DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Ozark,

Yes, you are right.

Cynthia, If you come across the forum, please PM me. :roll:

Eric

tedln
Super Green Thumb

People have a right to be exclusive and elitist. We all have the right to not join the club. I resent rude people, but they do exist and I have no problem with it. We all tend to be a part of groups or in this case forums where we are accepted.

I was a member of a forum where the container gardening forum had a dirt guru who was and I suppose still is very rude to anyone who dared offer advice different than his. Every problem anyone experienced growing in containers could be resolved by dumping their growing medium and using his recipe for the "correct" medium. While I totally disagreed with the guy, he had the right to preach his dirt philosophy and the forum had the right to agree with him. I'm gone and I suppose he is still there. Bless them.

Ted

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

DoubleDogFarm wrote:
But the forum I found absolutely required *a* ("the"?) two-week course before practitioners could refer to what they were doing as "permaculture," with or without capital P, with or without trademark sign. It was very off-putting, and nothing like what I had expected to find
If you come across this forum, please post. Did it by any chance have the Bullock brothers involved?
It did not. I will PM you with what I can remember.

Cynthia

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

tedln wrote:People have a right to be exclusive and elitist. ... While I totally disagreed with the guy, he had the right to preach his dirt philosophy ... I'm gone and I suppose he is still there. Bless them.

Ted
And how very Southern of you to Bless their little (pointed?) hearts. :) Why, such people do indeed need to be blessed, don't they? :wink: Yes, my born-in-Texas mother could have done with teaching us this Southern lesson, but I was left to learn it from my aunt on my father's side, who I saw once every few years....an excellent lesson.

"So and so just ran over the neighbor's car." "She's always had trouble driving, bless her heart."

"So and so just can't abide other people's opinions." "I know, bless his heart, and he probably won't change."

Thanks for the reminder! :D

Cynthia, Southerner in exile, it would seem...

tedln
Super Green Thumb

:D Cynthia, your right. I've never thought of it as a "southern thing". I rarely say it or use it. I think it is a way of simply dismissing a perceived weakness in others. I'm a very, very laid back person. I normally look at other people when they are experiencing a meltdown and simply grin. I think that may also be a southern trait. Most people don't understand that about southerners. They also don't understand that like me, many southerners have licenses to carry concealed weapons. Good will can only be extended so far. Bless their souls! :evil:

Ted

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

tedln wrote::D Cynthia, your right. I've never thought of it as a "southern thing". ... I think it is a way of simply dismissing a perceived weakness in others. Most people don't understand that about southerners. They also don't understand that like me, many southerners have licenses to carry concealed weapons. Good will can only be extended so far. Bless their souls! :evil:

Ted
But if I say that out here in California, a born-and-raised Californian won't have any idea that I've just slashed and burned the (example) woman who can't drive or the (example) man who can't abide others' opinions. They'll be confused: "Well, do you like her/him or not?" :roll:

And, since I've been out here on the Left Coast so long, I may be out of touch, but aren't the majority of concealed-carry licenses held by men? I'm not sure whether Southern women would rather slice someone down by (ahem) "blessing" them....

Cynthia

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Actually, look at nature, the female of any species is the more deadly one.

I always assumed more woman had the concealed weapon license and more men depended on brute strength alone.

Don't ever kid yourself, most any Southern woman, can shoot a squirrel right between the eyes, when they can barely see the eyes, however many yards that is! And track an animal as good as any male!

lorax
Greener Thumb

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend unto my death your right to say it." - Voltaire.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

It used to be mainly a mans thing to carry a gun. Now it is surprisingly an equal rights thing. Criminal against male incidents declined dramatically when the criminals realized they couldn't outrun a bullet. Criminal against female crime increased until they began to realize that defenseless looking little grannies often had a 357 magnum in their little purses and they were trained to use them. Some companies are marketing small designer guns to more easily fit in a purse and look good when used. I think the philosophy is "when you shoot someone, do it in good taste". That may also be simply a southern thing.

Ted

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Ozark Lady,

Your right about the women being deadly. I was once on an extended business trip and would call home every night to make sure the wife and kids were okay. One night, my wife said "you want believe what I did today". I took a deep breath and very cautiously asked what she had done. She said, "you know that twelve foot gator in our pond?" Yes! "it was chasing the dog today, so I got one of your rifles and shot it".

Another time, she chased a huge snake around the yard and emptied three pistols shooting at it. She didn't think she ever hit it. I am snake friendly, but she isn't.

Ted

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”