gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Clean streams

I took the family on a stream cleaning adventure today. First time for them but I have participated in it many times. The parks department gathers volunteers every year to go around and clean local streams, you wouldn't believe the amount of trash that can accumulate.

This year they did something different that was cool. they had some local welders that stayed back at the park. If we found any large metal objects we brought them back and they welded them into trash art for the parks. Pretty cool if you ask me they actually made up some great stuff, sorry no pics my camera battery was dead. :x

Last year there was about a 100 of us and we collected about 5000 lbs of trash this year there was roughly 200 people so lets hope we can double the trash accumulation as well.

Good time though, the kids actually helped out quite a bit I was surprised. they were actually having fun. Which is good since they are 4 and 8. But at least I'm teaching them to take care of their Earth early.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

What a great thing to do and to do with your kids! :)

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:What a great thing to do and to do with your kids! :)
Yeah it was good too bad it was windy and cold.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I see trash through out on the sides of roads all the time and I wonder how some one who lives in some place so beautiful could toss junk out the car window. It is always fast food trash that I see or drink containers. I fantasize fallowing some one home and seeing where they live and coming back in the middle of the night and filling their car with trash. I know I should forgive them but I can't.

I think people who clean up after others like on the stream and at the lake are some of the best people on this earth so my thanks to you. I do a little road side clean up and pick up trash other tossed when I am at a park but I could do more.

I have about 1300’ of creek that I will be cleaning up in the next year or so, it just needs a little help but it is far from any humans and their garbage.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I used to do backpacking (not so much these days) and be out in mostly pristine wilderness far from where any car could come and STILL find the occasional beer can and trash just thrown out. That was my total disgust point--you can pack your beer cans in full, but you can't be bothered to carry them out again empty! You hike in to see/be in some gorgeous wilderness country, but you don't care enough to leave it in good condition? :twisted:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Yeah some people are just plain stupid, throwing trahs out the car window is the worst. I see it quite a bit. I was following someone the other day down some country roads he threw multiple things out the window. I finally got along side of him and let loose with many words I can't use on here, the guy got pissed at me, he's lucky I didn't get out and kick his butt.

I'm sure some of you remember the inidan crying at the trash commercial that used to air back in the day. That stuff hit home with me a long time ago and has stuck.

RBG I mountian bike and hike and some caving. Well Not so much anymore but whenever I go I come out with trash. If you bring anything in you should come out with more than that, end of story.

ranman99

Wow thats great,,,how did you get into doing that?

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”