Toil
Greener Thumb

Airport beer

Has anyone else observed that draft beer at the airport in those huge glasses tastes better than any other beer?

Sam Adams is what I take. Bottles of it at the airport are normal. But the draft? Aaghhghgh... So delicious. I had one before the first leg. Here in Philly I had a bottle. No comparison!

What gives? A secret pact? Consolation prize for TSA screeners not getting collective bargaining?

Toil
Greener Thumb

it seems to apply to any draft beer, compared to the same draft outside an airport.

is it turnover making fresher beer?

applestar
Mod

I thought Sam Adams is made in the Boston area. Freshest direct from the brewery?

Toil
Greener Thumb

I'm thinking the kegs don't sit at the bar for as long. So it's a storage issue rather than a shipping issue.

I know how to test it I think. Go to some bars where you know the traffic is really high, and have your favorite draft.

Now that's happy toil!

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

If you think Sam Adams is good then try Samuel Smith Nut Brown Ale it is 3 times better.

webmaster
Site Admin

I agree that freshness is a factor. Redhook stamps the date of creation on the side of it's 12 packs. The older the beer the less good it tastes.

Another factor affecting the taste of beer, imo, is the container. A beer will generally taste better in a glass. New Belgium Brewing Company makes a beer called, Fat Tire. The difference between drinking it in a bottle and in a glass is striking. It opens up in the glass with so many different flavors. Give it a try.

Sam Adams beer on draft in Boston itself was excellent. Never had it in Philly, though. Might need to fly out there and give it a try. :P

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”