Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Turnips - How to Grow Them?

I like turnips.
I buy lots of turnips, from the farmers as often as I can find them.
I have not had much luck growing them... Can anyone give me some insight on turnip growing?

I boil them up... add a bit of sugar, butter, salt and pepper... yum

But, I also like raw turnips.. for just snacking.

I would like to learn about growing them, as well as, more recipes for using them... You all taught me so well about radishes...

I think it is turnip planting time here... so I need some timely input.. over the next few weeks at least.

Tigerlilylynn
Cool Member

Haven't grown them before but my favorite use for them is mashed potatoes, turnips, and parsnips. The turnips are the most stubborn of the three so I cut them smaller and get them in the water while I prep the rest of the veg. I also tend to use a touch less potato since store potatoes are pretty boring compared to the bite of parsnip and horseradish.

Yield
10 servings (serving size: about 3/4 cup)

Ingredients
‣ 5 cups cubed peeled Yukon gold or red potato (about 2 pounds)
‣ 3 cups chopped parsnip (about 1 pound)
‣ 3 cups chopped peeled turnip (about 1 pound)
‣ 1/4 cup butter
‣ 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
‣ 1 1/2 teaspoons fine sea salt
‣ 1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Preparation
Place first 3 ingredients in a Dutch oven; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 15 minutes or until tender. Drain.
Stir in butter and remaining ingredients; mash mixture with a potato masher to desired consistency.

Nutritional Information
Calories:
160 (28% from fat)
Fat:
4.9g

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Turnips huh? I have never grown them and can't remember the last time, if ever, having them. I guess that is held over from the childhood hatred of such things.

Beets, spinach, turnips, radishes etc. Though I now can't enough of spinach and am now growing radishes. I need to branch out a little further.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”