away from them and bane them from "ever" getting another animal again.. but unfortunately thats just not how things work here. :( they would most likely take a child from a none abusive parent who was just simply disciplining their child before taking a severely abused animal away from abusive owners.

I think the reason why people are telling me not to get involved with it is because a small dispute about animals can turn into hate and even anger from the neighbors causing problems with us living here. If they were to find out or even suspect that we were the ones that turned them in our lives here would turn to hell.

I've been feeding their cats (they have three that I know of) that are just skin and bone. But that is only when they let them out of their cluttered garage. Even the cats act as though they have never seen an ounce of love in their lives since the care of their mother at birth. My moments with them are fairly short as they only come over at night and I fear the owners might come over and say something. I have gained the cats acceptance.. but they never let me get close enough to touch them. One of them will play with a piece of yarn with me but never gets to close. The other two only take treats and food.

I found something interesting a couple days after I put food and water dishes out in my front yard they went missing. They completely disappeared and so did the kittens for about a week. I'm thinking the neighbors may have taken the bowls and locked up the kittens thinking I was trying to take them or something. I put another two dishes out for them but this time with a sign that says "Do not touch" So far the dishes are still there but the kittens now only come out every few days at a time to eat. I also put a water dish out where their abused dog normally hangs out but on our side and a couple days later I saw it was upside down next to their house.... What is their problem? Do they honestly want their animals to suffer? Its Bull... and it angers me so much. I hate that I can't just freeze time and make everything better in those animals lives without their abusive owners knowing until those animals are already safe and sound from harm.

Sorry so long :( *sigh*

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”