GerriB

Cow Tipping and Snipe Hunting

Does anybody here remember actually going out into a field in the middle of the night with a group of friends to tip over a cow? I have heard such stories from my brothers and uncles in Kentucky, but I believe them to be false stories such as are the Snipe Hunting expeditions. Actually, nothing to do with gardening, but sort of related since all erstwhile gardeners, I think, would like to have a field of cows somewhere in their vicinity, although down wind

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

No experience on cows. But snipe hunts...oh yeah. There is always one. In my cabinet shop years ago, I had a bunch of fun lovin' hillbillies. They weren't school educated but were long on common sense.

I hired a kid to apprentice as a finisher. He wouldn't have pegged the meter on an IQ machine but he was a great kid. My hillbillies talked about snipe hunting for 6 months. It had the desired effect. For six more months the new guy begged to be taken on a snipe hunt. One day he told us he AND his father wanted to go on a snipe hunt.

Pop was a physician. That was too much for my hillbillies to resist. Needless to say, being the boss, I had to remain segregated from such things but I gotta say over the next month I shot large quantities of Diet Dr Pepper out my nose.

My crew, which actually was nine including 3 women who wouldn't have missed it for the world, set a date and the eleven minus me, but including new guy and diddy, set off on a Saturday morning.

The hillbillies left them on Crowder Mountain at 5pm and we heard nothing until Monday. When our boy minus diddy showed for work Monday, he said they had the best time they ever had. I think they drank. But it's a true story. Snipe hunts are real. We never found out if they caught any.

MysticGardener67

Thank ya ,Charlie! Much appreciated!

GerriB

Aaah! Snipe hunts are for real! But, question begs: what, exactly, are Snipes, and what do they look like? I know that my Uncle Dickie Ward who, in spite of his old age, is still a hunter with his 'Coon dogs and, loves to take green horns on a late night Snipes Hunt. I understand that Snipes are best pursued whilst under the influence of Something. At least in Kentucky. Oh, it's a mean and dirty trick.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

That's why taking a physician on a snipe hunt was such a kick. And to be totally accurate, you don't capitalize "snipe". To explain snipes to you, I would have to take you on a snipe hunt. It's a catch 22.

Re cow tipping, I still have no experience but I have a cousin who has cows. He has a low opinion of their intelligence . He made me laugh so hard that I was crying with snot and everything when he told us a story about cows getting out of the pasture. The funny part was about how they went out through a tear in the fence but wouldn't go back in the same way.

He tells a very colorful story, and my intimate knowledge of Webmaster tells me, that if I told it exactly the same way, I'd have to re-register at the Helpful Gardener under a different name and email address. There may even be charges filed. I'm not a lawyer but I'm pretty sure I would no longer be a green thumb.

Long story short, the really funny part was how he told the story regarding having to take those $^*((%%%$ stupid cows clean around to the gate a half mile away because they were so ^*&(&^%$ stupid that they wouldn't go back through the ^%^*&%$ tear in the fence they went out of.

So as far as cows go, I'm pretty sure you can tip 'em.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Charlie MV wrote: So as far as cows go, I'm pretty sure you can tip 'em.
But how on earth do they hold onto the money??? :lol:

Cynthia

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

GerriB wrote:Aaah! Snipe hunts are for real! But, question begs: what, exactly, are Snipes, and what do they look like?
The elusive snipe, strictly nocturnal, is difficult to see on account of its excellently camouflaged coloration. The vast majority of snipe hunters are under the influence of advanced fatigue, at least :wink:, when the snipe shows itself (or themselves) and often miss the moment, concluding that there is/are no snipe. :(

Oh ye of little faith! Just because *one* snipe hunt failed to bring back quarry...or did it? :wink: Perhaps the quarry was...not the snipe per se?

Cynthia (who just cannot deal with Dr. Pepper, whether out the nose or down the throat :lol:)

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

Charlie MV wrote:So as far as cows go, I'm pretty sure you can tip 'em.
Nope. Cows don't sleep standing up, which is key to cow tipping. An awake cow would be impossible to tip, as they'd just move, and an asleep cow is laying down.

Besides, it would take 3-4 NFL linebackers to tip a cow. Who here has them on hand?

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

I feel like I'm in a sea of horses and cattle. They are everywhere around here. But I really only KNOW how to eat them. The rest is pure conjecture. I bow to your superior knowledge.

Did you copy that GerriB, no tipping.

Now a0c8c why do they keep the bull in a separate pasture?

josh1812@live.com

I remember my days in cub scouts Snipe Hunting was a must almost every week we used to get so scared.

treeguy

I have led snipe hunts and the best thing is they are real Iwould show non believers our hunting laws for oh they had rail snipe and jack snipe :D
I have also been cow tiping. cows do stand up while sleeping if in close quarters we live verry close to a dairy farm there kids were 2or3 years older than me and I got talked into it you stand back 8-9 feet and charge full speed as soon as you make contact you push up which will knock them off ballance and over they go at least that is what they told me but for some reason probably because they weigh 1200 lbs the oposit happend I went down and you know what was waiting for me on the ground where 80 cows have been all day not fun it was every where mom was not happy either :lol: :lol:

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

Charlie MV wrote:Now a0c8c why do they keep the bull in a separate pasture?
Our family doesn't seperate them. Some do to keep breeding down, that and some bulls are mean so it makes feeding the others harder.
treeguy wrote:I have also been cow tiping. cows do stand up while sleeping if in close quarters
Our family believes in the proper care of cattle, and so they're never crammed enough to have to sleep standing. It's bad for the cattle, they need to rest their legs like all animals. Sleeping standing causes stress.

treeguy

Yea its not right we have never had a cow that had to sleep standing up I wouldnt want to always plenty of straw also guys at work named our last beef happy cow :D
they had a game with the bull it was called don't stop we ran from one side of the pasture to the other before sambo the bull would catch up
I was not a smart child..

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Snipe (plural or singular) vary with the region. Mostly they are generally larval in description, although some have feathers. They can be sedentary or very fast; stealthy; it takes a sharp eye, and acute hearing to track them, especially since they are nocturnal. Here in MI they glow in the dark, very faintly. If you go in the fall when the temps are hovering near freezing and you find one under the leaves, you can pop it in your mouth and make sparks fly out. It would impress the snot out of Charlie MV...
Literally.

As for cow tipping, Cynthia, they keep their money in an udder place.

(I hope you people aren't drinking or eating whilst reading this.)

From an ASPCA point of view and as a scion of farmers, we agree with the giving them room part. From a stupidity point of view, we're thinking spinal compression or a kicking injury. Mostly cow tipping is attempted on a dare after having imbibed too much of some controlled substance. Had some friends (not too bright) who wanted yours truly to join them, on a cloudy night, in unfamiliar territory. We declined. We later heard they caused a stampede, got chased by the resident bull, and had the cops called on them. They were released with a good "talking to" because they were, in fact, just stupid and sober, not drunk and stupid. Next Sunday at church they all had to sit with the parental units looking bored and unhappy. (snicker) Being a small church, the story got blown ALL out of proportion and they were grounded for life; or at least until the Youth Director came to their rescue. Snipe hunts were allowed, yea even encouraged, especially at summer camp, and especially if there was a first-timer in one's cabin, and MOST ESPECIALLY if it was the counselor that was a first-timer!

Well, thanks for the trip down memory lane.

MysticGardener67

For those of you who enjoy a good snipe hunt. Sometimes it requires a great deal of convincing of those skeptical novice hunters. This may help.

There is such a critter as a Snipe. It is a type of wading bird. Which explains why the most successful snipe hunts often take plae in low swampy areas.

If you are having a VERY difficlt time getting others to join the hunt, use this link. IT will add legitamacy to your hunt.

[url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snipe[/url]

Snipe are VERY VERY difficult to hit with a bullet. They have the ability to teleport short distances. However, they are not very smart and they suffer nightblindness. They are also gullible. In the garden of Eden, it was the Snipe that taught the DoDo Logic and Problem solving skills.

These are the reasons why it is best to sniphunt with bags and at night. While they are resting

applestar
Mod

I'm glad this thread came along BEFORE I watched UP. Otherwise the "SNIPE" reference would've completely passed over my head. :roll: :wink:

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”