gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Well since you are talking about the importance of having fewer kids.

I met a guy on the jobsite the other day who had a big family. His father was a sex fiend it turns out, and had 14 kids from 9 different mothers. No kidding. :shock:

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I believe that a large family is a blessing. We had 4, I wish we had of had 6-8. But, you can't undo your decisions.
Large families are still pretty common in my world, and greatly admired.

So, I definitely will be odd person out on the direction this thread has been going! But, it is after all opinions, and mine are just as valid as anyone else's. Yeah for huge families, we need alot more of them!

https://www.duggarfamily.com/

tedln
Super Green Thumb

I come from a family of seven kids so I have no problem with folks having lots of kids. I just remember the struggle we had to eat, obtain an education, and simply survive. I had great parents and they provided to the best of their abilities. Since I am next to the youngest, I can say it may have been easier on the family if the last three of us had not been conceived.

After reading that last sentence, it sounds a little strong. I had a great family. We had and still have a lot of love. We have done well in life. I wouldn't change a thing except I sure wish it had been easier on my parents. I often look back and simply ask the question, "how did they do it?". We didn't have welfare or government assistance and I don't think my parents would have accepted it if it was available. Three of my older brothers and sisters had polio at the same time before I was born. The entire family was quarantined to their yard and house for a year. If the neighbors had not brought food and set it over the fence, my family would have starved to death. Only a doctor and a nurse were allowed too visit to provide medical care.

I believe large families are a blessing, but I chose to not have one except through adoption and foster care. I didn't give anything up. I just took a different road that led to the same place.

Ted

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Taken from this site; [url]https://www.susps.org/overview/numbers.html[/url]
[img]https://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e57/twistedtomf/worldpopgr.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e57/twistedtomf/graph1-1.jpg[/img]

As Tedn said what we do effects our neighbors.

Now I may show my prejudges but I feel most of the people like the ones here would raise better kids than most of the population.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

The entire world's population will fit in Texas, leaving the rest of the world vacant.

https://overpopulationisamyth.com/overpopulation-the-making-of-a-myth

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Ozark Lady wrote:The entire world's population will fit in Texas, leaving the rest of the world vacant.

Well what the hell are we waiting for? :wink: :P

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Ozark Lady wrote:The entire world's population will fit in Texas, leaving the rest of the world vacant.

If the Earth were compressed down to a red dwarf it would fit in a spoon.
Texas could not support the earths population and it would be one hell of a crowded place, I have always found that statement rather unrealistic.
The fact is we can not go on with exponential growth.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

I see a bumper sticker a lot that says "I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as fast as I could".

Newsflash! Newsflash! Enough already! We now have standing room only. Our highways are now parking lots. Tom and Ozark Ladies charts and statistics were prepared before our southern border was determined to be only an imaginary line by the government. We will soon be moving our southern border to Nebraska.

Ted

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I love ya, Tom, but, we will just need to disagree on this one!

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Well we hobby? farmed for many years and now just have a miniture horse on the 1/2 acre we have. Which is commercial property right in town! Nobody sees him, he doesn't make any noise and he is here until he's not well, then will be humanely put down. He is old, and our very last miniture horse, from raising and owning for 21 yrs. But we did get WAY off track when we started owning raising and showing them. Before we had our own milk cow, goats at one time ( I want another!!!) laying hens that scratched up the manure ( their pen was situated where we wanted the garden) and we had a great garden. I gardened, froze and canned all sorts of things, raised our own meat birds and turkeys. We don't do that anymore. BUT I intend to be like that lady that had her goat and chickens in the garage! Once you have done these things, it is SO hard to give up! I just can't, probaly will get kicked out of town, BUT I want rabbits for manure, and chickens for nice fresh eggs again. PLus a milk goat. Might not get the goat, but the rest I think is possible.----tedlin--I got such a laugh when I read about you usuing your cell phone to find your partner in Wal-Mart. I have had to do that too! I turn around, think I'm talking to him and he's wandered off and I'm talking to Who I have NO idea! But I notice when that happens, we always laugh about it. So must have happened to them as well. I always wanted a wood cook stove, but guess that won't happen, although we have a lot of great farm auctions around, so might get one, just to enjoy looking at!!!! We heated with wood for 15 yrs and there is NO heat, like wood heat. So warm and relaxing. It warms you right through! As for giving things up, I am in the process of that now, I have WAY too much stuff I don't use, and I know others could. But I did get my garden started this year, and the rest will be going next year. So I am excited! I can grow a lot of what we eat here, on a small area. I just never had to garden that way before, but you start re-using things and trading stuff and things move along pretty good! It will be like square foot gardening for me, but it's gardening. I missed that SO much, guess I just love getting my hands dirty! LOl!! Wish we could use the grey watter too. It's such a waste! All I can say is, keep this forum going, because I love it!!!!

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”